Summer Transfer Window 2020/21 - Rumours & Signings *please quote sources*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
Luiz has always possesed all the qualities you'd want from a CB, minus the brain.

There's nothing wrong with spending money to win the league, the only issue I have with City/Chelsea is where that money came from. United and Liverpool can spend what they like to win the league imo, the money is usually generated from sells or the commerical side of the business. In City's case, the academy is still relatively new and will take time to start reeping rewards. They don't have the worldwide appeal of a team like pool/united so the money will come from the owners/prize money.

Don
City's recruitment is amazingly good tbf, the likes of Sane, Laporte, Ederson, Fernandinho, KDB, Silva and loads more were all absolute bargains. They hardly go on flunk money on any old world class player. They make them world clas and recruit players that suit their style. Basically copying Leeds :D

Last edited:
Don
City's recruitment is amazingly good tbf, the likes of Sane, Laporte, Ederson, Fernandinho, KDB, Silva were all absolute bargains. They hardly go on flunk money on any old world class player. They make them world clas and recruit players that suit their style. Basically copying Leeds :D
Hmm, I'm not sure I agree there Andrew. Sane and Ederson have been good signings, I'm not sure you could say either turned out amazing - the other 4 have been but were all signed for huge money at the time they were signed. And for every Laporte there's been a Mangala, Cancelo, Mendy, Otamendi, Bravo, Stones etc. There recruitment has been very hit and miss but when you're buying at least 2-3 £40m+ players every summer it's hard not to end up with a good side.

Don
Hmm, I'm not sure I agree there Andrew. Sane and Ederson have been good signings, I'm not sure you could say either turned out amazing - the other 4 have been but were all signed for huge money at the time they were signed. And for every Laporte there's been a Mangala, Cancelo, Mendy, Otamendi, Bravo, Stones etc. There recruitment has been very hit and miss but when you're buying at least 2-3 £40m+ players every summer it's hard not to end up with a good side.

Even the duds you mentioned were signed with very good reps/potential, Bravo, Mangala and Otamendi, even Stones. Although some fees were mental at the time but not so much now, ie Sterling and Walker. Mendy has been hampered by injuries. People forget the impact Sane had before getting injured/attitude. Ederson has been a brilliant signing?

Don
Even the duds you mentioned were signed with very good reps/potential, Bravo, Mangala and Otamendi, even Stones. Although some fees were mental at the time but not so much now, ie Sterling and Walker. Mendy has been hampered by injuries. People forget the impact Sane had before getting injured/attitude. Ederson has been a brilliant signing?
Signing players with good reputations is easy, all you need is money. Signing players that actually go on and perform for you is the hard part. The transfer market exploding because of Neymar's transfer isn't really something you can credit City with either - you can only judge fees at the time. Sterling has certainly gone on to prove his worth and more but Walker was a hell of a lot of money for a decent player. Bravo, Mangala, Otamendi and Stones have all been really bad buys, which most sides would never be able to recover from financially.

Mendy looked rubbish even before his injury and as talented as Sane is, he never really established himself in the side, often being left out and not pleasing Pep with his lack of discipline (on the pitch). Not having Ederson as anything more than good though. He's not a great shot stopper and he's a bit of a lunatic that makes a lot of rash decisions and mistakes. Alisson is a long way ahead of him. In fact it's scary to imagine how good this City side could be if they had Alisson and VVD.

And

And

Associate
I'd like to see City sign Camavinga from Rennes. Not 100% sold on Ake but Torres looks to be the part.

And yes, we've bought our fair share of donkeys in the last few years, but that's hardly an exclusive club to be in is it.

I don't like the money, don't like the spending and it'll all go horribly wrong at some point and team Abu Dhabi will disappear, but I'm enjoying the ride while it lasts - we've won a title in my lifetime (I'd have been happy with just one, nevermind four), what more can a football fan want?

Don
Signing players with good reputations is easy, all you need is money. Signing players that actually go on and perform for you is the hard part. The transfer market exploding because of Neymar's transfer isn't really something you can credit City with either - you can only judge fees at the time. Sterling has certainly gone on to prove his worth and more but Walker was a hell of a lot of money for a decent player. Bravo, Mangala, Otamendi and Stones have all been really bad buys, which most sides would never be able to recover from financially.

