Terminator: Dark Fate

Soldato
Where exactly was Edward Furlong? He was said to have a small role in this but unless i blinked and missed it it never seemed to appear. Unless he was just reading lines for the brief John Connor sequence which they changed the pitch on to make him sound younger, those lines just went into background noise anyway with the Sarah Voiceover.

I'm pretty sure he dies within the first minute or two of the movie.

Caporegime
OP
It's young Furlongs CGI'd face

It probably is (though the kid playing the body double looks pretty much identical to him anyway), though he did say he had a small role. I doubt they would need to bring him in to use his face as it would probably be easier to do it via older images of him (he's still pretty rough looking). I think his role was more of a speaking role as Connor is talking to someone at the bar but you can barely hear it over the voiceover.

Soldato
I struggled with the movie.

I didn't like the fact John Connor was throw-away. I liked the 'redemption' thing with the T800 but I didn't like how it was played out. I could go on for quite a while to be honest.

Suffice it to say it's another weak Terminator movie in my opinion.

5 out of 10.

Soldato
Just got back from 4dx showing, first film that's made use of it all the way through even for the little parts rather than using it only for the action set pieces.

I liked it felt like it could have the title of T3 compared to the last few films that have had the Terminator name, this one actually felt like the first two.

Caporegime
OP
Just got back from 4dx showing, first film that's made use of it all the way through even for the little parts rather than using it only for the action set pieces.

I liked it felt like it could have the title of T3 compared to the last few films that have had the Terminator name, this one actually felt like the first two.

It pretty much is t3 as they've said the others don't count in the timeline.

V F

V F

Soldato
I struggled with the movie.

I didn't like the fact John Connor was throw-away. I liked the 'redemption' thing with the T800 but I didn't like how it was played out. I could go on for quite a while to be honest.

Suffice it to say it's another weak Terminator movie in my opinion.

5 out of 10.

That's depressing. Feels like there is never going to be another great Terminator film again.

Soldato
2ell u surprisingly really enjoyed it.

It certainly felt more like an actually terminator movie, having Hamilton back and also the look and feel of the film and action scenes was great.

Glad it pushes the other 3 movies out of the timeline and ignores them.

Caporegime
I seem to be the opposite to most, I enjoyed the movie up to the point Arnie came back in.

I didn't read any of the spoilers people were posting here months in advance of the movie coming out, so I went in fresh other than having seen both trailers.

I thought the Terminator growing a concious after killing John was ludicrous. I know they have neural net processors that can learn, and they can't self-terminate, but the whole "I saw this guy beating his wife and protected them" was just bad screenwriting.

And with Cyberdine blown up in 1991, Skynet would have been defeated, so who sent a T800 terminator back after that to kill John in that bar anyway?

Didn't think the Terminator boring people with anecdotes about putting up drapes was funny either.

And why does Sarah have somebody high up in the military giving her EMP's? I thought that might have been Myles Dysons son but I didn't catch his name.

Caporegime
OP
And with Cyberdine blown up in 1991, Skynet would have been defeated, so who sent a T800 terminator back after that anyway?

Better yet, how did the Terminator in the original movie exist at all as it wasn't until AFTER the events of that move that Cyberdyne found the parts and started to reverse engineer them to create the machines in the first place.

You can drive trucks through some of the time travel points in these movies but it's important to remember they have existed since the very first film.

It's funny to see ign give it a good review yet still bang on about the t1000 effects in T2 being superior, as if nothing has progressed in 30 years since they were done. Plenty of the t1k effects in t2 look hokey, colour matching in some shots is off with practical vs cg shots for the liquid metal, bullet impacts in one scene are 3d props on the uniform yet appear 2d in other shots but somehow that's overlooked.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Just saw it.

5/10

I mean i was expecting pure garbage but it was just about OK.

It felt a bit like T2, the action sequences were pretty good but I didnt think i was watching anything New at all.

I would have much rather had 15 mins more of 2048 Future war than Arnie telling jokes about raising babies, cuirtains and stupid things.

Caporegime
Just saw it.

5/10

I mean i was expecting pure garbage but it was just about OK.

It felt a bit like T2, the action sequences were pretty good but I didnt think i was watching anything New at all.

I would have much rather had 15 mins more of 2048 Future war than Arnie telling jokes about raising babies, cuirtains and stupid things.
I feel like everyone wants a proper future war movie and sod the time travel.

Soldato
SO....

Once again we now have TWO terminators sitting at the bottom of a warehouse jsut asking to be picked up for the creation of the new Skynet, why cant they ever clean that part of the story line up.
Also, its basically trying to do the "chase" theme again, its been done, in T1 and in T2..T2 being the bar set for ALL action films. I would have preferred that the film perhaps made the transition from the "new leader" to the war. The opening had me really exctied, all the original sounds colours. I miss the blue hue over everything that involves the machines giving off a coldness to there characters. I cant help but think it woudl have been fun to find Arni in a warehouse or soemthing, gathering dust as it had nothing else to do. Sarah being abale to pull out the CPU and hotwire Arnie to be the good guy again or something. Perhaps showing a time paradox that in the future thats how they know that terminators can be reprogrammed etc.
Or even a small furture war about a small squad capturing the original Terminator to send it back in time, ( think Saving Private Ryan..only looking for a terminator kinda story layout).

Soldato
I went in with very low expectations and came away really enjoying it. I bet i'd have liked it more if I hadn't watched the trailers practically show me the whole film, my fault :(

I was sat there just going "that was pretty good", "mmm, that had me breathless" to then "I haven't enjoyed a Terminator film this much since T2", then I realised it's actually not bad at all. It helps that I really rate Mackenzie Davis after watching Halt and Catch Fire and her tiny role in BR2049, and Linda Hamilton really was good and didn't just phone it in.

And with Cyberdine blown up in 1991, Skynet would have been defeated, so who sent a T800 terminator back after that to kill John in that bar anyway?

As far as I could tell this was explained in the film by Sarah, there were multiple T800s sent back to kill Jon all at different points in time, it was always going to kill him even after they stopped Skynet.

Caporegime
OP
As far as I could tell this was explained in the film by Sarah, there were multiple T800s sent back to kill Jon all at different points in time, it was always going to kill him even after they stopped Skynet.

Yup, several were sent back which answers a criticism of "why do they only send back one terminator every time".

Back
Top Bottom