US: Supernatural

Soldato
So Season 9 has just ended (I love the Kansas song they have on the final episode each season), and have to say whilst the season as a whole wasn't the best, the last moment was awesome and makes for a potentially epic 10th (and final?) season.

tumblr_inline_n5wjc4S3NO1rul75y_zps6d296cc0.gif

Anyone else watch this.

Soldato
Followed it from start to around Season 8 I believe? The one with that Chinese kid in it being hunted by Crowley and some Leviathan nasties - the storyline dragged on for so long that I eventually lost track of everything and gave up.

Excellent show with superb humour "directors on crack" episodes but imo it has run on for far too long and just how many times are the brothers going to save the world? :)

Soldato
The first five seasons were awesome. Since then? Not so much. I think they've lost the soul of what made the show great. Sam and Dean aren't hunters any more - they are world-saving superheroes. It has made the show awkward and clumsy. If they want to push past Season 10, I think there needs to be some resolution to the Heaven/Hell thing, with a more hands-off approach going forward. Let the Winchesters get back to hunting monsters instead of waging war with the super-villain of the day.

I still tune in though. There's still the occasional good episode here and there.

Soldato
^Don't tell me the silly heaven and hell stuff is STILL going on?! That is when I gave up on the show because it went on for well over an entire season and I just wanted good old hunting. It also fell into the current US show 'trap' of introducing far too many characters.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
its a dark horse show..... glad its small profile but keeps getting renewed since its a fun show and still has plenty life left!

Soldato
I've gone back to season 1 and even then they were putting in solid performances.

They needed to introduce some long story arcs and a wider background cast as there is only so far you can go with monster of the week without the formula getting tired.

Soldato
Loved the show but for me it ended when Sam fell into the pit, cue the wayword song, it felt like it ended and for me was a perfect way to finish it, i tried after that to carry on but all the levatian crap and angel story lines just made it turd

Soldato
I've watched it since the beginning and still do. Most shows around season 5 that are 'monster of the week' type of shows I lose interest in but the acting in this is so good especially the main brothers chemistry and supporting characters as well as me just generally being a fan of 'Supernatural' type shows means I still enjoy every episode I watch, theres maybe been 10? episodes in the whole 9 seasons where I was simply not enjoying it. Most consistent show for me.

Soldato
I've gone back to season 1 and even then they were putting in solid performances.

They needed to introduce some long story arcs and a wider background cast as there is only so far you can go with monster of the week without the formula getting tired.

That may be the case, but the show writers seem to have lost all perspective and respect for the show's lore. It's perfectly possible to bring in the big story arcs without mutilating the soul of the show.

Up to Season 5, a Demon was a formidable opponent, an Angel was an awe-inspiring force, and power-players like Zachariah, Castiel, Azazel, Lilith, Rafael, Crowley and Lucifer called the shots. Sam and Dean were just insubordinate little pawns. Over the course of the last few seasons, Demons have become cannon fodder, it has become perfectly plausible for the brothers to take on an Angel or two in hand-to-hand combat, and all of the big players now bow down for Sam and Dean Winchester. There's no real explanation for this. It just is.

I still enjoy watching it. It's fun. I just don't think it's been quite the same since Erik Kripke stepped back.

Soldato
That may be the case, but the show writers seem to have lost all perspective and respect for the show's lore. It's perfectly possible to bring in the big story arcs without mutilating the soul of the show.

Up to Season 5, a Demon was a formidable opponent, an Angel was an awe-inspiring force, and power-players like Zachariah, Castiel, Azazel, Lilith, Rafael, Crowley and Lucifer called the shots. Sam and Dean were just insubordinate little pawns. Over the course of the last few seasons, Demons have become cannon fodder, it has become perfectly plausible for the brothers to take on an Angel or two in hand-to-hand combat, and all of the big players now bow down for Sam and Dean Winchester. There's no real explanation for this. It just is.

I still enjoy watching it. It's fun. I just don't think it's been quite the same since Erik Kripke stepped back.
This is exactly what I was going to comment on.

The problem is when a series detracts from the 'usual' & focuses too much on a core main story arch. It turns into an arms race, with each season having to find a bigger & better bad guy to defeat.

As you say, in season one - one demon was a force to fear, by the end they were challenging minor gods & swatting demons & angles like they were a joke.

Really, they needed to stick to the basic 'hunters' killing a variety of different foes - with a slow building main story with a final conclusion at the end of the entire show. The reason why tart Trek : TNG worked for so long was that the show kept the basic formula going throughout all seven seasons - it didn't engage in the power bloat dynamic.

For me The X files went the same way, no episodes about interesting creatures or mutations - but constantly bigger & bigger conspiracies - losing it's original appeal.

Soldato
Have to admit, as much as I love Castiel - the whole angels/bad angels and sodding Crowley just killed the show for me as I may have mentioned. Just way too much of it.

You might like Constantine which is starting relatively soon as an alternative? Hopefully this might make Supernatural up its game?

Back
Top Bottom