Poll: Sunbeds naked or not ?

Naked ?

• Yes

Votes: 37 23.7%
  • No

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • Sausage (seems more appropriate than 'pancake')

Votes: 84 53.8%

• Total voters
I haz 4090!
Don
I kinda want to try one. :(

....so I am curious about this thread.

Just try it, nothing to it. Walk in, say "I want 3 minutes on the stand-up please" (or the lie-down if you want red bum-cheeks), buy some Australian Gold to enhance that tan and away you go!

3 minutes won't do anything but it gives you a start, you need to work up to those 12 minute marathon sessions :D

Associate
I did it once (around 2008) to "prep" myself for a holiday in the sun. My mum said I was looking a bit pale due to my mostly nocturnal lifestyle at the time and suggested it.

I thought, why not? Build a base tan, as they say.

I walked backwards and forwards in front of the tanning salon for a while, to make sure nobody I knew saw me go in there, and quickly dived through the door. I sheepishly asked for a suntan and the woman behind the counter let me buy enough tokens for a stand up one for like 6 minutes, maybe 9, I can't quite remember, but it wasn't a long time at all. I kept my boxers on, as much as an experiment to see if there was a difference in skin tone than anything else.

It was an absolutely dreadful idea. Six hours later I was lying in bed with cold damp towels on me, I could barely move.

A week later my girlfriend, now wife, was peeling thick homogenous sheets of skin off my legs the size of A4 paper. I'll always remember the sound as it came off. Scchhhllliiiiiiick. She's a picker, so she loved it.

So, my advice is: don't do it. It hurts, it stinks (you can actually smell people's skin burning (link), the whole place smelled of burnt, dead skin cells), it's unsanitary (by all accounts these places are generally grubby) and gives you cancer.

I could probably have reported the salon for letting me go that long. I was obviously pasty and white and didn't have a clue what I was doing. But I chalked it up to a lesson learnt and tried to forget about it. Thanks for reminding me.

Last edited:
I haz 4090!
Don
@AndyT - ouch! 9 minutes is wayyyyy too much if you're pale. I'm naturally really pale (haven't been on the sunbed for years) but I always started with a few 3-minute sessions when I started just to break myself in.

#mumsnet

Associate
@AndyT - ouch! 9 minutes is wayyyyy too much if you're pale. I'm naturally really pale (haven't been on the sunbed for years) but I always started with a few 3-minute sessions when I started just to break myself in.

#mumsnet

I think it must have been 6mins, 9 sounds too much - in any case it was a disaster.

Although, once the red faded I did get that base tan I was after...

Man of Honour
Men in sunbeds, bloody hell.

They'll be letting women vote next :mad:

I don’t object to guys using them, but they’re not for me.
I can’t lay or sit still long enough to use a sun bed, either in a tanning studio or on the beach.
I constantly think, mm, there must be a decent bar around here, I’d better get up and go find it.

Soldato
Without sounding too preachy, I recall you are on medication / infusions for IBD?

Be careful with sunbeds if you're on aza or any of the biologics as they cause skin sensitivity.

Yea this was quite a few years back. Humira injections were making my skin terrible. They wanted to try and see if light treatment made any difference at all. After the course of light treatment I was actually warned not to be out in the sun much if I could help it and to use a strong sun block.

Soldato
You aren't selling me on the idea if 6 minutes of exposure can turn you into a lobster :cry:

I'd rather turn into a lobster the traditional way, falling asleep on the beach.

Soldato
Had an ex who was fit and had a sunbed at home - always on the sunbed and always nicely tanned.

Great when she was in her teens/20's.

25yrs on....................

2lUVr7y.jpg

Soldato
Increasing your risk of cancer to try to temporarily change the colour of your skin doesn't seem like a good idea to me. So it's a hard pass from me, naked or not.

It's weird. People who are so obsessed with their self-image that they'll.....wreck their skin with radiation so they'll prematurely age.

Hard pass from me, I'm happy never sunbathing and looking younger than I am!

V F

V F

Soldato
It's weird. People who are so obsessed with their self-image that they'll.....wreck their skin with radiation so they'll prematurely age.

Hard pass from me, I'm happy never sunbathing and looking younger than I am!

I've never understood it either. I've also never been bothered being pasty whitey.

Back
Top Bottom