Take the buzzfeed sci-fi movie nerd test

Soldato
I got halfway through ticking before thinking "WTF is this list supposed to be?" and gave up. like others have said, some silly choices for a sci-fi test.

Soldato

I see Truman Show's sci-fi credentials being questioned. It's definitely a sci-fi concept, though.
The superhero movies are more questionable. It's not like you'd consider actual Iron Man comics to be sci-fi.

Associate
Haven't seen
The Fountain .. which have always fancied watching
Mr Nobody
Her
.. and to my eternal movie loving shame , A Clockwork Orange.. cant bring myself to watch it despite having it in a Kubrick boxset

Associate
48. I've not seen The Fountain, Mr Nobody and The Mist.

Definitely, It's a fantastic film!
Worth checking out The Mist plus theres a lovely special edition with a black and white version.

Its up there with the best Stephen King adaptations, its faithfull to the short story and even grimmer.

Caporegime
The superhero movies are more questionable. It's not like you'd consider actual Iron Man comics to be sci-fi.

In what world is Iron Man not sci fi?

Science fiction (sometimes called sci-fi or simply SF) is a genre of speculative fiction that typically deals with imaginative and futuristic concepts such as advanced science and technology, space exploration, time travel, parallel universes, and extraterrestrial life.

Iron Man literally covers ALL of that.

Shocked so many people haven't seen The Fountain, it's barely sci fi but it's a great film.

Soldato
Worth checking out The Mist plus theres a lovely special edition with a black and white version.

Its up there with the best Stephen King adaptations, its faithfull to the short story and even grimmer.
I can understand The Mist being on the list (poetry!) but I still peg it more as horror than sci-fi, especially as the possibly military portal explanation was never positively identified or expanded upon. I must admit I found the B&W version disappointing, seemed they'd just turned the colour saturation off rather than tweaking all the monochrome ranges to make it more "different".

Associate
I can understand The Mist being on the list (poetry!) but I still peg it more as horror than sci-fi, especially as the possibly military portal explanation was never positively identified or expanded upon. I must admit I found the B&W version disappointing, seemed they'd just turned the colour saturation off rather than tweaking all the monochrome ranges to make it more "different".

Yes definitely horror but with that hint of Half Life esq beginnings.
Been a while since I watched the b&w version, but dont remember being put off by the palette. Will see how it looks on a newer tv.

Commissario
Superhero movies, and comics, are fantasy. Things just ARE, because that's how it is in those worlds. That's what distinguishes them from Sci-Fi.
Really all superhero movies and comics are fantasy?

Whilst Star Trek with it's particle and "insert completely nonsensical techno babble" explanations isn't?

There are "superhero" and "comic book" movies that make far more sense from a science fiction standpoint than a lot of the "sci fi" films.
I'd say the a majority of "science fiction" could easily be called "science fantasy" if you're going to go down some arbitrary route to declare super hero/comic book stuff as all fantasy, as very few science fiction films stand up to any scrutiny as much of the time they get basic science wrong or offer no explanation why things work and even Arthur C Clark put it as "any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic".

Back
Top Bottom