Summer Transfer Window 22/23

Soldato
I don't know if Pep can ever have too many. That's besides the point though, at least 4 top sides are or were in the market for a number 6 and have all looked elsewhere to de Jong - whether that's because they don't think he's good enough or because they all want something different in that role.
Which sides?

Caporegime
If he does end up signing for Brentford it's because he's chosen first team football at a smaller club over playing a smaller role at a bigger club. Won't be anything new and happens all the time, hell happened under Fergie with Bale going to Southampton etc.

Even if Erikson did go to United it would just show the merc he is and we do not need players like that. Brentford gave him a lifeline to restart his career when no one else would touch him. He owes them that. If he did a U turn and go to United it would be the kind of player attitude wise that we just do not need.

Man of Honour
How on earth can you call Eriksen a mercenary?

I suspect we're offering more than Brentford, a mercenary would be here in a heartbeat, more money to be made in general too due to the size of club.

The fact he's thinking about the offers and weighing up what he wants to do seems perfectly reasonable to me. Even more so considering his heart problem, he's not even allowed to play professional football in Italy.

fez

fez

Caporegime
I reckon that less than 10% of foreign players in the Premier League actually want to play in England. They don't come here for the weather or the culture and plenty of them would be on the first plane out if Barca/RM came knocking.

Apparently Bernado Silva would happily go to Barca from City despite City being a country mile ahead of Barca at the moment. I imagine that the families of most european players are constantly in their ear about moving somewhere nicer.

FdJ would be more than happy to stay in Barca but I imagine he will come to the UK if needs be and I don't get the impression hes the sort of player to throw his toys out of the pram.

Consigliere
Man Utd have offered £75m + Harry Maguire for Frankie De Jong. Barcelona have said they will take £75m only...

BenchWarmers credit :o

So I passed on this joke...surely the Daily Mail hasn't actually jumped on it from BenchWarmers? :p

Permabanned
Caporegime
The likes of olayers choosing Brentford over Manchester United definitely doesn't happen all the time... Brentford still have Championship wages!
Does mean he gets to stay in London where he lived for many years when at Spurs. He might even have kept the house and moved back in! He really was the main man at Brentford and was almost singlehandedly responsible for their uptick in form and results after he joined. I’d imagine he will end up being the highest paid player at Brentford if he stays but may still be on 1/4-1/3 of what he could get elsewhere.

Soldato
and was almost singlehandedly responsible for their uptick in form and results after he joined.
No he wasn't. It made a great story for everyone to lazily assume that.

He arrived at the same point a number of our key players returned. Probably the main impact on our results was Raya returning in goal after four months out, but also Ajer recovering from his injury and Toney getting back to form post-covid were key. Eriksen was instrumental in us doing well the latter third of the season, but he was one of a number of such players.

Apparently he's quite taken with living in Richmond, and there's a load of other Danish families around the area given that about 98% of our employees are Danish!

Him staying solves a problem in midfield for us and allows us to direct our meagre transfer budget towards other targets - hopefully better targets given we're a more attractive team to play for if we can recruit the likes of Eriksen instead of him joining much larger teams.

Soldato
Does mean he gets to stay in London where he lived for many years when at Spurs. He might even have kept the house and moved back in! He really was the main man at Brentford and was almost singlehandedly responsible for their uptick in form and results after he joined. I’d imagine he will end up being the highest paid player at Brentford if he stays but may still be on 1/4-1/3 of what he could get elsewhere.
Also can't pick up Kurupt FM in Manchester which is heavily influencing his decision.

Back
Top Bottom