Summer Transfer Thread 2018

Don
Rather origi went and not Ings myself
Same but with Ings injury record maybe it's for the best. Sturridge might have been best to go but has zero value so we'll see. Still have Solanke but lots of news about a loan to rangers so figure that might be him off.
Origi's better than Ings. I'm not sure it's the way the club will go but if nobody offers a big fee for Origi then I'd rather loan out Solanke and keep Origi. For a start it would be good for Solanke to have a season of first team football but also, if it comes to it, I'd rather be bringing Origi off the bench than Solanke if we're chasing a game. The season before last he really didn't play well and fell out of contention which is why he wanted to go out on loan last year but in Klopp's first season he showed what he's capable of. Prior to getting injured vs Everton he was playing really well and showing signs of developing into a complete centre forward - he was using his size and strength to dominate defenders and had the pace to stretch teams.

edit:

It looks like Utd are firing back in the PR battle with Mourinho. They've briefed the press that they were willing to spend huge fees on the right players but the players Mourinho wanted didn't represent value for money.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...mourinho-wishlist-cash-fears?CMP=share_btn_tw

Last edited:
Soldato
It looks like Utd are firing back in the PR battle with Mourinho. They've briefed the press that they were willing to spend huge fees on the right players but the players Mourinho wanted didn't represent value for money.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...mourinho-wishlist-cash-fears?CMP=share_btn_tw

Bloody good and frankly quite right. Hopefully this is the end for him when he cries like a baby later that he wasn't allowed to spend willy nilly on short term gains.

Our problem is that I'm unsure where we are going to go for our next manager, from what little I know the known talent have been locked down in new projects.

Simeone perhaps

Caporegime
We’re definitely moving into an era where the choice of transfer targets is edging away from the manager.

Already happened at Arsenal in a big way. There were strong rumours in January that Wenger wasn’t too happy about PEA as he didn’t like his attitude, but he was bluntly put in his place by Gazidis.

Don
Buying players a manager doesn't want is a recipe for disaster - you only have to look at Rodgers spell at Liverpool to see how well that worked. The issue at Utd isn't the board wanting to pick players for Mourinho but the profile of the players Mourinho wants and more broadly speaking his lack of concern/interest in anything beyond the few years he expects to be at the club.

Football clubs are run as businesses and that's never been truer than at Utd. Mourinho's style of management and willingness to spend every penny he can is at complete odds with how Utd are run - they only appointed him because they were stung by Moyes and LVG and needed to get back into the CL and that's why they induldged him to begin with. It was never going to last though and they weren't going to allow him to sign another CB, having spent £70m on two already, unless they were happy it made sense financially because history has shown that Mourinho will probably be asking to sign another one next summer.

The beginning of the end probably happened 6 months ago but for the club to be actively briefing against Mourinho before a ball's been kicked this season is a clear sign that they're not going to put up with his comments any more. Previously I thought that things would have to reach Chelsea 15/16 levels for him not to survive the season but it's starting to look a lot more realistic that he'll be gone before next summer now.

Caporegime
It's typical Mourinho. Never wants to coach or improve a player and is hell bent on buying a 29 year old proven player which is normally OK but then when Jose eventually leaves /gets sacked the club is lumbered with half a dozen players approaching 33, on huge pay packets that are difficult to sell on.

Associate
That is also something I dislike with modern football. I know the money means a lot, but isn't part of your duties to also improve the players you have? There is so many times a new manager comes and on the first day goes "oh, i need money to buy new players"..

Caporegime
That is also something I dislike with modern football. I know the money means a lot, but isn't part of your duties to also improve the players you have? There is so many times a new manager comes and on the first day goes "oh, i need money to buy new players"..

Agreed, but then you run into issues with young players needing time and matches to get better but fans, especially at the top clubs, expect Champions League and the board expects the team to be successful too. As much as young players need match time teams also need to be successful. And with the money in the game at the moment it's almost too easy to just go and buy a player rather than take a chance on a youngster.

I do wonder though, with Brexit coming next year will clubs be less inclined to buy a European player that they'll have to jump through hoops for? Although two years old, this article suggests players like Kanté, Payet and Martial possibly wouldn't be granted Work permits if Brexit applied at the time they were bought.

Soldato
So Ings' loan doesn't simply give Southampton the option to purchase him next summer but will 100% become a permanent transfer:

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/311249-danny-ings-liverpool-southampton-transfer

Liverpool press pack are reporting the final fee as £18m + £2m in add-ons and a 20% sell-on clause. I suppose you can say that Southampton owed us one after all the cash we've sent their way over the years.
Really don't see how this deal makes sense for Southampton. Hopefully there is a get out clause for when his knees explode again in 2 weeks time. Big risk considering we just shipped out JRod as an injury problem and we already have Charlie '5 games at a time' Austin.

Man of Honour
Mourinho is effectively finished now, the club have refused to back him and sign his targets. Woodward appears to be making the decisions himself, there is no director of football.

The club are prepared to spend big on the right players, they had £100m ready for Varane, but Madrid wouldn’t sell him.

I understand not wanting to blow huge fees on aging players, but if that’s true they need to scout younger players much more aggressively.

I can only see our season going one way now, Mourinho will probably be gone before long.

Caporegime
Mourinho is effectively finished now, the club have refused to back him and sign his targets. Woodward appears to be making the decisions himself, there is no director of football.

The club are prepared to spend big on the right players, they had £100m ready for Varane, but Madrid wouldn’t sell him.

I understand not wanting to blow huge fees on aging players, but if that’s true they need to scout younger players much more aggressively.

I can only see our season going one way now, Mourinho will probably be gone before long.

I always wonder how barca sign a player for 10 million and sell him for 40 a year later.

It's not like clubs put their price up because we are Utd but put their prices down for Barcelona.

The only player we could really make any tangible profit on is de gea.

Everyone else is basically a loss or flat.

Caporegime
The question would be was the move for Varane an honest attempt or just a PR move so they can now say they were willing to pay that much because they knew the offer wasn’t going to be accepted?
Sounds like our £90m offer for Lemar last summer that the board knew full well was impossible to pull off. Just so they can say “See, we tried”.

Don
Really don't see how this deal makes sense for Southampton. Hopefully there is a get out clause for when his knees explode again in 2 weeks time. Big risk considering we just shipped out JRod as an injury problem and we already have Charlie '5 games at a time' Austin.
We can just pretend you got him on a free and we only paid £55m for VVD ;)

The fact that it's a loan that becomes permanent next summer I find strange. Surely there's no cash flow issues at Southampton considering how little you've spent compared to what you sold in the last year or so. And it's very much being announced that Ings has left for good, even that he's signed a 4 year contract already so it doesn't look like there's a get out clause there. The only explanations I can think of is that it's structured this way so we don't have to pay certain add-ons/clauses in the deal we have with Burnley or that the final fee Southampton pay next summer is dependent on them not getting relegated etc.

Soldato
I think you've nailed it with regards to some Burnley sell on clauses personally.

I think Ings just wants his next rehabilitation time to be a bit nearer home.

Don
To be fair I don't remember him being injured last season, he just didn't get much of a look in until the end of the season when we had so many injuries build up.

Back
Top Bottom