Summer Transfer Window 2020/21 - Rumours & Signings *please quote sources*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Switch it round...if it was a player Bounemouth wouldnt have played anyway are they obligated to extend his contract? Nathaniel Clyne wasnt going to play for us so we didnt extend. It isnt always on the player.

Caporegime
I bet new contracts are worded so they have to see out the season's games if matches are postponed. To me it feels wrong if he'd been signed up to play 38 games then he should have taken the temporary extension for those remaining 8/9 games and not just shrugged his shoulders and said "not my problem".

edit: also if he was out of contract he wouldn't have ended up anywhere. Even if Bournemouth went down (as they did) he'd be a free agent to go where he liked once that 38th game was played. The only risk was getting injured. So what? How is that different to anybody else? The contract extension just needed a clause that Bournemouth would cover medical and rehab costs if that happened, which it probably wouldn't anyway.

The risk was obviously big enough for Fraser to not want to tempt it, I can see why Bournemouth fans wouldn't be too happy about it but I don't think he's done anything wrong, he's fulfilled his obligations to the club and chose to look after number 1, can't blame him for that imo.

In an ideal world he'd have signed the extension, kept them up then sailed into the sunset but given the situation he was in I think I'd have done the same.

Man of Honour
Doucoure to Everton is a decent signing, they've got to be expecting a few exists at this rate, that squad doesn't look small or cheap!

Leno or Martinez, which ones gonna stay and which ones gonna go?

Leno has proven himself over a longer period of time, but I think Martinez might be the better keeper. If the Villa story is true and they're offering £20mil for Martinez then I'd sell and put that money towards Partey and/or Aouar if funds are an issue.

Soldato
Soooooooo much money wow.

Is he that good?!

Yeah. He's a really good option. Great fitness - barely missed a game for us, doesn't stop working, scores all kinds of goals - think he had the most headed goals in the Championship last season despite the fact that he was playing wide the two previous seasons. Wanted to see him in the Prem with us, but regardless I think he's going to do well... although he'll be now playing for a team that doesn't create much so it should be interesting to see how he does.

Soldato
Leno has proven himself over a longer period of time, but I think Martinez might be the better keeper. If the Villa story is true and they're offering £20mil for Martinez then I'd sell and put that money towards Partey and/or Aouar if funds are an issue.

There was such an improvement in defence when Martinez got his chance, that I'd be inclined to sell Leno. Would probably raise more funds, and I like the story of Martinez finally getting his chance and doing well.

Soldato
Gotta say so far I think we're handling this transfer window all wrong.

I'm glad we have got extra left back cover as that was needed but we haven't and show no signs to be improving the other positions where it's needed

We're currently in a very good position to do that recent champions etc.

Instead were linked with more out and barely any coming in, I saw the Brewster talk which just baffles me, if we let him go it's a mistake imo

I also don't believe for a second we aren't spending as much due to covid when lesser clubs are out spending us

Soldato
Gotta say so far I think we're handling this transfer window all wrong.

I'm glad we have got extra left back cover as that was needed but we haven't and show no signs to be improving the other positions where it's needed

We're currently in a very good position to do that recent champions etc.

Instead were linked with more out and barely any coming in, I saw the Brewster talk which just baffles me, if we let him go it's a mistake imo

I also don't believe for a second we aren't spending as much due to covid when lesser clubs are out spending us

We keep silent nowadays so i wouldn't expect to hear anything until its pretty much done. Dominoes will start falling soon in my opinion and I fully expect Thiago to sign and I actually think Gini stays. Joyce is reporting that Klopp will speak to Gini this week but the season starts on Saturday, I think if he were to leave he would have already.

The position you could argue needs strengthening is the attacking areas BUT with Jones being promoted in Lallanas place, Elliot continuing to show excellent progression and Keita actually fit we arent that bad for depth but i agree that selling Brewster is all kinds of stupid. Regardless of whatever clause they are talking about. I also think Minamino being clearly our best player in pre season has impacted our window.

Caporegime
Some more Sancho talk today, James Ducker saying the player is keen and terms have been agreed with him and his agent. Still the fee structure is the question though https://twitter.com/TelegraphDucker/status/1303720248244400133

It's a weird one.

I have to say I am skeptical. I have a terrible feeling he is going to end up a dud for the money and we will have banter FC all over. Our front three on its day is one of the best in the league and they are still young so that consistancy will be better. Martial was fantastic last night for France. Ighalo has been excellent where he has been used and I still have hope Lingardhino will step back up to his former self after taking a long look in the mirror. The other lads Reguilón and Upamecano I would rather we focus on getting those two. That gives us Brandon Williams and AWB as RB and Reguilon and Shaw on the left with Upamecano as the CB we really need to partner Maguire.

DVDB, Matic, Bruno, Poggers, Fred and Mctominay is a fantastic midfield. We haven't had it this good since when Roy Keane was playing.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Well we definitely need a signing up front whether it's Sancho or not, currently we just have James and Ighalo (who is only on loan until Jan) as backups. a couple of injuries and we're in serious trouble.

This is the first time the big UK journalists have agreed with Romano that personal terms aren't the problem. It would be weird for the club to brief on that if they aren't optimistic that a deal can be made.

Man of Honour
Chelsea have had a great window. Think they can challenge for the title with that team. Man Utd still seem light for a striker.

Chelsea are my tip for the title. In fact I got 50/1 for Chelsea to win the league and Werner to win the golden boot, which I think was pretty decent odds. Going to be quite honest here and say that my top 4 prediction is (in order) Chelsea, Man City, Liverpool, Utd and I say that as a Liverpool supporter. I dont think we can do 3 90+ point seasons in a row and I think that other teams will step up this season (I also think not having any crowd will have a large impact on key games)

Don
Chelsea still have a **** keeper, average defence and manager. They're not winning the League.
This is the first time the big UK journalists have agreed with Romano that personal terms aren't the problem.
Agreed in the same way they said it's Thursday today when IndyRomano was insisting it was Thursday yesterday? :D

Man of Honour
Chelsea still have a **** keeper, average defence and manager. They're not winning the League.

Agreed in the same way they said it's Thursday today when IndyRomano was insisting it was Thursday yesterday? :D

In a world where Djimi Traore can win the Champions League, you just never know :D

I'm not ready yet to categorically state that Chelsea will 100% not win the league. With almost any top4 team theres always a danger of jumping from "unlikely" to a nailed on absolute wont. All we can do is wait and see, I think this season is going to be a quite unique season because I dont think we're going to see any match in the whole season that has crowds and I truly do think thats going to make quite the impact. We've not really seen the impact yet because the season was effectively done with crowds last season before crowds were removed. We'll see what happens but I wouldnt be surprised if we see some quite unusual league positions by the end of this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom