Summer Transfer Window 2017/18 - Rumours & Signings

Soldato
I think way too many people buy into the transfer gossip and treat everything they hear as fact, when most of the time these stories or rumours are only started because they know people will lap them up.

A story about a player rejecting Arsenal because Wenger 'messed around' for too long before deciding to put in a decent bid, is always going to get people reading/clicking/sharing. Whether it's true or not is almost irrelevant, because the truth is there were probably many factors not just one thing. I think it's pretty rare that anyone will ever know the truth about exactly why most transfers do or don't happen, so it's not really worth getting too caught in stories which are mostly designed to sell papers, generate clicks, or just increase certain people's profile in the football gossip world.

Associate
I think way too many people buy into the transfer gossip and treat everything they hear as fact, when most of the time these stories or rumours are only started because they know people will lap them up.

A story about a player rejecting Arsenal because Wenger 'messed around' for too long before deciding to put in a decent bid, is always going to get people reading/clicking/sharing. Whether it's true or not is almost irrelevant, because the truth is there were probably many factors not just one thing. I think it's pretty rare that anyone will ever know the truth about exactly why most transfers do or don't happen, so it's not really worth getting too caught in stories which are mostly designed to sell papers, generate clicks, or just increase certain people's profile in the football gossip world.
True, but itsn't that the point of this thread? everyone loves a bit of gossip :p Hell if i believed all the gossip and transfer rumors over the last few years we would have signed half of Barca and Real Madrid, and im sure Liverpool would have signed the other half :p

Soldato
Don't get me wrong, I like coming in here to read the latest gossip - it was just meant as a reminder to apply a liberal dose of salt and not get too caught up in it all.

Wenger is Wenger, he'll stick to his principals and that will almost always leave him exposed to accusations of failing in the transfer window. Whether Lemar specifically wanted to move to one team or another, whether he would have moved if a deal had been agreed between clubs earlier in the window, who knows. Even if he actually came out and said he would have moved, it would probably all be a ploy to get offered a better contract before the next window :p

Soldato
So, guess which manager has popped up to say that he nearly signed Mbappe last year?

Eighteen-year-old France striker Kylian Mbappe, who joined Paris St-Germain on loan from Monaco in the transfer window, says joining Arsenal was a "real option" after meeting Gunners boss Arsene Wenger.

Caporegime
Eighteen-year-old France striker Kylian Mbappe, who joined Paris St-Germain on loan from Monaco in the transfer window, says joining Arsenal was a "real option" after meeting Gunners boss Arsene Wenger.
Old story, wenger decided not to sign him because his family wanted a big kickback ie payment upfront, think it was something £7-8mill.

Soldato
Even if the emails are true - thats a pretty derisory offer on WHU part imo

only 8m a year for three years , for such a young but experienced player coming to the EPL (even before the market went to hell in a handbasket)

fez

fez

Caporegime

I'm not talking about this year. Wenger did his standard "I nearly signed him before he was famous" spiele and claimed that they came close to signing him last summer.

Soldato
I'm not talking about this year. Wenger did his standard "I nearly signed him before he was famous" spiele and claimed that they came close to signing him last summer.

I just don't see why that's a big deal. Any half decent manager was probably aware of him last year and would have at least started to look at the possibility of signing him.

Wenger is always asked about these sort of things and what else is he meant to say? That he was unaware of the player, or that he just made no attempt to do anything about it?

The point is Wenger gets put in these positions because people know that by asking certain questions, they'll get an answer that gives them a nice story that people will continue to lap up.

fez

fez

Caporegime
I just don't see why that's a big deal.

Come on, Wenger is famous for claiming that Arsenal nearly signed every top player on the planet before team X got him. No other manager has this reputation. Its not a big deal, its just a bit of a running joke and another thing that annoys Arsenal fans when they don't sign top players very often.

Associate
Come on, Wenger is famous for claiming that Arsenal nearly signed every top player on the planet before team X got him. No other manager has this reputation. Its not a big deal, its just a bit of a running joke and another thing that annoys Arsenal fans when they don't sign top players very often.
Most of them are 100% fact, not claims. Classic Wenger! :p, Rumor going around that lemar has agreed to move to arsenal in December, 5yr deal 250k a week

Soldato

That's sort of my point. Every manager will have plenty of players they 'nearly signed', but because he's talked about it in the past and got that reputation, people keep looking for that story and so bring it up at every opportunity looking for an easy story. Everyone knows he's always been one to try and get 'value' so it shouldn't be a surprise that he's in for this sort of player but often misses out due to the level of competition for signing top players these days.

Soldato
No, he didnt say who he'd prefer, rumor was he would play for either. Latest is hes agreed a deal to join, monaco have already accepted to sell to arsenal
Be a good buy if true. They are probably looking at Barca, thinking he might get injured. Let's sell whilst the English have gone insane.

Man of Honour
Chelsea and A.Madrid have agreed terms for the transfer of Costa.
He's an absolute nutter but a hell of a centre forward, shame he's not going to be in the PL anymore as he is pure theatre in all regards.

Back
Top Bottom