Supplements the debate/discussion thread

Associate
Anyone had the Myprotein Flavour drops? pretty epic when on a cut, add to some fat free greek yogurt or oats etc for a good snack.

Man those things are disgusting. I got some for free and have them here in my drawer at work. These are supposed to taste like chocolate, but just make the shake taste vaguely of vanilla, but with a horrible artificial sweetener taste. I've had this problem with stevia + sugar before - I can taste the stevia and it's minging.

Soldato
When it comes to taste i demand the very best from my flavouring and protein shakes.
Of all companies out there, I am most irritated by TPW, who claim to have inventive flavours, though IMO are one of the worst I have ever tried.
The only product made by TPW is their chocolate fudge flavouring and maple syrup flavouring. These are top draw.

At the bottom of this post, are some recipes (Porridge and Whey Shake) which you are welcome to try.

Flavdrops (MyProtein)
Toffee - great in anything. Whey, porridge, muesli, rice pudding...whatever. The best flavouring product I have used...ever.
Maple Syrup - is a decent sweetener, not great.
Vanilla - fantastic...but not in protein shakes. I make porridge without sugar and use this as the sweetener (recipe is at bottom of this post).
Strawberry/Raspberry - in protein shake - not impressed (for the best strawberry milkshake recipe, see below).
Apple - when having barley grass, wheat grass, super greens powder, you MUST use this product. Once you have tried it, you will understand why. I have found no other use for this product.

So, in summary,
Whey Protein Shake - Toffee
Porridge - Vanilla
Green powders - Apple

For those who tried Chocolate flavour - seriously...why would you do that?

Vanilla Porridge Recipe
[I would be happy to challenge anybody to a porridge making competition. My recipe is the best and I eat it as a dessert. Yes - it's that good. It takes me about 10 mins at the stove, though I do prefer it to simmer without any added heat, for 30 minutes, unattended]
2.5 scoops Tesco Organic porridge oats, 0.5 scoop oatbran, Ghee, soya milk, sultanas, vanilla myprotein flavdrops. Mix that all up, keep heating and as the mixture gets dry keep adding water. Serve, once you are happy with the consistency. I shudder to think what this thing would taste like with full fat milk.

Whey Protein Shake
I've been using whey protein since the mid 90s (Promax, Maximuscle), before some of you were born. Their chocolate flavour, at the time, was the best.
Some flavours have moved forward, some others haven't.
My all time favourite shake is listed below:
Olympus Protein (Strawberry flavour) - 1 scoop
Unflavoured Whey - 0.75 scoop
Oat flour - 0.25 scoop.
Water - a suitable amount
Mix this up in a blender (do not use shaker)
It smells of strawberry yoghurt.
It tastes like a strawberry milkshake.
It has a great consistency and mouth-feel.

BTW: I don't actually like strawberry milkshakes...I'm a chocolate lover, but I have been unable to get a chocolate protein shake recipe which can compete against this.

NOTE: in all my recipes I have found that the cheaper ingredients generally taste better. The only premium grade product in any of the recipes above, are the Tesco Organic Oats and this is because I cant find any other oat which is of sufficiently high quality at a lower price. Oatbran and Oat flour can be bought cheap from Myprotein. Unflavoured Whey is amongst the cheapest you can buy. And Olympus Whey is the cheapest you can buy. I dont give a damn about the brand - I just want the best tasting product I can make, using healthy ingredients.

Soldato
Man those things are disgusting. I got some for free and have them here in my drawer at work. These are supposed to taste like chocolate, but just make the shake taste vaguely of vanilla, but with a horrible artificial sweetener taste. I've had this problem with stevia + sugar before - I can taste the stevia and it's minging.

I wouldn't add them to shakes personally, i add to my oats and greek yogurt and sometimes things im baking to add more flavour the Toffee is by far the best tasting flavour additive i've ever had, the choc peanut butter isnt bad but more artificial. I've heard rubbish reviews on the chocolate one hence not buying it. Pick the Toffee up and add to yogurt or Oats then lemme know ;)

Associate
I wouldn't add them to shakes personally, i add to my oats and greek yogurt and sometimes things im baking to add more flavour the Toffee is by far the best tasting flavour additive i've ever had, the choc peanut butter isnt bad but more artificial. I've heard rubbish reviews on the chocolate one hence not buying it. Pick the Toffee up and add to yogurt or Oats then lemme know ;)

