Team Group Dark Pro "8 Pack Edition" 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C14 3200MHz Dual Channel Kit - Black

Associate
Hard to give a straight answer, depends on the board. My board prefers lower clock speed and tighter timings (i posted my findings in a separate thread)

On a OC Formula or Asus Apex then you can have your cake and eat it.

On lesser boards (mine included) probably best to start to start with 3200-12-12-12-28-1T and take it in steps to see how far the ram goes. Increase CAS timings +1 if no boot from that starting position. Once you hit a mhz blocker, increase the vdimm volts up to a max of 1.5v.

Then do a 17-17-17-28-2T test and focus on Mhz, take the two results and work out from there a nice balance for your system. The holy grail on air is 4000-12-12-12-28-1T with two sticks and lowest volts. If you can get to 3600-12-12-12-28-2T on air with 1.5v you are doing well.

I would avoid copying some of the testing you see on the web as they (usually) are binning single sticks and/or working with nice cooling setups.

Really appreciate the info Cheers! I'll give it a good to at finding the max.

What I kind of meant was, regardless of speed or cas, do (mainly games) perform better with higher MHz or lower cas*

Soldato
What I kind of meant was, regardless of speed or cas, do (mainly games) perform better with higher MHz or lower cas*

I know, there is no straight answer. In games at 1440p resolution and higher, not much perf. difference in the games I play whether it is 3200C14 or 4200C19. Even quad memory channel systems don't show much performance advantage over dual channel.

The problem is not many peeps can get 4200C19 out of their system at stock volts and so I am just recommending that you are better off chasing a lower latency timing and then trying to get what you can out of the mhz of your ram.

Associate
Associate
I know, there is no straight answer. In games at 1440p resolution and higher, not much perf. difference in the games I play whether it is 3200C14 or 4200C19. Even quad memory channel systems don't show much performance advantage over dual channel.

The problem is not many peeps can get 4200C19 out of their system at stock volts and so I am just recommending that you are better off chasing a lower latency timing and then trying to get what you can out of the mhz of your ram.

Ahhh, ok I get it, cheers. Sorry misunderstood what you meant.

I'm on 3200 at the default xmp, will try for lower cas first

Soldato
I'm not sure if I'm stable now at 3600MHz CL16. Over the last few days I've play about 5hrs across 3 games with no issues.

But last night whilst in a menu in new Wolfenstein I got the windows 'ding dong' chime and the mouse turned to an hourglass.

Windows tho completely fine. 'Cntl alt delete' the game and then relaunch with no issues.

Reading online the game does have lots of bugs so might not be the ram...

I will need to give it a run of HCI to see whats up. Do people suggest a dram voltage bump?

Associate
I'm not sure if I'm stable now at 3600MHz CL16. Over the last few days I've play about 5hrs across 3 games with no issues.

But last night whilst in a menu in new Wolfenstein I got the windows 'ding dong' chime and the mouse turned to an hourglass.

Windows tho completely fine. 'Cntl alt delete' the game and then relaunch with no issues.

I will need to give it a run of HCI to see whats up. Do people suggest a dram voltage bump?

Download memtest https://hcidesign.com/memtest/ and memtesthelper: https://github.com/integralfx/MemTestHelper/releases

memtesthelper is just a macro that will click all the necessary buttons for you to start up all the instances. You need to put "memtest.exe" into the same folder as mtesthelper after you unzip both.

Run 2-3gb below your max RAM and use as many threads as you have in your cpu. Under options set it to 400%. See if you get errors. 1 error = unstable.

B-Die = safe @ 1.5v for 24x7
not sure what is safe for SoC on ryzen. I'm on intel.

Soldato
Download memtest https://hcidesign.com/memtest/ and memtesthelper: https://github.com/integralfx/MemTestHelper/releases

memtesthelper is just a macro that will click all the necessary buttons for you to start up all the instances. You need to put "memtest.exe" into the same folder as mtesthelper after you unzip both.

Run 2-3gb below your max RAM and use as many threads as you have in your cpu. Under options set it to 400%. See if you get errors. 1 error = unstable.

B-Die = safe @ 1.5v for 24x7
not sure what is safe for SoC on ryzen. I'm on intel.

Cheers!

So I guess I keep increasing my voltage by 0.25 until I get stability?

Last edited:
Associate
Cheers!

So I guess I keep increasing my voltage by 0.25 until I get stability?

I'd do this.

Set your primary timings and volts manually. Put other timings on auto. Then run memtest. That will give you a stable base to work from.
Then you start tuning your secondary timings once you have a baseline. RAM tuning is tedious. Be patient.

Soldato

as above. setup a USB bootkey with memtest x86 installed and then do a test.

usually it will fail after about 2-3 minutes of unstable but some instability won't show for 8 hours :)

I usually leave it running for 60 minutes.

