Summer Transfer Window 2017/18 - Rumours & Signings

I wouldn't call it a relatively small fee for a championship team. Whilst I take your point about putting in the shop window, if memory serves me right I don't recall too many champ players selling for 20m+

Maybe theyre taking a gamble on going up but heck whatever the situation I'm happy on bagging this calibre of this player
It's relatively small compared to the fee that was supposedly being demanding when he was being linked with Liverpool etc. And if he were to prove himself at Wolves and show everyone he's' as good as they say, in today's market, you'll get 3 times what you've paid.

I'm not sure you can criticise his effort when he's played. His lifestyle off the pitch is another matter though. He hasn't taken care of himself off the pitch and that, combined with the miles in his legs due to how young he came onto the scene meant that he was always going to fall away a lot younger than most players do. Because of the way he looks after himself (or doesn't), people often over look that although he's only 31(?), he's played more games than a lot of 35 year olds.

It's not really guaranteed though is it Frank. Sure it's a safer bet than somebody coming from abroad but plenty of players have moved within the Prem and flopped. How will Lukaku cope with the pressure that he's going to be under because just like Pogba, his fee will be used as a stick to beat him with if he doesn't hit the ground running - some players thrive under the extra pressure and responsibility, others wilt.

I must be naive here, but why is Rooney off on a free and not bought? I also read Utd are subsidising his wages. Sound like a bad deal to me; is getting rid of his wages that much of a (good) impact?

It depends on just how much Utd are contributing to his wages. If he's not going to feature then £300k per week is a hell of a lot of money and an amount that no other side is going to pay him. Utd's choice was save a slice of the £15m a year he earns and let him go for free or pay him that to sit around.

The other theory is that it's a condition of the Lukaku deal. That's certainly something that's being pushed by Liverpool based journos - they're placing a £10m value on the Rooney part of the deal, which although he's left for free, that could be the pay-off that they're referring to.

two significant differences with the deals - 1) he gets a full pre-season in 2) he is already used to the EPL

He is less likely to wilt after playing in the EPL and visiting OT , and he is already relatively mature - but yes its still a possibility but if anyone knows before they arrive he knows what to expect

Huh :confused: I wasn't saying Pogba flopped if that's what you've read or compared him to Lukaku? I only mentioned Pogba because of the fee and how it creates added pressure on a player and will be used against him.

I know Lukaku's used to the League but you can sign players from abroad that will have a full pre-season too :confused:

I was simply saying that it's not guaranteed that Lukaku will produce. Yes there is less risk than a player from abroad but just like when Moyes moved from Everton to Utd or when countless other players have moved from lesser clubs to bigger clubs in the same League, the expectations and pressures you're under at Utd are far greater than at Everton (x10 because of the fee) and only time will tell whether he can handle it.

and I was saying why the ease of transition should be considerably easier than Pogba - that's all....

Ok, I'm not sure I ever disputed that and in actual fact acknowledged that it's a lesser risk than signing a player from abroad. It is not however guaranteed that he'll settle though which is what you initially said - we've seen lots of players fail to settle when moving between clubs from the same league and that's without the huge price tag on his head.

which Ive already answered - and yet you continue going on about it

It's actually impossible to debate anything with you Frank. You make a ridiculous statement and when people pick you up on it you respond with the most incomprehensible gibberish ever. The only reason I've had to repeat myself is because your responses have had no relevance to the posts you've been replying to and I'm left wondering if we're having two completely different conversations.

So again, for clarity. You claimed that Lukaku was guaranteed to be a long term success. That's nonsense. Is he less of a risk than a player coming from abroad? Yes but it's by no means a guarantee. Countless players have moved within the same league and not been able to play to the same level as before. That's all before you consider the added pressure that Lukaku will be under moving to a side like Utd compared to Everton and with everybody already questioning the fee.

Has anybody considered that James just isn't that good? Although I agree with the above regarding prices for PL sides, it's not because they're PL sides that prices go up but because they're rich - the same issues apply to the likes of Real, Barca, PSG and Bayern too.

The deal between Bayern and Real is what it is because that's what the market determined. I mentioned on here when he was being linked with Utd, James is not a Mourinho player. He's also not the type of player Guardiola, Klopp or Conte would go for either. You're now left with just 2 or 3 clubs that could afford his wages let alone a huge fee and even so, Bayern would only take him on loan with the option to buy him. As above, although he's a very talented player technically, I'm not convinced he's as good a player (in actual match scenarios) as his reputation suggests.

I was talking more generally but yea, I suppose there will be the odd game where you might leave out Herrera or whoever you sign as your DM and play Pogba deeper.

A few reports around tonight that Utd really are after Dier. Not sure how to feel about that. On one hand it's great that Utd might waste £50m+ on a bang average player but on the other hand, the thought of Spurs getting £100m for Walker and Dier is quite concerning. If spent well Spurs could be a hell of a lot better off selling those two duds.

James has done well everywhere he's gone, even when not getting regular matches. Sure his style won't fit every team, but he is world class, no doubt about it.

Saying he isn't that good is just madness tbh.

He's not the type of player for those managers.... how do you come to that conclusion exactly? Jose with ozil, klopp with gotze, Conte hasn't really had anyone that close, but pretty sure if they had any chance of getting him they would go for it.

I don't agree that's what the market determined at all, plenty of cases where the will of the player and willingness of the club has allowed transfers to go through at a lower value. Tulisso and Sule both for lower amounts to Bayern than what others offered.

Toprak to Dortmund, mandzukic to AM, Rodriguez to Milan, guierro to Dortmund, lacazette to AM if they didn't get a transfer ban. That's just off the top of my head.

James wanted the club/manager, Bayern don't overpay - where do you go from that point? Let 70 mil rot in the bench? Keep a non EU spot occupied and keep paying the wage?

Not that good relative to the hype around him. He's a talented player but he's a huge step below the best players in the world. His problem is he's a luxury player which those managers don't typically accommodate. Ozil at Real maybe falls into the same boat but Real are one of 3 or 4 clubs (Bayern being one of the others) that can carry luxury players - there's not a chance that Mourinho would have him at Utd though because he knows he can't afford to carry players like James.

I understand that transfer fees can get knocked down when a selling club is desperate and a player is adamant that he'll only join a particular club but how have you decided that was the case this time and James would only join Bayern? I find it unlikely seeing as over the last couple of months he's been whored out all around Europe in desperation to find somebody that will take him and none of those manager/clubs were interested. And for such a great player, why are Real so desperate to get rid of him that they're willing to loan him out for 2 seasons? Surely such a world class player wouldn't be left to rot on the bench and would be far better to keep than accept such an offer? Maybe, just maybe Real are just cutting their losses and Bayern's opportunistic offer was the best they could get.

I disagree, he does. He was signed for a hugely inflated fee on the back of his performances at the World Cup and hasn't lived up to the hype. Again, if he's so good and he's delivered what was expected of him then why are Real considering letting one of their most expensive signings leave at all let alone on a 2 year loan deal?

Real are clearly desperate to get shot of him and the lack of interest has forced them to accept this offer.

Real don't play a central attacking midfielder any more, that's the main reason he hasn't played as much isn't it? His record is still fairly good but it's understandable they want to move him on if he doesn't fit their tactics any more.
No more or less than before, they just don't want him.
Real like selling big stars as much as they do signing them, Di Maria, Ozil, James, Higuain, Sneijder, Robben, the majority I bet they regret.
That's true, they do often sell players to raise money to pay for the next high profile signing. Key difference here is they've not sold him.
Isco plays there but he actually puts in a decent shift, James does not.
Exactly the point I was making when I called him a luxury player. He's a talent but he's not good enough to justify being carried.

Walker to City reportedly almost done. £50m for Kyle Walker! I don't care what that worked out as in 2002, he's not worth it.
To be honest, I think Sig at £40m is a better buy than Keita at £70m or Dier at £50m. He's class, one of the best CAMs in the league.

Have you ever seen Keita play? That's not me saying I think he's worth £60-70m because I've not seen him enough so can't really say.

Sig's a decent player but he's not great and at 27 you're not going to get a huge amount of years out of him either - £40m is a lot. Dier's bang average so even him being fairly young, £50m is crazy money for him.

That's wrong, his position relies on assists and he was 3rd in the PL in an awful side. He's very underrated, not worth 40m but certainly deserves to be at a top 7 side.

Big fish in a small pond. Everything at Swansea was built around him and all their attacks went through him. He's clearly very talented but similar to what I said about Rodriguez, he's a bit of a luxury player and ultimately not good enough (for anybody better than Everton) to justify the fact that he offers next to nothing to the team when he's not on the ball.

I've not seen Keita play, but he's never played in the Premier League and has really just ha done breakout season. £60-70m for a club like Liverpool (who I support) who do not go around spaffing £50m plus on players is an absolutely massive risk. If we get him I'd love him to be successful, and I've said a few times that as a club we should take more risks on transfers from abroad (as we did with Suarez, which worked out brilliantly), but right now I'd take Sig who's succeeded year in year out in the PL and is two years younger for 50% less.

Lots of players haven't played in the PL - there are decent players out of the PL too ;)

As I said, I've not seen much of him to be able to comment too much but it's slightly unfair to say he's not worth something when you've not seen him play. By all accounts he was outstanding last season and as I've mentioned on here before, from the bits I've seen and what I've read about him (and his stats) he has incredible all round ability. He combines a lot of the defensive work you see somebody like Kante do with seriously good technical ability - you can watch clips of him and you'd think he was an out and out DM then you can watch highlights of another game and he plays in midfield like Lallana does. And he's 22, 5 years younger than Sig.

Anyway, according twitter, Bild are reporting that we've had a £57m bid rejected for him.

I'll find a way to manage.

The Guardian are reporting that we're close to agreeing a deal with Hull for Robertson. That deal has reportedly been all but agreed since March - the fact that it's taken so long to tie up makes me think the deal was dependent on other transfers. That could be as simple as whether other LB's were attainable but could also be linked to how much we spend on other areas - for example, if we missed out on Keita and signed a cheaper midfielder, we might then target a better/more expensive LB.

Back
Top Bottom