Summer Transfer Window 2020/21 - Rumours & Signings *please quote sources*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don
oh I get what Newcastle are paying for - what I meant was HAHAHA at Fraser for being such a wally at the end of the season making it sound like some big move was afoot when, no offence, it's a sideways move at best, and given Ashley's handling of the club and uncertainties and budget problems that always arise - it's hardly a great jump, and i would argue worse off than if he'd helped keep Bournemouth up.

Sideways would suggest the PL is the equivalent of the Championship. You know Bournemouth got relegated right?

Also, playing in front of 50k isn’t a bad upgrade over 14k at Bournemouth.

Soldato
Sideways would suggest the PL is the equivalent of the Championship. You know Bournemouth got relegated right?

Also, playing in front of 50k isn’t a bad upgrade over 14k at Bournemouth.
narrowly got relegated. They could have stayed up. Having key players refuse to play didn't help them did it? Bournemouth to Newcastle is a sideways move. Newcastle are currently a championship quality side. It's impressive they stayed up with as big a margin as they managed.

Edit: Also he won't be playing in front of anybody for the near future will he?!

Last edited:
Don
narrowly got relegated. They could have stayed up. Having key players refuse to play didn't help them did it? Bournemouth to Newcastle is a sideways move. Newcastle are currently a championship quality side. It's impressive they stayed up with as big a margin as they managed.

Edit: Also he won't be playing in front of anybody for the near future will he?!

Ahhh, the old they could have stayed up...But they didn't..Oops. Comparing the two teams is just bizarre.

It might not be Arsenal that he was being touted for but it's still a step up, Newcastle's team isn't that bad, they just need someone other than a dinosaur in charge of them.

Okay, in the future he will be playing in front of 50k, currently he will be playing in front of many as the usual Bournemouth crowd :)

Soldato
he escaped a club scrapping to stay in the premiership (and which he helped to go down by refusing to play in their hour of need) to go where? Another club scrapping to stay in the premiership, but with a worse financial health and something of a toxic culture of under-investment and fans at odds with the owners. I wouldn't call that a step up. Will he stop playing for them in March too if he thinks they'll get relegated?

to be fair to Newcastle their purchase of Ritchie was inspired. I bet Bournemouth were kicking themselves when it came to the crunch last season. With Fraser and Wilson Newcastle could inherit more than a few players, but an attacking familiarity that could help them. We just need to persuade them to use Slimani again. No, no he very good. 5*. Special price?

as for Newcastles team being bad?

2019/2020 stats:
17/20 for goals
20/20 for corners won/taken
16/20 for shots (admittedly only 7 behind Arsenal who were themselves beaten by Norwich!!!!)
18/20 for crosses
19/20 for passes
16/20 for chances missed (so not making many goals, shots on target, or even shots in general)
13/20 for tackles
19/20 for touches of the ball
14/20 for wins
7/20 for losses
1/20 for clearances - so leaky as a sieve and desperate defending at the back
9/20 for own goals

the only decent one I can find is 8/20 for clean sheets with 11 for the season.

Last edited:
Don
So you're still comparing a relegated Championship club who lost their manager, will lose their better players and play in front of 13k to that of a Premier League team who finished 13th and are signing some fairly decent players a sideways step.

Keep going :)

Associate
So you're still comparing a relegated Championship club who lost their manager, will lose their better players and play in front of 13k to that of a Premier League team who finished 13th and are signing some fairly decent players a sideways step.

Gotta agree here, unfortunately I don't think Bournemouth will be back in the prem for a long time. Joining any prem club at this point would be a step up. At the start of last season you could argue it was a sideways step, but not now.

Associate
Rodriguez to Everton a done deal. Temporary kudos for Everton for signing a big name from Real Madrid, quickly followed by regret.

Caporegime
Gotta agree here, unfortunately I don't think Bournemouth will be back in the prem for a long time. Joining any prem club at this point would be a step up. At the start of last season you could argue it was a sideways step, but not now.

