Summer Transfer Window 2017/18 - Rumours & Signings

James to United for 60mil? Seems a lot for a bit part player.

Not sure hes what united need either...they could do with spending that in midfield tbh.

I think James is a quality player, but not quite sure where he'd fit into the United team, doesn't Mkhitaryan take up the number 10? Maybe he's thinking of sticking him out wide, but that wouldn't really suit him he's much better in behind a striker.

I think they should be concentrating on getting someone in like Kroos, he would be dynamite for them. Not sure Real would be too keen to sell mind.

I think James is a quality player, but not quite sure where he'd fit into the United team, doesn't Mkhitaryan take up the number 10? Maybe he's thinking of sticking him out wide, but that wouldn't really suit him he's much better in behind a striker.

I think hes decent...i dont think he takes United up a level which is ultimately what they are trying to do. Putting him out wide is just silly imo, sign an actual wide player and put them wide.

I think hes decent...i dont think he takes United up a level which is ultimately what they are trying to do. Putting him out wide is just silly imo, sign an actual wide player and put them wide.

Indeed, he'd be an improvement on Mkhitaryan imo but only marginally, that's not really the position they need to be looking to strengthen.

Who knows what Mourinho is thinking, perhaps he's looking at set piece taking of which James is pretty damn good. Maybe he's had enough of the likes of Blind and Rashford's (lol) pathetic corners.

I think you lot are being a bit harsh on James. He's got 8 goals and 6 assists from only 21 appearances in La Liga this season (8 of which were as a sub), that's pretty impressive numbers. I don't think his attacking ability is in doubt, he'd definitely be an upgrade on what United currently have. It's his defensive work that I'd be a bit concerned about, he's not what you'd consider a physical player and I don't know if he'd suit United the way Mourinho wants to play.

I think you lot are being a bit harsh on James. He's got 8 goals and 6 assists from only 21 appearances in La Liga this season (8 of which were as a sub), that's pretty impressive numbers. I don't think his attacking ability is in doubt, he'd definitely be an upgrade on what United currently have. It's his defensive work that I'd be a bit concerned about, he's not what you'd consider a physical player and I don't know if he'd suit United the way Mourinho wants to play.

A good chunk of those goals have come in absolute routs tho...two in a 6 goal won for eg but i guess they are still ok numbers.

I just dont think hes what United are crying out for personally.

It doesn't really matter whether he suits them or not. All that matters is Mourinho hooking up his old pal Jorge. James will be off back to Monaco in 2/3 years.

James is a very talented player but from what I've seen of him he's more of a luxury player who can blow hot and cold.

We have Mata and Mkhitaryan who are not really that dissimilar to him in some ways. If it is true then Jose must want him to play the No. 10 position in his 4-2-3-1 system for next season.

Even with him, we'll still need a properly quick and hard working wide player, and a top striker. Probably a new left back too.

Oh yeah James would by no means be the complete answer to United's issues. Like you say, we need at least one striker, a winger who's better than Lingard and more consistent than Mkhi, a left-back and probably a CM/DM as well. Obviously goals is what United need, and losing Zlatan we'll not only need a replacement for his goals but another player or two who can add to what he got this year. If the James deal does happen then I'd expect he'll be the first of several attacking additions.

Oh yeah James would by no means be the complete answer to United's issues. Like you say, we need at least one striker, a winger who's better than Lingard and more consistent than Mkhi, a left-back and probably a CM/DM as well. Obviously goals is what United need, and losing Zlatan we'll not only need a replacement for his goals but another player or two who can add to what he got this year. If the James deal does happen then I'd expect he'll be the first of several attacking additions.
He is no answer at all thats the problem

Mhki has come on song in the 2nd season at his last two maybe three clubs, admittedly consistnacy is his biggest problem at the moment but it just doesnt make sense to spend £60m ~ on a player when we have hardly given a similar player from last season much of a chance.

The other big issue is that James doesnt actually score that much - look at his full record, 25ish goals in nearly 3 seasons at Real, at that kind of price its not that great. Ok he has a reasonable amount of assists in that time but still, its stupid money for a bit of a meh player - especially when its likely to cost similar amount in wages to what Rooney is currently on.

The other big issue imo is DM, where Utd obviously need a much more defensive minded player than Herrera (who imo has been one of Utd's players of the season alongside Bailly) in an un-natural position for him. It would be so much better to have a new DM alongside Herrera with Pogba being moved forward into his more natural position (and where he has less defensive duties to worry about, which isnt anatural part of his game anyway). Which just makes James a very expensive sub

Completely agree about the DM position. Herrera has been class this season, I'd probably say he's been our player of the season, and yeah it would definitely be good to get a DM in so that we could play Herrera alongside him and push Pogba forward. We need a Kante-like player who has the fitness to go up and down the pitch for 90 minutes, the problem is finding someone suitable. I really hope United don't go for Dier, I know we've been linked with him but I think he's the poorest of the three midfielders that Spurs usually play (him, Wanyama and Dembele) and if anything he's a downgrade on Herrera.

If Mourinho continues with his 4-2-3-1 formation next season then I think there's definitely a space in the three behind the striker for James, I'd prefer him there to Lingard, who's had a really disappointing season imo, and Mkhi has an awful lot to prove too. Personally I want Mourinho to give Martial more of a chance, he has more pace and better feet than Mkhi. Also, don't forget that United have the money from Schneiderlin and Depay, so that will probably cover a large chunk of James' fee. Obviously this all depends on who else United are looking to sign. I wouldn't take James over Griezmann for example, and if it was an either/or situation then I'd definitely pass up James, but if he's coming in alongside a couple of other attacking players (somone like Lukaku, Griezmann, Mbappe, etc) then he'd be a good addition to the squad imo. Also, wages are hardly going to be an issue for United. If we do get rid of Rooney and Zlatan then that frees up over £650k per week in wages, and if it's to be believed that Pogba is on £165k a week then I really don't see United paying James more than that. Zlatan was only able to demand so much because he came on a free and Rooney's wages are ridiculous for a player of his now poor quality. In hindsight United were foolish to agree such a deal, but at the time they couldn't stomach losing a star player to City.

If Mourinho continues with his 4-2-3-1 formation next season then I think there's definitely a space in the three behind the striker for James

Where? I can't see Mourinho not buying a defensive midfielder this summer (I was shocked he didn't last year) which will mean, assuming Herrera doesn't get bombed out, Utd playing a 4-3-3 more often or Pogba becoming the number 10 in a 4-2-3-1. That leaves the 2 wide roles. Now ask yourself why does Mourinho trust players like Lingard more than Martial. Mourinho wants pace, energy and work rate in his wide players and I'm not convinced James meets the criteria.

There could potentially be quite a bit of activity at Utd this summer. With question marks over De Gea's future there's possibly 6 first team spots that might need to be addressed this summer - keeper, left back, centre back (?), DM, winger and centre forward. And that still leaves Valencia as your first choice RB :p

edit: I'll be stunned if Utd don't try to sign Willian this summer btw.

Back
Top Bottom