Tennis

Doesn't matter she's done the job, she'll be remembered whatever happens.
100%.

She is still an incredible superstar to me, and even if she continues to not recreate what she has done, it won't change my admiration and respect for her.

Obviously I hope she does win more.

I hope she gets another coach that helps her reach her full potential.

Watching her winning the US open will be forever etched into my mind as it was such a special occasion to be a part of.

Soldato
I dont really watch tennis tbh but it does seem that there isn't really any standout dominant female performers since the Williams sisters compared to the men. The woman's games really does seem to be in permanent flux with different winners of tournaments. Maybe folks need to lower their expectations a little?

Should she have gotten rid of her coach who helped her achieve what she was able to or continue to work with the guy?

Soldato
OP
Should she have gotten rid of her coach who helped her achieve what she was able to or continue to work with the guy?

If I understand this correctly, Nigel Sears (her coach at Wimbledon) and Andrew Richardson (her coach at the US Open) were only temporary arrangements, apparently.

Andrew Richardson doesn't/didn't want to be her coach full-time as he wants to stay in the UK and coach his own son, who is one for the future apparently.

Jeremey Bates was temporarily brought in for Indian Wells, but he is committed to Katie Boulter (asaik).

She's had trials with a couple of other coaches since, with Johanna Konta's ex coach being one of them (can't remember his name off the top of my head) but the trials don't seem to have worked out for whatever reason.

I think she shouldn't have taken her foot off the gas for as long as she did after winning the US Open. Take a week off maybe but get straight back to competitive matches as soon as possible. After the US Open win she probably did too much media stuff and Raducanu herself saying that she needed to 'find my tennis' said it all, imo.

One thing I have read in a few places now and heard commentators say is that her father is the one that calls the shots i.e. coaches need to be prepared to work with him as well, which is apparently not easy.

I think she's possibly been badly advised so far, that would be my guess, but just have to see what happens next.

Edit: Just having a quick read about and some media sites are saying that Andrew Richardson was 'axed' but I don't think that's correct. I remember Mark Petchey and Tim Henman (they're all mates) saying at the time that it was only ever going to be a short-term thing.

Last edited:
If I understand this correctly, Nigel Sears (her coach at Wimbledon) and Andrew Richardson (her coach at the US Open) were only temporary arrangements, apparently.

Andrew Richardson doesn't/didn't want to be her coach full-time as he wants to stay in the UK and coach his own son, who is one for the future apparently.

Jeremey Bates was temporarily brought in for Indian Wells, but he is committed to Katie Boulter (asaik).

She's had trials with a couple of other coaches since, with Johanna Konta's ex coach being one of them (can't remember his name off the top of my head) but the trials don't seem to have worked out for whatever reason.

I think she shouldn't have taken her foot off the gas for as long as she did after winning the US Open. Take a week off maybe but get straight back to competitive matches as soon as possible. After the US Open win she probably did too much media stuff and Raducanu herself saying that she needed to 'find my tennis' said it all, imo.

One thing I have read in a few places now and heard commentators say is that her father is the one that calls the shots i.e. coaches need to be prepared to work with him as well, which is apparently not easy.

I think she's possibly been badly advised so far, that would be my guess, but just have to see what happens next.

Edit: Just having a quick read about and some media sites are saying that Andrew Richardson was 'axed' but I don't think that's correct. I remember Mark Petchey and Tim Henman (they're all mates) saying at the time that it was only ever going to be a short-term thing.
That was what I thought happened too with her coach.

He was wanting to choose to coach his own son, rather than Emma got rid of him.

Looks like her next match is in Austria in a week's time, so maybe she'll sort a coach out before then... https://www.ladieslinz.at/en/news/p...e_strong_competition_for_title/index_eng.html

It's the Paris Masters next week, for the gents, draw here... https://www.atptour.com/en/scores/current/paris/352/draws
I think all this losing is perhaps good for her in a way.

Character building.

Shows herself that although she is amazing for winning the US open, she is not invincible and has room for growth.

Associate
Was interesting watch Alcaraz completely melt down when 5-0 up in the 2nd set. He's been surprisingly strong mentally for such a young player but it really seemed to get to him. Still maintain he's going to be the next megastar regardless.

Permabanned
Djokovic won his a record 37th Masters 1000 ATP Tour title.

Well, there is still hope for a 21st Grand Slam sometime next year.

If he pulls out of the Australian Open 2022 because he is not vaccinated, would be super silly, though.

But, anything could be expected from him.

Permabanned
So he's over taken both Nadal and Federer!

Impressive.

I don't think it's all that impressive.
Cause most of the time he was the leader in that particular race with most Masters 1000 titles.

People are talking about overall Grand Slams where his record is absolutely shared with both Federer and Nadal - equal 20.

So, there would always be an argument and discussions about who is the GOAT.

If he wins a 21st Grand Slam, that doubt would be put to rest.

Back
Top Bottom