Mendy looked rubbish even before his injury and as talented as Sane is, he never really established himself in the side, often being left out and not pleasing Pep with his lack of discipline (on the pitch). Not having Ederson as anything more than good though. He's not a great shot stopper and he's a bit of a lunatic that makes a lot of rash decisions and mistakes. Alisson is a long way ahead of him. In fact it's scary to imagine how good this City side could be if they had Alisson and VVD.

I don't remember Sane's stats but he was established when he was nothing up double figures for assists and goals in 17/18 season?
Considering how poor City's defence is, Ederson must have done alright to get the golden glove, the way he plays brings on mistakes, it's the way sweeper keepers play. I'm pretty sure Allison has made similar?
Even Otamendi had one storming season alongside Kompany when they won the title.

Don
I don't remember Sane's stats but he was established when he was nothing up double figures for assists and goals in 17/18 season?
Considering how poor City's defence is, Ederson must have done alright to get the golden glove, the way he plays brings on mistakes, it's the way sweeper keepers play. I'm pretty sure Allison has made similar?
Even Otamendi had one storming season alongside Kompany when they won the title.
I think Sane's a really talented player to be clear but when I say established, I'm talking about his place in the side. He never really nailed down his place and was a fixture in the side. Even if you discount this season, for 2 of the 3 other seasons he barely played 50% of the minutes available. Had he not been injured in the community shield, he'd have been off to Bayern last summer and even with the huge hike in prices, City weren't going to make much of a profit on the deal either. He's somebody that always looks like he's going to explode into a superstar but never did it, not yet at least.

Otamendi looked like a footballer in 17/18 because City had no defending to do. 90% of the time being a CB or keeper for City is easy because you have nothing to do as City dominate possession. As soon as Otamendi has to defend he looks like a disaster waiting to happen. I agree that Ederson is more likely to make mistakes than your average keeper due to how he plays but Alisson plays a very similar way without making nearly as many mistakes. And when you look at his basic goalkeeping skills, he's not nearly as good a shot stopper as Alisson and he's massively prone to flapping at crosses too. He's good for City but so would Alisson and Stegen and they're much better than him.

Either way, no side that's spent what City have on defenders and have the defence they have cannot be described as having excellent recruitment. It's not the worst but not amazingly good either.

Soldato

Alisson missed a 1/4 of the season. If he didnt get injured he would have walked that golden glove.

And

And

Associate
Agree on Sane, super talented but could disappear in games.

I can see why Alisson is ahead of Ederson in the pecking order for Brazil - better shot stopper and with corners/crosses. I think Ederson edges it in ball distribution though not by much.

Defensively the recruitment has been poor (and I'm being kind). Stones looked great then fell apart, Otamendi has heart but is prone to lunging in, Laporte I like and the partnership with Garcia has potential but is Garcia really ready?

I think Sane's a really talented player to be clear but when I say established, I'm talking about his place in the side. He never really nailed down his place and was a fixture in the side. Even if you discount this season, for 2 of the 3 other seasons he barely played 50% of the minutes available. Had he not been injured in the community shield, he'd have been off to Bayern last summer and even with the huge hike in prices, City weren't going to make much of a profit on the deal either. He's somebody that always looks like he's going to explode into a superstar but never did it, not yet at least.

Otamendi looked like a footballer in 17/18 because City had no defending to do. 90% of the time being a CB or keeper for City is easy because you have nothing to do as City dominate possession. As soon as Otamendi has to defend he looks like a disaster waiting to happen. I agree that Ederson is more likely to make mistakes than your average keeper due to how he plays but Alisson plays a very similar way without making nearly as many mistakes. And when you look at his basic goalkeeping skills, he's not nearly as good a shot stopper as Alisson and he's massively prone to flapping at crosses too. He's good for City but so would Alisson and Stegen and they're much better than him.

Either way, no side that's spent what City have on defenders and have the defence they have cannot be described as having excellent recruitment. It's not the worst but not amazingly good either.

Soldato
Agree on Sane, super talented but could disappear in games.

I can see why Alisson is ahead of Ederson in the pecking order for Brazil - better shot stopper and with corners/crosses. I think Ederson edges it in ball distribution though not by much.

Defensively the recruitment has been poor (and I'm being kind). Stones looked great then fell apart, Otamendi has heart but is prone to lunging in, Laporte I like and the partnership with Garcia has potential but is Garcia really ready?

Who knows if Garcia is ready...he wont get the chance anyway.

As for their spending...havent they spent 350 mil on full backs alone in the last few years? Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom