Tabletop Warhammer?

Managed to get one coat of primer on before it started raining again. So annoying, but not as annoying as faffing around with an airbrush at least. I am doing the pink/white zenethil for fists, but I am also trying doing it all in grey and then spraying the pink from underneath before I do the top white.

I want GW to hurry up and announce the pre-order date for the Deathwing Assault box and stuff shown off on Christmas day. I'm being impatient, but I've been waiting for this box months already from the rumours, and I'd like to get the rest of my Dark Angels purchased and on the pile so I can work on them at my convenience lol
I do wish the box set came with the Terminator Chaplain as well, as I think that would have been an ideal companion model, but I can't complain, especially since these boxes usually come with a decent amount of money off the standalone prices and it's more or less most of what I wanted to round out my army. I am slightly torn on the special edition codex, vs the look of it as standard, but I guess I can't complain.

My FLGS has already told me they're not going to setup a pre-order list though until they have further details, and I guess I don't blame them with how bad GW can be with availability.

My (Dark Angel) to buy list now looks like this:
Deathwing Assault Box Set
Chaplain in Terminator Armour (he's definately getting the shield given my chosen army aesthetic)
Terminator box so I can field 2x 10 man squads, both with Plasma cannons based on the fact the DWA box comes with two upgrade sprues with the cannon, and I'll combine with the 5 Terminators from Leviathan, if I mix and match the different models, it won't matter all the Leviathan ones are 'standard' as there will be enough variety.
I am DEBATING buying 1 additional new Dark Angel upgrade pack, as then I'd have the option to field 2x 5 man Terminator squads and 1x 10 man, ALL with Plasma Cannons, however might cause complications, so this is a MAYBE.
Inner Circle Companions (unsure as yet as to whether I'll need 1 or 2 boxes of these, as don't know squad sizes vs how many will be in a box yet, and GW have a bad habit of releasing boxes of 'half strength' squads right now)

<INSERT SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY MEME HERE>

As a plus side however, I've got enough loyalty points with my FLGS I should get 20/25% off the Deathwing Assault box, which will certainly help, as I have enough loyalty points saved to get an additional 10% off a box, andt they do 15% as standard for non direct-order, and once the box goes over £50 it becomes better value in points than the £10 voucher offer they do :)

Edit: Just got back from FLGS on my lunch, Terminator box and Terminator Chaplain checked off. Glad on that last one as he'd been out of stock for a while, but can tell they're still waiting for deliveries as holes in the range.
Saved about £10 off the GW price just across these two boxes. It adds up, and certainly helps offset the cost of all the additional paints and doodads we find ourselves wanting!!

Last edited:
Managed to get one coat of primer on before it started raining again. So annoying, but not as annoying as faffing around with an airbrush at least. I am doing the pink/white zenethil for fists, but I am also trying doing it all in grey and then spraying the pink from underneath before I do the top white.
I feel your pain on the priming side.

So glad I picked up a spray booth a couple of weeks ago, finally I can spray stuff indoors and push all the fumes out of the window.

IMG-0197.jpg

This mornings purchases, my local hardware store (literally 2 minyutes walk down the road for me) is still selling Warhammer stuff at 30%, I just had to grab these ;)

£22 each what a bargain.

Cheers All

That is a good price, especially these days. The Devastators and Tactical squads are first born, but pretty sure even if they get discontinued you'll be able to proxy them. They're just slightly short Primaris ;)

You are very lucky to find somewhere selling 30% off, really not sure they're making any money there!

Last edited:
That is a good price, especially these days. The Devastators and Tactical squads are first born, but pretty sure even if they get discontinued you'll be able to proxy them. They're just slightly short Primaris ;)

You are very lucky to find somewhere selling 30% off, really not sure they're making any money there!
Its a family run hardware store and they have a small concession stand type thing in the shop, but they don't restock stuff.

Only a few bits left now sadly.

Oh I do it inside sometimes but I end up breathing too many fumes lol.
Could not believe the dust I cleaned out of the booths rear filter after using spray can of wraithbone to prime a couple of drakes.

The dust more or less covered the top of a wheelie bin after I had brushed out the filter.

Is stripping a mini necessary always?

If my primer (steel forge silver) is darker than what is already on the mini then can I just cover it up? I can think covering details could be an issue if too thick but these are space marines..

I've decided that I don't have the skill to make the fists look good. I have however had a good result painting iron hands on a tutorial I followed and I actually quite like the plain black and white scheme.
Guess I won't be needing those imperial Fist dice now lol.

Last edited:
Is stripping a mini necessary always?

If my primer (steel forge silver) is darker than what is already on the mini then can I just cover it up? I can think covering details could be an issue if too thick but these are space marines..

I've decided that I don't have the skill to make the fists look good. I have however had a good result painting iron hands on a tutorial I followed and I actually quite like the plain black and white scheme.
Guess I won't be needing those imperial Fist dice now lol.

Not really, it depends on how thick you have ended up after priming/painting.

Usually if its just 1 or sometimes 2 layers of primer I wont, but if ive used layer paints or anything thats gotten into the small details I will.

Not really, it depends on how thick you have ended up after priming/painting.

Usually if its just 1 or sometimes 2 layers of primer I wont, but if ive used layer paints or anything thats gotten into the small details I will.

I think I'll just spray one and see, I've nearly gone through all the IPA I just got.

so I was a lucky boy at Christmas:

Army Painter Battlerfields Basing Set
Brutalis Dreadnaught
Primaris Repulsor Executioner
Aeldari Combat Patrol
Artis Opus brush

sadly Ive not had a chance to do any of it as I seem to have become the in house salon. Apparently as I can paint miniatures that qualifies me for bleaching and colouring my wife and daughters hair.....

Hopefully will start to get the Aeldari assembled and painted over the coming days befone going back to work.

Another noob question, if my metallic primer is a bit too light, could I spray it over an initial black one, or would it work to do a quick nuln oil before I apply the base coat. I am trying to avoid the step of going: Grey Primer -> Iron Hands Steel -> Black Templar (contrast), by going straight in with the metallic primer.

Tell you something else I wasn't really anticipating but aside from the stress of messing up my models and not being able to replicate what I see, the hobby has had a positive impact on my mental health (not on finances), I've met new people through it and it has opened up a social side of things I wasn't expecting when I started as I'm very introverted.

Last edited:
I think I'll just spray one and see, I've nearly gone through all the IPA I just got.

Heh?

How are you getting through it, empty a bottle into a airtight container, drop parts in and seal it up for an hour, just keep re-using it until it completely evaporates. A bottle or jug should last months if not years :D

if my metallic primer is a bit too light, could I spray it over an initial black one, or would it work to do a quick nuln oil before I apply the base coat.

As long as you only put the metalic on "thin" and in 1 coat the black primer will dull it slightly, but nuln oil is a sure fire way to tone it down. The good thing with nuln is you can add multiple passes until you get the look you are after.

Back
Top Bottom