Tabletop Warhammer?

Ah ok I just never saw it advertised that way I guess.

Imperial Fist yellow is the best yellow I've used, it's a contrast paint that doesn't act like one at all. Though after doing a few I decided IF's were actually pretty boring so gave up.
Tbh I wouldn't mind trying to paint a mini 'properly' but rarely know where to start.
Like I sprayed a few models in salamander green, great, no idea what I was supposed to do after that lol. I find there are many good videos out there, but most assume you're already an expert in some area.

I have considered just getting a company to paint an army for me, I feel if I enjoyed it more I may actually have made more progress. Though I wouldn't pay them to do the Iron Hands as even I can make those look ok lol.

Last edited:
had to edit my post there as the reviewer didn't go straight over black prime with yellow in the videos i linked but have seen it in others.

I totally glossed over the basics of painting for my first year. There just so many techniques out there.

Volumetric highlights, shading and contrast is what I'm trying to learn atm

Ive watched a few of the fanatic paint reviews and they do look incredible. Going to wait to see some "normal" users use them to see if they are worth the plunge. Spent c£100 already on GW paints in the last couple of months so most of them are still almost full. Like others, Im still trying to learn and master techniques and working out what works best for me.

Ive watched a few of the fanatic paint reviews and they do look incredible. Going to wait to see some "normal" users use them to see if they are worth the plunge. Spent c£100 already on GW paints in the last couple of months so most of them are still almost full. Like others, Im still trying to learn and master techniques and working out what works best for me.

Nailed it. So many videos say how simple something is, because it is to someone whose fulltime job is painting thinks it is.

Just catalogued my paints, not as bad as I though, 93 Citadel, 60 TTC, and a couple of odd ones. Still a lot for someone who doesn't really enjoy it (yet) but at least there is a good chance I have a paint for a scheme I may try and follow.

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong there's nothing wrong with GW paints as they where the standard bearer for quality for years and what other companies aim for or try and surpass.

Every range has its strengths and weaknesses. It's just other ranges might offer better value, finish of your preference, ease of use, coverage etc. It's best to have variety of paints you enjoy using

I hate GW pots and the way they name their paints. Rhinox hide? Deathworld forest? Steel legion drab? emperor children?

I think the most important thing early in the learning to paint journey is to leave all the weird and wonderful techniques alone for a bit and concentrate on the basics until you're happy and a bit more confident.

You can achieve great results with very basic techniques and really nail down your fundamentals of brush control etc. You don't need under shading, zenithal highlights, OSL, slap chop, contrast plus or whatever other painting fad is currently sweeping youtube straight off the bat imo.

All of my initial minis were simple black undercoat/prime, solid colour base, drybrush highlights, shade wash, retouch highlights and details (or straight to coloured prime/basecoat with marines) all done with regular Citadel acrylics.

I'm glad I had only found a couple of youtubers at the time and that they were doing videos on these sort of basic steps. I've then learnt to try other things in addition to this base skillset but have never been overwhelmed with seeing many people painting in many different ways - painting youtubers now seem to be desperate to chase views with fads because simple how to do the basics videos probably aren't exciting enough to get the views and subs.

I "gifted" myself and my kids (11M,14F) the limited edition dark vengeance box set for Christmas. I bought it on release, which must be able 12 years ago, but then we moved house and I never opened it!

We are going to paint it together. I am hoping it will be a nice way to introduce them to the hobby. We play a lot of board games and tabletop rpg (wfrp 2.0) but they have never done any miniature war gaming. They are familiar with the setting via videogames and boardgames like relic and space hulk.

I am optimistic that this might be a way to encourage them to take an interest in anything beyond videogames. In reality this is probably a terrible idea, and I am planting the seeds of addiction to plastic crack!

I think the most important thing early in the learning to paint journey is to leave all the weird and wonderful techniques alone for a bit and concentrate on the basics until you're happy and a bit more confident.

You can achieve great results with very basic techniques and really nail down your fundamentals of brush control etc. You don't need under shading, zenithal highlights, OSL, slap chop, contrast plus or whatever other painting fad is currently sweeping youtube straight off the bat imo.

All of my initial minis were simple black undercoat/prime, solid colour base, drybrush highlights, shade wash, retouch highlights and details (or straight to coloured prime/basecoat with marines) all done with regular Citadel acrylics.

I'm glad I had only found a couple of youtubers at the time and that they were doing videos on these sort of basic steps. I've then learnt to try other things in addition to this base skillset but have never been overwhelmed with seeing many people painting in many different ways - painting youtubers now seem to be desperate to chase views with fads because simple how to do the basics videos probably aren't exciting enough to get the views and subs.
100%

You forgot about slapshot 2.0 :D the latest trend seems to be very heavy into stippling!!

