Terminator: Dark Fate

Soldato
I went in with very low expectations and came away really enjoying it. I bet i'd have liked it more if I hadn't watched the trailers practically show me the whole film, my fault :(

I was sat there just going "that was pretty good", "mmm, that had me breathless" to then "I haven't enjoyed a Terminator film this much since T2", then I realised it's actually not bad at all. It helps that I really rate Mackenzie Davis after watching Halt and Catch Fire and her tiny role in BR2049, and Linda Hamilton really was good and didn't just phone it in.

This was my reaction - wasn't expecting much and came away pleasantly surprised!

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Might give this a go on the weekend. Not been Cinema this year yet as nothing excites easily me anymore sadly, been a poor year releases for me.

Associate
Not good, not good at all. The annoying thing is there is some semblance of hope in the very first few mins, and continues on pleasantly diverting enough for 30mins or so. By pleasantly diverting, I mean it at least tries to add something to the irritating tendency it has to riff off the first two films and hope nobody notices.
Never rises above middling in that time, but keeps the eye rolling to a minimum. After that, it just goes full on average to poor, and as a companion to the original and T2, tediously derivative and contrived. Some of the dialogue is just cringeworthy, a lot of it chewed and spat onto the screen by Hamilton, who seems to only exist for a snappy comeback bar one or two moments of the old Sarah Connor coming through.
Mackenzie Davis is alright, but nothing special is gonna come from her character's development - enough with the flashbacks (or flashfowards for us), and while Luna's Rev9 appears lethal, it's a poor man's T-1000, that never seems to carry menace with its apparent lethality. Arnie in the background does what he has to do, but the manner of his T-800's involvement in this timeline is awful, and seriously begs the question of what the creators where smoking when they were tasked with bringing the big man back into the project.

It might seem like I'm being overly hard on it, but I'm a bit fed up with hearing the usual 'best one since T2' which will no doubt feature on the marketing for the home release, so it gets an extra kicking. Disappointing, even with guarded expectations

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Don't get why they are unable to make a good Terminator movie anymore. Maybe the issue is instead of worrying about what makes a good Terminator movie in general they have a checklist of things they must and must not do in 2019 that gets in the way. Like must be funny, must appeal to this crowd or that crowd etc. Annoying. Just make a good movie and people will come, stop trying to appeal to certain groups ffs.

Bit like in Star Trek: Discovery. That Tilly character is so annoying and out of place...

Decided to give this a miss. I guess 2019 will be the year I do not go to cinema at all, as I am in no rush to watch the Star Wars movie either which does not live up to Star Wars 1-6. Horrible casting imo, not that the script is any good.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Personally I enjoyed Salvation.

My favourite in order were ;

T1,T2 and salvation.
T1 & T2 were in another league. The rest are just disappointing relative to them for me.

As I have mentioned before, these directors/producers try and apeal to as many people as they can and the movies script and shooting suffer for it imo. Why is it so hard to them to go back and look at what made the originals a success and stick to that? I hate all these forced jokes, characters and lines.

Not watches Dark Fate yet, will be this weekend so will see how it goes, but I am going in with very low expectations which usually helps.

Soldato
It used to be the case that to get a blockbuster film made in Hollywood, you had to be able to sell it to the money men with a high concept. The concepts were pretty simple eg. "A robot comes from the future to kill a woman who will give birth to the saviour of mankind" or "a robot comes from the future to save a woman and her child from another better robot so the end of the world won't happen". Pretty straight forward, eh?

Now try the same thing with these sequels like Salvation or Dark Fate, and it's kind of a big mess. The films themselves reflect that.

Associate
T3 was very different style wise to the rest of the other films and it shows, but it works to its own advantages and ultimately makes up for the style change with THAT ending. And I forgave T3 and enjoyed it precisely because of the ending alone. But I can certainly see how it won't be for everyones tastes and of course, the overall package probably weighs it down in many viewers eyes despite the ending. But I'd put T3 on a pedestal compared to Genysys and Dark Fate.

Soldato
Personally I enjoyed Salvation.

My favourite in order were ;

T1,T2 and salvation.

I think the bigger issue is that it's all got a bit messy. Salvation was not in the same timeline at T1/T2 (or was it), Genisys was, but now we are told to ignore it. No idea about T3.

I haven't got a clue what's going on.

Caporegime
OP
Salvation was not in the same timeline at T1/T2 (or was it),

It was, Salvation basically played on from the end of t3 with the nuclear war starting. But their big mistake with that movie was they focused on the early war against the machines which was absolutely nothing like the flashback scenes that people expected to see finally fully fleshed out. It just felt like a big empty sand pit with nothing much going on.

Soldato
It was, Salvation basically played on from the end of t3 with the nuclear war starting. But their big mistake with that movie was they focused on the early war against the machines which was absolutely nothing like the flashback scenes that people expected to see finally fully fleshed out. It just felt like a big empty sand pit with nothing much going on.
apart from that big massive robot that somehow managed to sneak up on them in the garage:p. I quite liked the future bits of genisys.

Caporegime
OP
apart from that big massive robot that somehow managed to sneak up on them in the garage:p. I quite liked the future bits of genisys.

And the transport that it was on, it must have had tip top mode, that would have made for a funny visual of it creeping up on tip toes. :D

The future parts of genisys were pretty good, as was the rendition of the young Arnold. Salvation had a $200 million budget and its mainly empty space, think the bulk of that budget went up the casts noses.

Soldato
I quite liked the future bits of genisys.

My only issue with those future war parts is that, compared to the scenes from T1, everything is "clean" - the troops are clean shaven, the uniforms aren't dirty and ripped, the troops all look well fed and big muscled and no-one looks scared out of their mind. Compare that to the lean, dirty "rag-tag" fighters from the T1 future scenes and I know which I "believe" in more!

Associate
Despite my GF not liking and not agreeing with me that T3 fits in the lore, I honestly think when it was released it made sense from the standpoint that it still carries on after the events of T2. She mainly didn't like it because they "killed" off Sarah Connors and the whole female T-X wasn't menacing enough.
Now that T3 is getting "wiped" off the timeline because of Dark Fate..well if I don't like Dark Fate then i'm going back to fitting in T3 back in the equation.

Soldato
See, I thought TX was excellent. Kristanna played it amazingly cold and emotionless except when trying to fool humans, and was all the more scary for it, unlike Arnold who can't resist making comedic quips or expressions. Even when she was getting pulled apart by the big electromagnet/whatever she was just silent and locked on her target w/ no emotion at all. The CG spoiled it all at the end by turning her into some ridiculous snarling and spitting thing though.

Soldato
See, I thought TX was excellent. Kristanna played it amazingly cold and emotionless except when trying to fool humans, and was all the more scary for it, unlike Arnold who can't resist making comedic quips or expressions. Even when she was getting pulled apart by the big electromagnet/whatever she was just silent and locked on her target w/ no emotion at all. The CG spoiled it all at the end by turning her into some ridiculous snarling and spitting thing though.
The CG or Arnies half exposed face coming out of the chopper is still one of the best ive seen.

Back
Top Bottom