Take Away curries, why do we never learn?

Soldato
And what’s your solution, shut em all down?

last weeks calorie labelling should help, pity its just 600 odd employees or more
... maybe we should have a tax basd on average calorific value of meals they serve. versus rdi.

They just had an interview with this Wahakawacko CEO (tomasina myers ?) on the radio who was complaining about new calorie labelling being necessary on their menu,
definitely helps people who can't do that themselves -
won't be going there, but quick dive - what the hell https://www.wahaca.co.uk/mexican-menu-full/

Sides - Sweet potato 'bravas'
Crispy sweet potatoes, served with jalepeño allioli and smoky hibiscus dip
£5.50
V

627kcal

Caporegime
Dont know what I would do if I was in a position to do something, but I do know its a growing problem, on my street there is 17 takeaways. Only a few business premises are non food related.
Then we’re crossing into onto the death of the high street argument. It seems like takeaways and bookies are the only viable high street businesses these days

Soldato
Then we’re crossing into onto the death of the high street argument. It seems like takeaways and bookies are the only viable high street businesses these days
Even those are slowly changing, for a few around here where they now work out of an industrial place and do delivery only.

Soldato
Yea, when inspected thinking at worst it might be beef, it turned out to be chicken :eek:.

Horrific. They were sharing 1 shower between about 16 people and there was a steady traffic of them going in and out. Dead rats and rat poop all in the roof spaces and walls. There were a few "storage" units outside that had food in them barely covered up.

The worrying thing is that they have moved up the town to another location and are opening up a Chinese up there.

Nope, never again will I have Chinese food. I understand that I might be tarnishing them with the same brush but this was just horrible.

When I first walked in there I was gagging and had to leave the building for a few minutes before going back in. They were also re serving left over prawn crackers.

How it got past the food standards agency is beyond me, probably a bit of cash in hand to turn a blind eye. Im sure it happens a lot.

I don't think I'll be having takeaway full stop now
You should have reported them to the authorities, a gangmaster is probably exploiting them and they are all illegal. Also, the 'food' they are serving is likely to kill someone so they should be shut down for that alone.

Soldato
Soldato
There was one not far from me that was hit with the biggest fine ever issued by the council, they find body fluids in the food. Chicken kept in buckets outside.
It closed down and a while later reopened with the blokes wife now down as owner.
www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/30000-fine-for-curry-house-907624.amp

Crazy that local people still go there.
Insane stuff, are people oblivious or do they really not care? It's amazing what you can get away with in business sometimes and they shouldn't be able to do so.

Associate
I guess it all depends where you order from. I rarely have take aways... you don't know whats gone into your food or what conditions your food has been prepared in. Some of the places are unhygienic.

Associate
There was one down the road from me, seems to have been a bit of drama behind the scenes the last ~3 years which I don't know the details. They used to be fully Westernised take on Indian food and included a lot of Western stuff like fish and chips, etc. and were highly rated, switched to a more authentic approach and binned off stuff like fish and chips and reviews took a nose dive as it wasn't what people were expecting. Sadly in the last 2 years quality and hygiene took a nose dive as well, probably COVID had an impact, until they closed recently.

I'm not 100% so might have it wrong but I believe it was a partnership between 2 older generation Indian brothers and when one died the other took the business a different direction and ultimately ran it into the ground.

Similar situation to a Chinese takeaway near where I used to live. The food was genuinely amazing. This was the days before Just Eat and if it stuck around with the original owners, crikey, it would have boomed! Fresh vegetables and the Duck (which is usually a total rip off) was decent. The original family left and I guess, another family member took over, its awful and a mere shadow of its former self. Its funny that members have said, large barrels next to the building, I presume and hope its oil for disposal - now reading this thread, its enough to put me off further!

Again going back a while, used to order from a local takeaway, very generous portions, and one day, discovered the health rating, 1 star - makes me feel very queasy in retrospect! I like to think I built up my immune system. :o

Nowadays, rather than simply rely on Just Eat etc, ask locals, neighbours as they know the area etc.

Soldato
Again going back a while, used to order from a local takeaway, very generous portions, and one day, discovered the health rating, 1 star - makes me feel very queasy in retrospect! I like to think I built up my immune system. :o

If it helps a 1 star can be as little as not properly documenting everything (fridge temps, wastage, cooking temps, closing checks etc.) and having 1 or 2 things a day out of date or not correctly labled (but still fine).

Honestly, I wish the FSA had more powers to shut down actually dodgy places. A 1/5 can be anything from a few minor issues to major safety problems and they still have to give places time to fix issues before shutting them down.

Soldato

That had crossed my mind.

I dont think we should do nothing though, I think if we prepared to do things like add a sugar tax, pressure supermarkets, then there should be similar stuff done to takeaways.

Soldato
That had crossed my mind.

I dont think we should do nothing though, I think if we prepared to do things like add a sugar tax, pressure supermarkets, then there should be similar stuff done to takeaways.
Remove all those taxes you mentioned. Then add tax on people's BMI the higher your BMI the more you pay.
Don't punish people like me who enjoy a takeaway but look after themselves, punish the people that eat it every night and look like a planet.

Soldato
Remove all those taxes you mentioned. Then add tax on people's BMI the higher your BMI the more you pay.
Don't punish people like me who enjoy a takeaway but look after themselves, punish the people that eat it every night and look like a planet.

The problem doing that, you tackling the problem "after" its happened. Not to mention there is health conditions that affect BMI.

How do you know people with high BMI are not just having takeaways once a week?

But you did say remove all taxes which means you not discriminating against supermarket food vs takeaways which is something I am ok with. My issue really is the bigger culprit is getting less targeted.

Back
Top Bottom