Summer Transfer Window 2017/18 - Rumours & Signings

Especially when you consider the price of morata. Getting Ronaldo instead would be better. Look how long Giggs and Scholes went for. Think Scholes was 34ish when he scored that blinder against Barcelona in the 08 semi's and even after that came out of retirement to win the league.

They can make double that on shirt sales. Free money for signing him innit.

Of course they care about significant tax evasion, hence why they'll pursue this if appropriate, and why they've gone after Messi/Mascherano/et al. The football leaks thing has given them ammunition.

I presume that was sarcasm.

According to United’s online shop, the printing and badges cost an extra £13.61. If we’re being optimistic, and United earn all of that plus 15% of the shirt revenue, that amounts to £23.82 per shirt. Which means, to cover the full £89 million, United would need to sell 3,736,356 Pogba shirts.

And, AFAIK, they only make money as the retailer. If someone buys a shirt online or from Sports direct they get nothing. That's why Nike, Adidas and others pay so much to clubs.

A word of warning, after years of banging my head against a wall with this I've decided that anybody mentioning shirt sales in relation to a transfer fee will be permabanned.

So Ronaldo throwing his toys out of his pram with regards to his supposed tax evasion lol.

Just pay the tax owed and be done with it, geez it's not like he isn't short of a few ten million or so lol.

No doubt Real will make it up to him by bumping up his weekly pay to appease him and his tantrum.

Especially when you consider the price of morata. Getting Ronaldo instead would be better. Look how long Giggs and Scholes went for. Think Scholes was 34ish when he scored that blinder against Barcelona in the 08 semi's and even after that came out of retirement to win the league.

Well Utd would still need another striker, However good Ronaldo is , the number of games he actually plays is coming down and chosen more carefully (seemed to be suggested in the CL final anyway, havent looked at the figures but seems reasonable) - so it would kind of make sense to get Morata or someone like that anyway

Well Utd would still need another striker, However good Ronaldo is , the number of games he actually plays is coming down and chosen more carefully (seemed to be suggested in the CL final anyway, havent looked at the figures but seems reasonable) - so it would kind of make sense to get Morata or someone like that anyway

Unicorns are blue, never seen one but seems reasonable . Seems he played about the average he usually does for Real. I being a United fan wouldn't say no to him coming back, can't think of any other Utd fans I know who would.

I wouldn't want him back for the amount he would cost. He is getting older, will be more injury prone and the PL is not the spanish league. He will get kicked from pillar to post. I want us to build for the future, not just a really expensive risk for another 2-3 years. I don't want another Rooney situation where we have a player on mega money who is holding the team back. He probably wouldn't be that but I don't want to risk it.

I wouldn't want him back for the amount he would cost. He is getting older, will be more injury prone and the PL is not the spanish league. He will get kicked from pillar to post. I want us to build for the future, not just a really expensive risk for another 2-3 years. I don't want another Rooney situation where we have a player on mega money who is holding the team back. He probably wouldn't be that but I don't want to risk it.
Difference is rooney is *****, Ronaldo is still performing. I doubt utd would ever get him back regardless

Doesn't he have an accountant to sort all of this? Shouldn't fault lie with them?

I think Messi tried to claim the same knd of thing recently - yet was still found guilty

The below was certainly mentioned a few times in different articles about the case

"The tribunal ruled that the 29-year-old knew his obligations and knowingly defrauded the government, stating that "avoidable ignorance" does not exclude him from responsibility"

Seems he played about the average he usually does for Real. I being a United fan wouldn't say no to him coming back, can't think of any other Utd fans I know who would.

Actually he didnt - he played about 10 games less than he would "normally" - since 2010 more often than not he has played ~55 games a season and this season it was 46 - and since that time its the league games where he has played significantly less season on season (in one sense where Utd would need him most).

Maybe some of those were injuries, some were niggles and some it just wasnt worth risking him for - only ZZ and RM management will really know how serious or not those were

The attraction of getting a player like that even for 2 - 3 years is obvious but given the astronomical wages (and the fact he is a Nike player, and Utd are now Adidas - wouldnt put off the deal but might make it harder to get over the line), and everything would be geared through him - Im with fez on this one, just not sure its worth it

The EPL has changed significantly since he was last here, its a lot more brutal (and a lot less between most teams), and while he isnt exactly a wilting flower it may be the wrong move for him at this stage.

Last edited:
Actually he didnt - he played about 10 games less than he would "normally" - since 2010 more often than not he has played ~55 games a season and this season it was 46

You do have a wonderful way of distorting facts to suit your argument Frank. In 8 seasons at Real, he's only played more than 48 games in a season 4 times and even prior to this season he averaged less than 50 appearances per season in the previous 7 seasons. He's played a few games less than previous but it's not this massive drop off that you're trying to claim.

He was always going to age better than somebody like Rooney because he takes care of himself. His pace will gradually go and he'll become less effective as the years go by but you can see him, similar to Zlatan, playing week in week out at a decent level for another 3 years. Whether that's enough to justify the £150m+ fee and £500k per week wages for 5 years is another matter.

How much would Ronaldo actually cost? The reported 800m buyout clause is just ridiculous.

As a united fan I would love him returning and Possibly even retiring here but don't see him being worth more than 50m.

How much would Ronaldo actually cost? The reported 800m buyout clause is just ridiculous.

As a united fan I would love him returning and Possibly even retiring here but don't see him being worth more than 50m.

£50m?! Not likely.

Obviously nobody will pay that buyout clause, but I can see Real Madrid wanting north of £100m, not that I think they'll sell him at all.

I hope we push the boat out and get him back but I don't see it happening.

£50m?! Not likely.

Obviously nobody will pay that buyout clause, but I can see Real Madrid wanting north of £100m, not that I think they'll sell him at all.

I hope we push the boat out and get him back but I don't see it happening.

Haha yeah I guess we all know how ridiculous transfer fees are now.. Won't be long before any decent player will be £100 mil minimum

I would be very surprised if he left, more toys being thrown to get a new bumper pay increase like Rooney did.

He's not going to give up on his record of winning leagues and champion leagues to return to Utd.

Back
Top Bottom