• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

T-Rad2 installation Guide and Initial Thoughts

Associate
I've got my fans plugged in via molex adaptors as I've ran out of on board fan connectors so should be running at 100%

I'm dying to find out how to cool the VRMs down properly as my games are starting to crash now after a couple of hours of max resolution gaming on my 24" monitor. Been looking on on the net at various forums and no one seems to know how to lowere the temps either :confused:

Associate
Yeah its starting to bug me now aswell, what temps are the VRMs good up till??. Heres my temps after almost an hour of stress...

stressgputempsmt5.jpg

As you can see the gpu is being used 96%, so maybe what Rich said is right as his not using such a high res as me (1920x1200) then maybe the card isnt being stressed so much, or maybe its just these Powercolor 1Gb cards? Rich anyway you can find out what utilisation your gpu gets?

Last edited:
Permabanned
Nice review

I see that you have already had at least 1 ram chip heatsink fall off , from
owning 2 thermaltake Hr03 for my 8800GTX's I predict that more will follow.

Even tho I cleaned everything down rediculously well before putting the ram
chip coolers on , they dont seem to do well upside down fighting against gravity.

I think the adhesive they use on the sinks just aint up to it.

I tried the thermal tape that OCuk sells , it was also useless at holding them up ( again too heavey for the grip supplied)

In totaly I had 3 fall off and ended up boxing both coolers and going back to stock ( with AS5 )

Associate
I dont see how the thermal pads on the stock cooler can be doing any good anyway as that dark red surface they are in contact with it just plastic!! the only conduction bit on that whole stock cooler is the Coper heatsink, so i dont see how the thermal pads could have helped cool the chip underneath them anyway...

stockcoolerdq3.jpg

PS the yellow sticker you can see was where some cheap flakey thermal paste was, just put the tape there so you could see where the paste was

Im just woudering if it was just the sheer speed of the stock cooler fan (i think it went up to something like 3000rpm) that was keeping the VRM cool and these thermalright HS arent up to the job of keep them cool enough, plus the fact that the fans we are using dont go anywhere near the speeds of the stock cooler fans???

Last edited:
Associate
Theres is definitely a link between the VRM temps and the resolution you are running, i did a few tests. I used Far Cry 2's benchmark program set everything to ultra high & VSync Off, and ran the 'Ranch Long' benchmark which runs for 5 minutes, and did a few runs at different screen resolutions, and here are the results:

Resolution------DX-------VRM Temp-------GPU Usage
1280x720-------9--------63-65c----------86-88%
1280x720------10--------64-67c----------87-90%
1920x1200------9--------68-70c----------89-90%
1920x1200-----10--------71-73c----------97-99%

Last edited:

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
OP
If it works best, how come the scores are quite vague with the 92mm and the 120mm scores quite close to 2 92's in idle?

I quite like the idea of 2 92mm fans but i am after a really silent setup. I have 2 120mm Noctua fans and they are really silent.

like i said on my review

the sharkoons are silent

the redwing users have said that theirs are quiet too

i guess the rest is down to personal preference

Associate
Yeah its starting to bug me now aswell, what temps are the VRMs good up till??. Heres my temps after almost an hour of stress...

As you can see the gpu is being used 96%, so maybe what Rich said is right as his not using such a high res as me (1920x1200) then maybe the card isnt being stressed so much, or maybe its just these Powercolor 1Gb cards? Rich anyway you can find out what utilisation your gpu gets?

Think I've heard somewhere that the VRM's can take temps between 110-126

How are you getting on lettuce? Was hoping to have a look at my card today but been out all day so not been able to experiment

Associate
Well ive ran out of ideas to try really, everything is coverd with HS, so think it must just be down to the lack of fair flow from 3rd party fans we've placed on the rad compared to that of the stock cooler. Just have to see if Rich has any joy after he re-arranges his HS

Associate
Seems like it, although only at the high res when the cards have to work harder. As I'm running at 1920x1200 res and so it lettuce I think.

Its weird as I've had no problems with crashes until the last few days, I've order an Antec SpotCool System Cooler which I'm going to have at the bottom of my case aiming at the VRM end of the GFX and see if that makes and difference.

But will wait and see if any more updates are posted about HS layouts as well.

Associate
:( Getting the same temps here at load.

Just FYI using Lettuce's pic above as reference:
I placed one of the long HS on the raised chip by number 3 and the two slim sinks onto points 1 and 2. These just touch the Trad.

At work so cant try...but has anyone seen whether the red baseplate of the stock cooler can fit under the Trad?
http://www.yougamers.com/forum/showthread.php?p=998175

Sorry If I've overlooked them...but has anyone posted the stock, out of the box temps?

Last edited:

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
OP
i dont know - the ati results in the op give a better decrease in temps than the nvidia results

im sorry to hear people having trouble with it

Associate
:( Getting the same temps here at load.

Just FYI using Lettuce's pic above as reference:
I placed one of the long HS on the raised chip by number 3 and the two slim sinks onto points 1 and 2. These just touch the Trad.

At work so cant try...but has anyone seen whether the red baseplate of the stock cooler can fit under the Trad?
http://www.yougamers.com/forum/showthread.php?p=998175

Sorry If I've overlooked them...but has anyone posted the stock, out of the box temps?

I've put on pics earlier in the post with stock idle and Trad idle,
Stock -
http://img243.imagevenue.com/img.ph...fore_A-M_Cooler_IDLE_122_382lo.jpg&loc=loc382
Idle -
http://img127.imagevenue.com/img.ph...rUp_GPU_-_After_A-M_Cooler_IDLE_122_856lo.jpg

Permabanned
The only way to get better vrm temps is to use one large heatsink+mx-2 paste or have more airflow blowing on them.

I already said where exactly the vrm's are in a earlier post but it was ignored. :confused:

Having used both the trad-2 and Accelero s1 coolers for the 4870 both have high temps with vrm's unless one large heatsink+paste are fitted over the vrm's.

This pic of the Powercolor pcs version (has a custom vrm heatsink already installed) shows a heatsink that would give better temps if used along with mx-2 paste.

The large orange heatsink with the two push pins next to the core cooler is over the 5 small vrm chips.

http://hothardware.com/image_popup.aspx?image=big_powercolor-4870-1gb3.jpg&articleid=1217&t=a

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom