Tearing down statues

Soldato
Churchill may have lobbied FDR to help out in Europe, but I have the distinct feeling that Vice-Admiral Chuichi Nagumo ordering 350 planes to attack Pearl Harbour was the spur that got the U.S. involved.

They were involved heavily in supplying Britain and the USSR prior to Pearl Harbor through the lend-lease program, they weren't just sat not participating before the official declaration of war

Man of Honour
They were involved heavily in supplying Britain and the USSR prior to Pearl Harbor through the lend-lease program, they weren't just sat not participating before the official declaration of war

I agree with you 100%, I still have a photo of my father at the wheel of his LHD Lease-Lend Mack truck in 1944, complete with white star on the doors, en route from inland of the beachhead toward Caen.
A day later he was wounded and shipped back to U.K. when the truck was strafed by a German plane.
While I agree that the U.S. would have probably supplied materiel to Britain and Russia for ever, it took the impetus of Pearl Harbour on December 7th 1941 to spur them to go to war against Japan which in turn caused Germany to declare war on U.S.A on December 11th 1941.

Back
Top Bottom