Tabletop Warhammer?

Associate
Seriously thinking about getting back into the hobby, but don’t won’t go down the 40k route again. Wish fantasy was still going, anyone play age of sigmar.
What’s it actually like, I remember when it got released, what was around the same time I stopped collecting any games work shop models. It got a lot of negative reviews on YouTube at the time.
They're bringing back fantasy at some point in the next few years as "old world" I think. How serious that effort will be or whether it will catch on I don't know. Have you considered Horus heresy instead of 4k?

Associate
They're bringing back fantasy at some point in the next few years as "old world" I think. How serious that effort will be or whether it will catch on I don't know. Have you considered Horus heresy instead of 4k?
I have considered it, as reading the novels of the Horus hersey has been only thing that has keep me in the world to honest. I was thinking of buying the actually game and would have a decent sized army to start with. But I am kind of fed up with space marines.
I always like the idea of fantasy side of war hammer and started to build an army when they announced AOG. Then sold the army I started to buikd.

Soldato
Anyone tried those contrast paints from GW?

I've never used one, or been that keen if I'm honest, but I'm thinking about painting up an army with orange jumpsuits, I've tried various orange paints, army painter, VH etc all been very terrible.

Wondering if the GW contrast are good, would make things much faster as well.

Associate
Anyone tried those contrast paints from GW?

I've never used one, or been that keen if I'm honest, but I'm thinking about painting up an army with orange jumpsuits, I've tried various orange paints, army painter, VH etc all been very terrible.

Wondering if the GW contrast are good, would make things much faster as well.
Those blue marines a few posts up are painted with Army Painter speed paints, these are the Army Painters version of Contrast Paint.
That is one coat of `Highlord Blue` over a grey/white zenithal prime. Then touched up and detailed.
If you look at the squad leader (4rd image with the cap). The legs, the skull and the axe blade all show the finish of speed paint. Just one coat, slapped on and left to dry.
On the 2nd image the glowy effect is just one coat of a random `plasma blue` speed paint over a white prime.

Associate
Leagues of Votann
Ohh, yeah I'm not surprised. I think this is a standard thing in tabletop and online games now. Bring out a new race or civilization in an add-on and make them overpowered.
Everyone buys in because they want to win, then you patch the game or revise the rules a few months later to temper them down. Congratulations you sold more than you would have otherwise

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
My only issue with LoV as a tau player is that their infantry can carry a gun with the same stats as a broadside. A heavy weapons battlesuit with slow movement and a reactor to power itself.
In game, reference a broadside with heavy rail rifle has limited movement without buffs. Isn't core any more and only really has an advantage at range. Meanwhile LoV have the same weapon profile on a troop model. It does have limited range but the broadside doesn't have splash damage carryover etc.
As someone who spent three months painting models after the tau codex released only to have everything I painted nerfed heavily, it made me just lose interest in 40k a little.
At least I can paint Tau quickly. These votann models look hard to paint. I can see most people grabbing the army box being subjected to a dataslate rebalance by the time they have them tabletop ready.

It's boring and predictable at this point by GW. At least I have a Necron army which is also broken at the minute too...

Last edited:
Soldato
they will probably revise this in revision 10 of the rules which I think is due out next year? so they are just cashing in on the new OP units so there is gold rush fever and everyone scrambles to get them and then they will likely water them down, so in about 6 months time the internet will be filled with Games Workshop suck posts because they neutered my boyz............

It's a bit like when Blizzard massively buff a new class that it available in a new paid for expansion and then tone it down in the next patch cycle.

I only really collect for the painting side so stuff like this almost passes me by, but I can see why real enthusiasts would be hacked off.

Associate
This has happened in ever new codex released for the last couple of editions at least, it's doubly so for a new faction. 40k is incredibly unbalanced, sigmar at least has something like an average 45-55% win rate for each faction at competitions.

Caporegime
4 way battle last night. Myself as Salamanders allied with Tau vs Space Wolves allied with Eldar.

2 Tau broadsides 1 shotted a redemptor dread, wraithlord and farseer on jetbike.

By the end of turn 3 they had 1 dire avenger left and 3 incursors. We'd lost 17 fire warriors, 3 stealth suits, 2 incursors and a chaplain on bike.

Absolutely nothing wrong with their tactics, just as soon as the broadsides got LoS on something it was deleted. That simple. Not a thing they could do against them.

Soldato
This has happened in ever new codex released for the last couple of editions at least, it's doubly so for a new faction. 40k is incredibly unbalanced, sigmar at least has something like an average 45-55% win rate for each faction at competitions.

They backtracked today before the damn thing fully launched, with errata
Interesting, shows they really ****** up the OPing the launch to sell models.

Killteam is pretty well balanced now, virtually all within the 45-55 groupings.

Caporegime

Basically they made them so OP a load of tournaments and gaming groups outright said no.
GW ain't gonna sell many if people aren't allowed to play with them so had to back down.

Unfortunately this is really a result of the players and the desperate need to win so wanting to constantly have the latest and best army.

Associate

Plus as I was saying about balance, here is a thread they just put up.

All but 2 are between 40 and 60% win rate, all but 9 within 45/55%

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom