Summer Transfer Window 2017/18 - Rumours & Signings

The one question mark you could have with Ronaldo isn't so much picking up injuries but how he adapts to losing his pace. Ronaldo hasn't got the technical ability that Messi has but what puts Ronaldo on the same level is his physicality, his pace and power. Obviously he's still a hugely talented player but without the physical dominance he has over players it becomes much harder to justify the sort of money it will take to sign him.

Anyway, are we actually taking this seriously now? I'd be shocked if anything comes of this - Ronaldo's forever kicking up a fuss and flirting with other clubs only to get a better deal for himself at Real.

If Salah plays as well as last season then its a good signing but I am unsure exactly where he would play. Generally plays the same position is Mane.

You remember the 5 weeks around January and the last 6 weeks of the season when Mane wasn't available? Wouldn't it be nice if we had more than 1 player for a position? Being left footed he's also an option on the left if at any point we want or need to stretch teams horizontally too. Equally there will be times where you might want Mane on the left, cutting in on his right foot too.

When everyone was fit and available our attack was better than anything else in the league. Our problem was that we were 1 injury/suspension/afcon away from having to completely change the way we wanted to play. Signing another pacey, flexible forward was an absolute must for us this summer - somebody like Salah not only provides us with direct cover for Mane in particular but gives us so much more flexibility in how we can line-up too.

Yeah I think he would be a good signing though he would also be playing in the Africa Cup of Nations.
That won't be for another 2 seasons and I wouldn't bet against us signing another option for our front 3 this summer.

There's a lot of talk that we want Keita but if we can't get him I can see Coutinho moving back into a midfield role far more often and us possibly buying another forward instead of a midfielder.
Apart from Chelsea, spurs and man city
No, ours was better. The first half of the season when we had our forward line intact we were tearing teams apart for fun.

Spurs were better throughout the season, particularly in the last handful of games (barring the West Ham game).
It's almost as if you didn't read what I said. The comment I made, which was questioned, was about Liverpool's first choice front 3 or 5 if you include Lallana and Wijnaldum.

When we had them available to us, which unfortunately wasn't very often, our front line was better than anything else we saw in the League last season. Our problem was when you took out one of that front three we had no replacement and we would have to completely change the way we played, which wasn't nearly as effective.

So you responded to my post by not actually responding to what I said. Of course you read and understood it right ;)

Fwiw, Spurs ended up scoring the most goals last season (I think anyway) so of course they had the most effective attack over the course of the season. I never commented on that though. When Coutinho, Mane and Firmino were on the pitch together they were unplayable and we were tearing teams apart - unfortunately for less than half the season we had them on the pitch together and without them we weren't nearly as good.

It will be even harder for them as they have Europe this year.
This argument always makes me laugh. Why is it that the vast majority of the time, it's the teams that are in Europe that finish in the top few positions in the League? Have you ever considered that the extra money that being in the CL brings and the more and better players you can sign because of it, is a bigger advantage than those extra games? Or should we be expecting West Brom to challenge for the league next season as they will play far fewer games than last seasons top 6?

If Liverpool went into next season with the exact same squad as they did the season just gone then you'd have a point but we won't.

The top/big teams have a larger squad to allow them to play all the extra games without too many issues. Yes playing the EL or CL is a hinderance in the league but usually all the top teams in a league are all in the CL and EL so it evens out. They are also considerably better than the next tier of teams so the fact they are not in europe won't make enough difference to allow them to break into the top 4-5 teams. You can't say that chelsea having little else to do this year apart from PL hasn't helped them.

I think you missed the point of my post. Why is there such a big gap to the next tier of sides? Why do the top sides have greater depth squads? Because qualifying for the CL brings extra revenue, the extra revenue that you need to buy better players and carry larger squads.

Of course Chelsea had an advantage but they're an exception to the rule. They had a squad built on Champions League money - they had a CL quality/depth squad without the extra fixtures.

Well you scored less and finished below Chelsea, Spurs and MC for a reason. Not sure how many of your fwd line would get in those teams
Am I speaking a different language? My comment you quoted was specifically talking about how good our front line was when we had our first choice players available - we barely had them all available from the end of November until the end of the season though which explains why our form and amount of goals we scored tailed off as the season went on.

The attacking football we were playing until then was better than anything any other side produced all season and we were scoring at a rate that would have far exceeded the totals that Spurs, Chelsea or City got. Obviously it counts for nothing - I was only pointing out our need to improve the depth of our attacking options so that it doesn't happen again.

Yeah yeah and if Leicester had like they did the season before they would have won the league.

Don't be deluded.

You had a fairly good attacking line up when fit no need to go OT and claim it was the best
I must be talking a different language - did I not say that it counted for nothing and I was only making the point to explain why we needed to improve our depth of attacking options?

Imo our attacking football when we had our first choice players fit was the best in the League last season, you might not agree with me but you can't even understand basic points so I'm not going to worry too much about what you think :)

The difference is those teams have the depth. Liverpool do not as you pointed out yourself.
Did not last season but will have far greater depth next season as a result of being in the CL.

Depending on which reports you believe we're going to either equal or break or transfer record on Salah and could very well break it a further 2 times this summer. Yes, we'll have more games but that will be mitigated by having greater depth to our squad too.

Very true, not sure Chelsea would want to sell him to us though. Nobody seems to rate Dier, pundit or fan, I don't get the fuss either... he's always looked quite average.
I said cheaper but yea, I can't see Chelsea selling him to you for anything other than silly money. Even so, anything is better than £50m on Dier.

Back
Top Bottom