Drybrushing/stippling is something I just have zero interest in learning. I have dabbled a bit but I think as Kenai said, it is better to get competent with a few things at a time, and due to how little dry brushing seems to come in to the videos I watch, it seems silly spending ages on a mini then ruining it because I don't know how to drybrush properly.

Last thing I struggled with was edge highlighting with a metallic, the paint made the bristles go hard real quick and it wasn't really coming off the brush at all, maybe not thin enough but always seemed to be too thick or too watery.

Need to modify my captain in terminator armour because I don't want the Tyranid bit on it, I hate the alien bug aesthetic so purge wherever I can. I think I could just chop the pegs off and stick it down maybe, but I think the stance may be odd. Figured out (finally) why my filing sucks, I needed finer grit so I ordered some 1000grit sponge instead of using the metal files that the paint showed up where I had used them.

Last edited:
IMG-0202.jpg

IMG-0203.jpg

IMG-0204.jpg

IMG-0205.jpg

Finally finished Krondys this morning, very pleased with the way he turned out.

Primed in Wraithbone, painted around 90% in contrast paints, drybrushed with layer paints all Citadel.

Happy New Year folks lets hope its a good one !

Cheers All

For me, drybrushing (not really similar to stippling) was probably the easiest and most effective 'non standard' technique I learned, to the point I personally consider it to be one of the fundamental basics for anyone who isn't a pro painter because it's so easy and such a massive time saver.

You also run very little risk of ruining minis you've put hours into as it's an early step in the process (for me, the first thing after the base coat - others shade first) and hard to get wrong once you've tried it a couple of times.

Absolutely none of the glamour of most YouTubers but I found videos like this invaluable when starting out learning the basics.

Finally finished Krondys this morning

That looks incredible, really striking :)

Last edited:
I "gifted" myself and my kids (11M,14F) the limited edition dark vengeance box set for Christmas. I bought it on release, which must be able 12 years ago, but then we moved house and I never opened it!

We are going to paint it together. I am hoping it will be a nice way to introduce them to the hobby. We play a lot of board games and tabletop rpg (wfrp 2.0) but they have never done any miniature war gaming. They are familiar with the setting via videogames and boardgames like relic and space hulk.

I am optimistic that this might be a way to encourage them to take an interest in anything beyond videogames. In reality this is probably a terrible idea, and I am planting the seeds of addiction to plastic crack!
Plastic Crack? Just wait till the "I need more hobby supplies to paint the pile of plastic crack" stage :D

I'm late to the game but its a fantastic hobby weather you enjoy the gaming or painting or both sides of the hobby.

Plastic Crack? Just wait till the "I need more hobby supplies to paint the pile of plastic crack" stage :D

I'm late to the game but its a fantastic hobby weather you enjoy the gaming or painting or both sides of the hobby.
Same here I was never really into Warhammer but did enjoy building and painting models.

Just before the first lockdown I bought my first fdm 3d printer, then needed paint to use on the prints, Vallejo & Citadel were my choice of paints as they were readily available from Amazon.

Nearly 3 years later I walk into my local Warhammer store to get more paint & just fell in love with The AOS stuff.

I suppose it is an addiction but I can think of worse ones to have.

Cheers all

The Warhammer TV version of Iron Hands seems really basic. It doesn't scream iron to me at all, it's just black. Though I guess simplicity is the point

I've noticed there is definitely no correlation between time and or paints used to the final result. I've seen some much quicker processes with fewer paints look just as good as overly complicated ones using 10+ paints.

Last edited:
For me, drybrushing (not really similar to stippling) was probably the easiest and most effective 'non standard' technique I learned, to the point I personally consider it to be one of the fundamental basics for anyone who isn't a pro painter because it's so easy and such a massive time saver.

You also run very little risk of ruining minis you've put hours into as it's an early step in the process (for me, the first thing after the base coat - others shade first) and hard to get wrong once you've tried it a couple of times.

Absolutely none of the glamour of most YouTubers but I found videos like this invaluable when starting out learning the basics.

That looks incredible, really striking :)
Many Thanks :)

Got a delivery today.

The army must grow.

I soaked some minis overnight in IPA and this morning the paint has barely shifted. This IPA is allegedly 99.9% and yet is working completely differently to the other stuff I had. I'm just going to leave it in there for now but I won't be buying it again.
A little late but IIRC IPA doesn't work well on all paints, the best general stripper I've found was biostrip, which you can buy in very large tubs for about £20-30 and basically paint it on and leave it for an hour or so and it usually results in the paint sloughing off.
Younger brother would leave them in a cup of it over night (and reuse it), or IIRC would wrap them in cling as the biostrip from memory can dry out so keeping the model wrapped means it's getting the active effect for longer (overnight).

Back
Top Bottom