Tearing down statues

Caporegime
I heard that one of the chaps who worked on building your house got done for noncery some time back, I shall be there forthwith to tear the abomination down.

I think there's probably a difference between a building that exists due to a deplorable person and a statue which has direct connotations to the sculptor's deplorability such that it could be seen as having a hidden meaning which is made all the more awkward with the BBC's history.

Since the relatively unknown existence of that statue and it's creator was shattered by the guy making a story out of smashing it up, I suspect it won't take long for it to be completely destroyed and nobody will care. If the BBC wants to preserve it on grounds of artistic significance they'll have to gift it to a museum archive.

Soldato
Since the relatively unknown existence of that statue and it's creator was shattered by the guy making a story out of smashing it up,

not really unknown - raised at the time colston was initially in news, on same crowd voting site for destruction, and it was mentioned earlier in this thread before current vandalism too.

I'm wondering how people spend that amazing 5 hours average a day on their mobile, watching the likes of this multi-millionaire who just won utube top earner of the year, or playing with social media, watching netflix dramas.

I think next time extinction rebellion or blm protestors take to the streets there will be a lot more acrimony (sans covid too) as the majority who dislike their behaviour protest -
more of the by-standers who removed the ER's from the railway train or dragged them off the road, Preti could make a lot of mileage(votes) with laws to fix this.

I haven't seen if the extinction rebellion defence lawyer also used a right side of history lyric.

Soldato
I heard that one of the chaps who worked on building your house got done for noncery some time back, I shall be there forthwith to tear the abomination down.

You'll be defending Jimmy Savile next :eek:

I should have made the point in my previous post that Gill confessed to the crimes in his own diaries. So its not a rumour when the man himself admits it.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
FWIW, a friend in NYC sent me a link from the New York Times about the removal of Teddy Roosevelt’s statue from the front of the Museum of Natural History, on the Upper West Side of Manhattan this week.
Teddy led the “Rough Riders” in a charge up San Juan Heights in Cuba during the Spanish-American War of 1898.
The statue was of Roosevelt on his horse, Texas, with a black guy standing on one side of him and a Native American standing on the other side.
Subsequent to the BLM disturbances the statue was criticised by some as a symbol of colonialism and racism.
The museum requested the statue be removed in June 2020, and the then NYC Mayor, Bill de Blasio approved this.
The statue will be re-sited in North Dakota, in the proposed Theodore Roosevelt Public Library at Medora ND.

Soldato
Why do posters keep saying about buildings being torn down?

A number of buildings in Bristol carried (or carry) Colston's name and no one is suggesting they be demolished. Most have now been re-named however.

Caporegime
tear down all the castles, all the palaces, burn the libraries and purge the internet.

Launch the nukes and let us begin again without the sins of our father and the ghosts of our past.

repent sinner and be cleansed by the atomic flames.

we will rebuild this earth not in our masters image but our own.

Soldato

A number of buildings in Bristol carried (or carry) Colston's name and no one is suggesting they be demolished. Most have now been re-named however.

Because they are either stupid or disingenuous and cannot understand even the most basic of issues beyond binary situations.

Statue of bad man = bad = pull it down =building with bad man name = bad = also pull down!!!

These people are genuinely under the impression that statues are literally the same thing as buildings.

Soldato
tear down all the castles, all the palaces, burn the libraries and purge the internet.

Launch the nukes and let us begin again without the sins of our father and the ghosts of our past.

repent sinner and be cleansed by the atomic flames.

we will rebuild this earth not in our masters image but our own.

I seem to remember they used to burn people at the state for heretical views. We have a new religion now.

Soldato
Degree of hypocrisy in the O'Farrell incident - no one in the room batted an eyelid at what was said - so, they all agree, were too polite, or itss partially true. -
if the twitter brigade are going to austracize him they should do so for whole committee
https://parliamentlive.tv/event/index/13fa9483-cad0-4ce8-8a8a-59b78b263480 11:13

https://www.bordercountiesadvertize...ed-despite-middlesex-chairs-apology-comments/
Middlesex chair Mike O’Farrell issued an apology on Tuesday afternoon after comments he made to the Digital, Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS) select committee were criticised by Rafiq and others.

Caporegime
This is the kind of idiot who learns their history from statues.
so the Battle of britain never happened? we didn't turn the tide and drive back the evil germans?

Britain was literally alone vs the Germans and turned the tide

what he is saying is not exactly wrong merely out of context

are the freedoms of Europe owed to Churchill ? debatable but you can't deny the view point.

Britain was alone as an empire.
Britain started winning.
Germany changed tactics and went after a different target.

Britain could have easily have clocked out and carried on with some peace deal with the Germans I'm 100% convinced.

Russia wouldn't win alone and Europe would be left to the Germans.

His tweet doesn't specify that Britain won the germans or ended ww2, is he talking about the whole war or a small period of it.

Last edited:
Caporegime

This is the kind of idiot who learns their history from statues.

That's kinda funny because all the quote tweets contain people banging on about the Soviets etc.. yet Germany didn't invade Russia till June 1941 after the battle of Britain.

He's talking however about Britain (perhaps more accurately the British empire) alone, "turning the tide"... before the USA and USSR joined the fight against Hitler.

Soldato
That's kinda funny because all the quote tweets contain people banging on about the Soviets etc.. yet Germany didn't invade Russia till June 1941 after the battle of Britain.

He's talking however about Britain (perhaps more accurately the British empire) alone, "turning the tide"... before the USA and USSR joined the fight against Hitler.

Soviets were supplied by Britain and the US, US wouldn't have even been in the fight if it wasn't for Churchill personally getting them involved

Man of Honour
Soviets were supplied by Britain and the US, US wouldn't have even been in the fight if it wasn't for Churchill personally getting them involved

Churchill may have lobbied FDR to help out in Europe, but I have the distinct feeling that Vice-Admiral Chuichi Nagumo ordering 350 planes to attack Pearl Harbour was the spur that got the U.S. involved.

Back
Top Bottom