Summer Transfer Window 2017/18 - Rumours & Signings

It'll be aimed at Coutinho himself more than the club, if it's true. So basically trying to get him to kick up an almighty fuss/say he'll down tools/etc/etc. Not that it'll necessarily cause him to do that or work if it does.

You think? Such a short deadline over a game weekend doesn't give him much of an opportunity to kick up a fuss. I suspect it was more a case of hoping we were bluffing and to get us to at least negotiate with them, if not accept the offer.

Not convinced. If their message was aimed at Coutinho then why not make it direct to him? It would be far more convincing to Coutinho if Barca didn't give Liverpool a deadline but instead told him directly that they'll have no choice but to look elsewhere if the deal isn't done by x. By giving the deadline to Liverpool it just looks like a negotiation tactic from Barca to force Liverpool to come to the table and won't be as convincing to Coutinho.

It is if they believe Liverpool's stance is just to get Barca to increase their offer. I touched on it earlier, if you look at the structure of Barca's offers I'm sure they weren't expecting Liverpool to accept them straight off - it appears like they wanted to bring Liverpool to the table to negotiate without showing their hand too early.

I think what nemtizz means by footballer is from a pure technical ability point of view, Messi is superior to Ronaldo. I agree, he is and is better than anybody else on the planet by a distance. Where Ronaldo bridges the gap and has made him similarly effective is through his physicality - Ronaldo's size, pace and power compensates for not being technically as good as Messi.

I hate to think just how good Messi could have been had he been born with Ronaldo's genes.

Those sort of hypothetical questions could be directed at anyone above the average in most sports though.

Of course and I was just thinking out loud. And while I agree that Messi's low centre of gravity helps, it's not as big an advantage of being 6 foot 2 with the pace and power of Ronaldo, not in my opinion anyway.

Wasn't he reporting that Klopp was holding out for Bayern as he was on a plane to Liverpool to sign for us? Not that I believe it's over just yet but there are a few other places reporting the same story and that Barca will go for Di Maria instead. Equally there are Barca based newspapers saying the opposite.

Southampton sign Wesley Hoedt, I think that makes it 6 CBs in the first team squad now.

Someone will be moving on, no need for 6 options.
Who could that be? :p

I saw another couple of articles today on VvD - Southampton still are refusing to sell him.......unless they receive a huge offer.

Peter Jenson, who covers La Liga for the Mail is reporting it too. £101m up front with £37m of easily achievable add-ons - supposedly linked to CL appearances.

Given who is reporting the bid it's clear it's been leaked by Barca so who knows how true these figures are. If we assume they're legit, we'd now be reaching the sort of level where it gives Liverpool a decision to make.

Agree. I mentioned it earlier in the thread, Barca have been trying their best not to show their hand too early so they don't get their pants pulled down but that tactic looks like backfiring on them. Had they gone in with a serious offer 3-4 weeks ago rather than offering 'up to £72m' then there would be a decent chance that a deal gets done. The longer it's gone on, the more expensive any possible deal has become and we're now at a stage where it's questionable whether any amount would be enough.

I'd wait and see just how serious this offer is though. It could well be bs and/or an attempt to force Dortmund into accepting the Dembele offer.

Assuming this bid gets made and these add-ons aren't nonsense, it's certainly reaching the levels where you can make the argument that it makes sense to sell even if you can't fully reinvest the money now - maybe you buy Draxler (for example), be slightly weaker for the time being and then look to bring in players in January or even next summer. I suspect we're not going to sell though.

I'm not sure how winning the FA Cup or CL would have any bearing on their performances in the PL :confused:

Suarez's individual performance in the 13/14 season was as good as anything we've seen. Equalled the League scoring record despite missing the first 5 games through suspension, done so without taking a single penalty (I'm sure the others all scored at least 4-5 pens in their total) and had the most or 2nd most assists in the League (which none of the others would have come close).

Ah yes, because a player can't be as good or better than a player that won the League. Where did Utd finish last season? Their entire squad must be rubbish.

I'd love to know the terms of this deal. He's not likely to feature before January, is he? You've got to assume Utd are paying him peanuts in terms of a basic wage with lots of appearance related bonus's.

Zlatan's situation serves as a warning to the likes of Ox and Sanchez should Arsenal not sell them this window. One injury at the end of the season could prove extremely costly.

Nobody has mentioned it, I wouldn't be surprised if it's more than peanuts, even if he's not playing at the moment.

He's 4 months into recovery, and it usually takes about 8. I think he's ahead of schedule though, he was doing roundhouse kicks on a boxing bag a couple of weeks ago. :p
It doesn't make much sense to pay him anything meaningful right now though. He's not going to play for 3-4 months at the very least and as a free agent he can be signed outside the transfer window. The only reason for signing him right now would be to prevent any other sides getting him but I can't see there being a big line of clubs wanting a player at his age, currently out with a serious injury, let alone being willing to pay him more than a token gesture wage.

I'd imagine his wage is heavily performance/fitness related. He might be getting a minimal basic wage but he'll get a bonus for every game that he's fit for and then a further bonus for appearances.

Back
Top Bottom