Soldato
Well I'm running HCI as I'm familiar with this. It's currently doing 12.5GB/16GB which I hope is sufficient.

400% is gonna take a while....

If I make it to 400% I can consider the ram fairly stable right?

---

It made it to 400% with no errors. So I'm putting this crash in new Wolfenstein down to the game it's self.

Last edited:
Associate
ryzen 3700x on b350 stock xmp 3200 cl 14-14-14-31-97 1.35v
T4lPC71.png
1900 fclk 3800 cl 16-16-16-36-50 1.44v
e6YgehH.png
My first ever attempt at ram oc, just dunno what voltages and timings ppl run these things with ( browsing through the pages of this thread atm).

Soldato
Yes mate. You keep your IF (FCLK) half your memory speed. I already answered your question here.
I know I asked this here just minutes after I asked in the other thread asI found this a more appropriate place.
I read and watched all about it thanks to you. So cheers for that

What I was actually asking is if this ram specifically can reach the required speed to do the full 1:1 1900mhz thing

Soldato
I know I asked this here just minutes after I asked in the other thread asI found this a more appropriate place.
I read and watched all about it thanks to you. So cheers for that

What I was actually asking is if this ram specifically can reach the required speed to do the full 1:1 1900mhz thing

There's only one way to find out.

But you looking at this the wrong way. FCLK of 1900 is gonna require a great chip.

The way to do it is, stick your ram to some low frequency like 2400MHz, stick the FCLK to 1900 and see what happens.

My PC wasn't having any of it (was getting audio corruption and the PC restarted on me) until I got down to an FCLK of 1800. This then meant that I had to set my ram to 3600MHz as your ram is twice the FCLK.

Once you know your FCLK and your ram speed, it's all about ram timings as well as volts etc.

What ram do you have?

Soldato
There's only one way to find out.

But you looking at this the wrong way. FCLK of 1900 is gonna require a great chip.

The way to do it is, stick your ram to some low frequency like 2400MHz, stick the FCLK to 1900 and see what happens.

My PC wasn't having any of it (was getting audio corruption and the PC restarted on me) until I got down to an FCLK of 1800. This then meant that I had to set my ram to 3600MHz as your ram is twice the FCLK.

Once you know your FCLK and your ram speed, it's all about ram timings as well as volts etc.

What ram do you have?
The title of this threads ram, that's why I'm here asking lol

8 pack team cl 14 3200

Soldato
The title of this threads ram, that's why I'm here asking lol

8 pack team cl 14 3200

OK... so the same as mine then! That's a good start. You should be able to get the same speed as me.

What I've done is the following:

I turned on DOCP (but probably unnecessary considering we are going to over ride the settings)

For now set the following:

Set the ram frequency to 3600MHz
Set the timings to 16 16 16 16 36
Set the FCLK to 1800MHz
Set the DRAM voltage to 1.4v
Set the SOC 1.11v

---

A few points to note. If your PC is like mine it wont be able to boot these timings.

For the very first time (not every boot) I have to go up the speed slowly.

So with everything above set, reduce your frequency to something low like 2400MHz.

Save and exit BIOS. The PC should post successfully, go back in to the BIOS and up the frequency of the ram to 2800MHz, then 3200Mhz then try 3600MHz.

That's what I have to do every time the BIOS gets reset (if I'm tinkering again)

You wont have to do this every time the PC boots just the first time or when ever it gets reset to stock.

---

A few more notes.

The voltage of 1.4v on the dram MAY be unnecessary. Not harmful but the ram maybe able to run at 1.35v which is what I intend on finding out.

---

Other than that you should be good.

Soldato
OK... so the same as mine then! That's a good start. You should be able to get the same speed as me.

What I've done is the following:

I turned on DOCP (but probably unnecessary considering we are going to over ride the settings)

For now set the following:

Set the ram frequency to 3600MHz
Set the timings to 16 16 16 16 36
Set the FCLK to 1800MHz
Set the DRAM voltage to 1.4v
Set the SOC 1.11v

---

A few points to note. If your PC is like mine it wont be able to boot these timings.

For the very first time (not every boot) I have to go up the speed slowly.

So with everything above set, reduce your frequency to something low like 2400MHz.

Save and exit BIOS. The PC should post successfully, go back in to the BIOS and up the frequency of the ram to 2800MHz, then 3200Mhz then try 3600MHz.

That's what I have to do every time the BIOS gets reset (if I'm tinkering again)

You wont have to do this every time the PC boots just the first time or when ever it gets reset to stock.

---

A few more notes.

The voltage of 1.4v on the dram MAY be unnecessary. Not harmful but the ram maybe able to run at 1.35v which is what I intend on finding out.

---

Other than that you should be good.
Thank you very much!

Back
Top Bottom