*** Tado Mini Review ***

Soldato
You couldnt even compare well using winter 2017/2018 as it was a cold one. We had Evohome and a new boiler at the same time, so trying to compare for me is pointless. What i will say is it must be making a difference purely that we only heat the rooms we use, though having a new baby means temps have needed to go up. House is certainly nice and warm when and where i want it.

Soldato
Yes sorry Dec 2018.

It's not wrong to compare year for year regardless of at which point in the year you use as a reference. Think of it like this, where January = 1 and December = 12, add up all the months numbers you get 78 regardless of where you start adding from.

Based on current tariff price (higher than 2016-2017). And we had a stupid hot summer.

Even so, with all the figures in the world, it's no where near the £300 Tado estimated.

Soldato
Tado is officially going back. It was a nice experiment but unfortunately it does not live up to it's own hype/marketing for us. We rented the thermostat and extension kit at a reduced price for a year (£70), renewed it a few months ago (£100 or so), and they want another £225 to purchase both outright.

Soldato
Tado is officially going back. It was a nice experiment but unfortunately it does not live up to it's own hype/marketing for us. We rented the thermostat and extension kit at a reduced price for a year (£70), renewed it a few months ago (£100 or so), and they want another £225 to purchase both outright.

I agree that the rental idea just didn't work for me. The amount they wanted didn't make it worth while. Plus they wanted about £10 to send it back to Germany! I bought mine outright on eBay for not much more than renting.

Soldato
I agree that the rental idea just didn't work for me. The amount they wanted didn't make it worth while. Plus they wanted about £10 to send it back to Germany! I bought mine outright on eBay for not much more than renting.

I think if I was now in ownership of the system having spent £170 so far I'd probably just keep it. I might have a look on ebay for second hand units. It's a good system, just hasn't saved me what they said it would and is too expensive.

Soldato
I think if I was now in ownership of the system having spent £170 so far I'd probably just keep it. I might have a look on ebay for second hand units. It's a good system, just hasn't saved me what they said it would and is too expensive.

So your issue is you made a poor choice at purchase and haven’t saved exactly what they said you could save up to?

Non of that is Tado’s fault. When Tado produced it’s financial model to substantiate it’s claim’s, they didn’t know you’d buy one, what house you’d live in, where that house would be, what it would be constructed from, how thermally efficient it would be, what type of fuel and how efficient your heating system would be, how your life/circumstances would be, what the fuel duty surcharges would be, your tariff pricing or what the weather would be like from one year to the next.

I paid about £60ish for my Tado, it’s saved me many times that over the years and that’s ignoring the convenience factor of going from no remote thermostat to having one. My parents got a Hive and use it to control a remote property at the other end of the country, it’s saved them driving thousands of miles or paying thousands to heat a house on oil when it wasn’t required. I can’t directly compare one year against another because one year we spent the majority of the summer away from home, another had a lovely long summer and another saw a significant change in family lifestyle. To try and directly compare them doesn’t work no matter how you try and fudge it.

Soldato
So your issue is you made a poor choice at purchase and haven’t saved exactly what they said you could save up to?

Non of that is Tado’s fault. When Tado produced it’s financial model to substantiate it’s claim’s, they didn’t know you’d buy one, what house you’d live in, where that house would be, what it would be constructed from, how thermally efficient it would be, what type of fuel and how efficient your heating system would be, how your life/circumstances would be, what the fuel duty surcharges would be, your tariff pricing or what the weather would be like from one year to the next.

I paid about £60ish for my Tado, it’s saved me many times that over the years and that’s ignoring the convenience factor of going from no remote thermostat to having one. My parents got a Hive and use it to control a remote property at the other end of the country, it’s saved them driving thousands of miles or paying thousands to heat a house on oil when it wasn’t required. I can’t directly compare one year against another because one year we spent the majority of the summer away from home, another had a lovely long summer and another saw a significant change in family lifestyle. To try and directly compare them doesn’t work no matter how you try and fudge it.

My mistake was not checking consumption before the end of the first year. I'll be refunded the second year (full price of this years rental) when I send it back. The whole point of the exercise for me was to save money. In Tado's own words "It doesn’t matter what your living situation is, tado° pays for itself within the first year.": https://www.tado.com/gb/heatingcontrol-savings#energy-savings-guarantee

I like the product, was amazed it worked with my ancient boiler and would keep it if it worked out cheaper and I saw some savings (shame I have to have the extension kit as well as the thermostat).

Back
Top Bottom