Hehe, I actually thought scientists had the chocolate flavour down by now, but I was wrong! I got them since I was on a cut and I usually use Nesquik in my shakes, so wanted to cut out on that extra sugar. Thankfully I'm on that bulk time now, so it's back to Nesquik, peanut/almond butter, honey, banana and all that good stuff in my shakes :)

I actually eat Total Greek Yoghurt practically every day and I just add honey, cinnamon and Lizi's Granola. Das it mane :cool:

Caporegime
my favoratie breakfast for work is

30g oats
40g peanuts
30g raisins
250g yoghurt

mix it all up, stick it ikn the fridge the night before work by the morning its all soft and lovley

Soldato
I started mixing in some Creatine Mono with a pre workout shake, been about week, is it possible to get some headaches from early usage, also a fuzzy mouth, been adding some extra water intake.

Soldato
So i finally bit the bullet and ordered some protein powder, got some Whey Protein 80 SF+ in mint choc brownie from TPW, and used the free coupon to get some normal Whey Protein 80 in strawberry and white chocolate. The latter is all i've tried so far but it's alright, perfectly drinkable. Going to start out relatively light, just one scoop before breakfast and one after exercise.

Man of Honour
So i finally bit the bullet and ordered some protein powder, got some Whey Protein 80 SF+ in mint choc brownie from TPW, and used the free coupon to get some normal Whey Protein 80 in strawberry and white chocolate. The latter is all i've tried so far but it's alright, perfectly drinkable. Going to start out relatively light, just one scoop before breakfast and one after exercise.

Don't start too heavy bro, you'll be Arnie in no time.

Man of Honour
but you were talking about brotein - that stuff has hormones and whatnot in it to make it more anabolic and better for getting huge than normal food, amirite, meaning I can bulk on a deficit?

Soldato
So I've got myself injured.

After speaking to the sports physio, he's said based on the workouts I'm doing I should be considering getting a post workout refuel protein drink to help my muscles repair.

I'm open to either making my own, or buying something, no huge concern either way.

Any suggestions?

Associate

After speaking to the sports physio, he's said based on the workouts I'm doing I should be considering getting a post workout refuel protein drink to help my muscles repair.

I'm open to either making my own, or buying something, no huge concern either way.

Any suggestions?

Consuming additional protein is not going to prevent injuries, only proper warmups and good technique can do that.

Depending on your goals (gain/maintain/lose weight), you should calculate your macros (just use IIFYM calculator) and make sure you get enough carbs/fat/protein every day.

As for a protein supplement, just get some whey isolate from myprotein/gonutrition/proteinworks. Myprotein tends to be cheapest and always has offers on, but I prefer the gonutrition packets.

Man of Honour

Any suggestions?

Did he actually offer this as a way to stop you getting injured or just as general advice?

If it was the former kick him square him the **** and never darken his door again, possibly crap in one of his drawers just to get your point across.

Soldato
Hi Guys,

Had my first gym session yesterday, aiming to gain a bit nothing mental just put on a bit of muscle. What whey protein shake stuff should I buy for a post workout boost?

Il be having lean meat in my meal about 40 mins after so just need a little something before that.

There's so many its all a bit confusing.

Man of Honour
Hi Guys,

Had my first gym session yesterday, aiming to gain a bit nothing mental just put on a bit of muscle. What whey protein shake stuff should I buy for a post workout boost?

Il be having lean meat in my meal about 40 mins after so just need a little something before that.

There's so many its all a bit confusing.

Post your current diet up, no point in wasting cash on whey if your diet is crap.

Soldato
Post your current diet up, no point in wasting cash on whey if your diet is crap.

ok ummm, well it varies (obviously) but heres what I'm having today if this helps?

Breakfast
Natural yoghurt
Oat granola
Blueberries

or raisin wheats

Lunch
Cheese and tomato sandwhich granary bread
Banana
Eat natural fruit n nut bar

Dinner
Fajita chicken with peppers and onion
salsa, guacamole and sour cream

Soldato
Can you also give an idea of quantities of said things, whether or not you also snack, how active you are and your current bodyweight.

No idea, normal amounts? i snack sometimes, usually just fruit or the odd fruit n nut bar, only weigh 10stone, I wouldnt say i was very active but im not sat on my bum all day either. I'm very slim, (cursed genes, my grandad passed them to me the bugger) hence starting at the gym.

Your diet is not what I would describe as awesome.

More fish, nuts, eggs and meat and less starchy rubbish.

Then top up with brotein shakes... :)

Yea I do eat a fair amount of eggs and fish, (yesterday was Haddock and broccoli for eg) but yea theres room for improvment.

Back
Top Bottom