After Howe leaving and the team being decimated I can't see them doing much in the Championship to be honest.
Shame, I liked Bournemouth.

Soldato

when he made the call to stop playing last season Bournemouth were not relegated, still had their manager and could have kept their players. The situation now is not what it was when he threw in the towel. You can keep telling me all about Bournemouth now, I am talking about at the season restart.

Soldato
There should be a minimum capacity for Premiership clubs. Bournemouth have been claiming a decent chunk of the TV rights, but have so few supporters.
this at least I do agree on - it always seemed odd to me. To say they were up for 3+ seasons they never seemed to make plans to enlarge. That said Leicester got into awful difficulty moving from Filbert St to the Walkers Bowl and then getting relegated so it's not a simple thing to grow a club. Ask Coventry how it worked out too. Last I checked they didn't even own a stadium or have rights to use the stadium they built!

After Howe leaving and the team being decimated I can't see them doing much in the Championship to be honest.
Shame, I liked Bournemouth.
Ditto, and agreed I think they will plummet down the leagues if they don't buy well.

Don
when he made the call to stop playing last season Bournemouth were not relegated, still had their manager and could have kept their players. The situation now is not what it was when he threw in the towel. You can keep telling me all about Bournemouth now, I am talking about at the season restart.

They were, prior to restart where the ultimately finished, 18th.

Soldato
They were, prior to restart where the ultimately finished, 18th.
And Villa were below them. Villa beat them by just one point in the end. Even on the final day if West Ham had scored one more vs Villa Bournemouth would have stayed up on goal difference. It wasn't a lost cause. Frances Fraser had no business not playing out the season. It hurt them as much as it hurt us having Maddison stuck in the stands - at least that was only due to injury.

Last edited:
Soldato
This is some master level club comparing here. I'm genuinely in awe.
https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/clubs

a great stat: In addition to 1/20 for clearances, Newcastle were 7/20 for playing long balls, but with that only 19/20 on completed passes it really was a case of lump it up field and hope for the best.
Sadly though they were only 16/20 on goals from counterattacks.

Last edited:
Soldato
What’s the actual argument here? That Newcastle isn’t a bigger club than Bournemouth?
that Fraser refused to play out the season for Bournemouth in case an injury jeapordised a move to a bigger club. He's ended up at Newcastle, and probably his absence caused Bournemouth to get relegated. I'm saying it's not that big a move and not good enough to justify not helping his old team in their hour of need. He left one struggling team for another. So how does that merit refusing to play?

Caporegime
that Fraser refused to play out the season for Bournemouth in case an injury jeapordised a move to a bigger club. He's ended up at Newcastle, and probably his absence caused Bournemouth to get relegated. I'm saying it's not that big a move and not good enough to justify not helping his old team in their hour of need. He left one struggling team for another. So how does that merit refusing to play?

Some would say that decision is vindicated. He’s now in the PL, had he stayed at Bournemouth and got a really bad injury he’d be in the Championship.

He’s probably on more money than Bournemouth would’ve ever paid him.

Newcastle are a much bigger club.

To add he never refused to play, he wasn’t contracted to play past the 30th June. Yes he refused a contract extension but he wasn’t obligated to sign it, nor was he obligated to play.

Last edited:
Soldato
I bet new contracts are worded so they have to see out the season's games if matches are postponed. To me it feels wrong if he'd been signed up to play 38 games then he should have taken the temporary extension for those remaining 8/9 games and not just shrugged his shoulders and said "not my problem".

edit: also if he was out of contract he wouldn't have ended up anywhere. Even if Bournemouth went down (as they did) he'd be a free agent to go where he liked once that 38th game was played. The only risk was getting injured. So what? How is that different to anybody else? The contract extension just needed a clause that Bournemouth would cover medical and rehab costs if that happened, which it probably wouldn't anyway.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom