• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

T-Rad2 installation Guide and Initial Thoughts

i know - im sure he wont be in a rush to put the stock cooler back on to test it though

will leave 'as is' for the time being

Ah ok, on my old Accelero S1 i ussed to have my 120mm fan sucking air away from the card, i know it didnt probably cool aswell as blowing on the card, but for noise itsquieter having it sucking air way and not blowing.

I just woundered if having 2 92mm fans blowing on the card would have coursed more terbalance and thus not colded effectively

OK installed the T-Rad2 with 2 x 92mm Noctua NF-B9 fans, on my 4870 PowerColor 1GB card and inital results are good....

20081030007zi7.jpg

On the stock cooling, i had 2 fan profiles setup within CCC, whilst in windows the PowerColor's fan would be at 25% speed (roughly 1312rpm) 55c and below, and when gaming the fan would be at 35% (roughly 2305rpm) 56c and above.

Idle temps for stock:
Core 48c
Memory 58c
Shader 46c
VRM 45c

Stress temps for Stock:
Core 61c
Memory 72c
Shader 62c
VRM 69c

T-Rad2 idle temps
Core 30c
Memory 42c
Shader 32c
VRM 45c

T-Rad2 Stress temps
Core 42c
Memory 58c
Shader 48c
VRM 84c!!!

All readings form EVEREST

So all really good apart from the VRM temp, for some reason this has gone up bout 10c, and dont know why, i think ive cover all hot spots on the card with the heatsinks, i just looked on the stock cooler where the thermal pads where, and then also added the spare heatsinks to other parts on the card too. Looking at the above picture, have i missed the VRM's, also where abouts are the VRMs on the PowerColor??

Last edited:
OK installed the T-Rad2 with 2 x 92mm Noctua NF-B9 fans, on my 4870 PowerColor 1GB card and inital results are good....

20081030007zi7.jpg

On the stock cooling, i had 2 fan profiles setup within CCC, whilst in windows the PowerColor's fan would be at 25% speed (roughly 1312rpm) 55c and below, and when gaming the fan would be at 35% (roughly 2305rpm) 56c and above.

Idle temps for stock:
Core 48c
Memory 58c
Shader 46c
VRM 45c

Stress temps for Stock:
Core 61c
Memory 72c
Shader 62c
VRM 69c

T-Rad2 idle temps
Core 30c
Memory 42c
Shader 32c
VRM 45c

T-Rad2 Stress temps
Core 42c
Memory 58c
Shader 48c
VRM 84c!!!

So all really good apart from the VRM temp, for some reason this has gone up bout 10c, and dont know why, i think ive cover all hot spots on the card with the heatsinks, i just looked on the stock cooler where the thermal pads where, and then also added the spare heatsinks to other parts on the card too. Looking at the above picture, have i missed the VRM's, also where abouts are the VRMs on the PowerColor??

Not sure, I've got exactly the same card and you've put the heatsinks in the same positions as I have...even an extra one in the far bottom right corner which I havent put on. Any my temps have been fine, massive improvements

BOOO!!!! Thats just typical :rolleyes:

Think the ones who ordered first and gave reviews and opinions should have the difference refunded :p

good call willbo - i second that, obviously :D

would cool if they made a 4870x2 version of this.

i read somewhere that they are not considering it as multi gpu cards generally change pcb layouts and mounting holes - plus they said the market isnt big enough for that specific card - when you think that the trad fits most recent gpu's its easy to see their logic i guess

ALSO

good results lettuce - is it as quiet as we all expect?

will add you to the results table at some point today mate!

On a related note, what sort of overclocks are people getting with these low temps?

I recently bought an Arctic Cooling Accelero Twin Turbo for my 4780 512mb, and although it lowered my temps substantially i didn't get much more headroom.

Currently at 822 core and 1033 memory, anything over that and ati tools starts getting speckley!

Thought it might be interesting!

Idle temps for stock:
Core 48c
Memory 58c
Shader 46c
VRM 45c

Stress temps for Stock:
Core 61c
Memory 72c
Shader 62c
VRM 69c

T-Rad2 idle temps
Core 30c
Memory 42c
Shader 32c
VRM 45c

T-Rad2 Stress temps
Core 42c
Memory 58c
Shader 48c
VRM 84c!!!

I've put my heatsinks the same as you except where you have the thin flat one, I have one of the thicker 'main memory' type sinks instead. Also, on the bit where you need 2 heat sinks to fit, I have used 2 flat ones.

On a related note, what sort of overclocks are people getting with these low temps?

I recently bought an Arctic Cooling Accelero Twin Turbo for my 4780 512mb, and although it lowered my temps substantially i didn't get much more headroom.

Currently at 822 core and 1033 memory, anything over that and ati tools starts getting speckley!

Thought it might be interesting!

im getting a massive overclock with my card - nearly 10%

and thats on top of the standard factory overclock!

I've put my heatsinks the same as you except where you have the thin flat one, I have one of the thicker 'main memory' type sinks instead. Also, on the bit where you need 2 heat sinks to fit, I have used 2 flat ones.

i used the flat one on mine as the way the memory is situated on the 9800gtx, the heatpipes pass over the VRM in very close proximity

Back
Top Bottom