Terry Pratchett dies :(

Soldato
Just to qualify what some people are saying.
Although there is nothing to suggest, and indeed a clear statement that he did, die of natural causes, at home with his family around him, and that in the past year his health deteriorated very rapidly.
There can exist a situation where a person can die and not require assisted suicide, they can simply commit suicide. The assisted bit applies to those unable to administer drugs to kill themselves, there is nothing to stop someone in stages of dimentia just killing themselves at a time they find convieient and appropriate.

Not remotely suggesting that is what happened here. Just wondering why everyone immediately started asking regarding assisted suicide which in the case of dimentia is most unlikely to apply, as perversely in the latter stages a person cannot conscent to an assisted suicide, and conscent can't be carried forward over a number of years of decline.

Any assist in end stage would be termed murder, even in switzerland at dignitas.

I loved his character of death, my favourite.

Associate
Gutted - read my first discworld book at 16 and every one of them that's followed. As others have said, his wisdom has been a major influence on me. All I can really say is "ook".

Soldato
His books helped me through some bad times and through them, I met a ton of great friends and more importantly, my partner.
I've been active in the Discworld community at events for the past 11 or so years and have had the privilege to know him on a more personal level than most people get the chance to.

I'm going to the Irish Convention in October and the annual Hogswatch event in Wincanton at the end of November. I don't know how its going to go now but it will carry on. Got to give 'em a show as Moist once said.

Although it was expected, its still hit me quite hard. He's left an incredible legacy and it will go on through various media which is wonderful.

You will be missed.....

Associate
Sad news, a great writer (anyone who thinks he 'just' wrote fantasy is wrong, they're multilayered masterpieces).

Fingers crossed for the Guards TV series, hopefully it'll be better than the half-arsed attempts by Sky to make movies of some of his works.

Back
Top Bottom