**Tesco value tablet - The Hudl**

Associate
Went into Tesco again today and had a better look at the Hudl. The hardware side looked good and the screen was impressive, just a shame both devices had completely locked up so I couldn't test out the performance.

Soldato
ICo-Pilot is the most customisable. You can set your own road speeds etc to optimise routing to your driving style. It uses Android's native TTS though and this is nowhere near as good as Sygic, Tomtom or Navigon.

Going even farther OT....

I use Co-Pilot with Ivona TTS, it sounds very natural

*and real time traffic updates.....I only find they tell me the length of the jam I've been stuck in for the last 15 mins :mad:

Soldato
Been reading on Twitter today a LOT that units had frozen in Tesco stores and couldn't be power cycled(I'm guessing that means hard reset).
@PaulOBrien @modaco Also tried to get more information from the display units but both couldn’t be power cycled from a frozen state
@PaulOBrien hmm...in Tesco yesterday they had 2 demo units, both crashed and couldn't be power cycled
@PaulOBrien tried to have a play last night but the two in my local had both hung.

Associate
Surely it will be possible to load something like CM or something pretty soon on these devices, so that will take care of both getting updates to latest Android OS and get rid of any kind of Tesco bloat.

Associate
It should offer better performance than the 2012 Nexus 7, let's see if Tesco/Archos/Rockchip deliver top software support.

No it won't, these Rockchip/budget SoC's are not as efficient so the CPU will probably perform a little worse or on par.

Also the Mali 400 GPU is not the same as the one in the Galaxy S2 or the S3 so expect performance again worse than the Geforce ULP GPU in Tegra 3.

Rockchip is still good for the price, but never mistake it for anything other then a ultra budget SoC.

Associate
Well, I spent my ClubCard vouchers on a Hudl and picked it up today. I've not had much of a play so far, but the screen really is impressive.
a0eq.jpg

If anyone wants me to run any benchmarks, etc. then just shout out and I'll do my best to get you some results.

Associate
Nice I went to my local store but they didn't have any other than the display ones, have to agree with you on the screen it was indeed very nice.

I had Monday off work and was tempted to pop into Tesco and see if they had any, but checking on HDUK I saw that people were struggling to find any in store. I ordered on-line from Tesco Direct (less hassle with vouchers) and it was ready for collection from the store near to my work at lunch time today.

First negative point found: The speakers are quiet, so you'd want headphones for watching TV/Films or listening to music.

edit: The speakers are decent enough in a quiet environment, but when I tried with the telly on showing the football then the Hudl couldn't compete with that volume.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Had a play with one today and Tesco/Archos nailed it. Hopefully there wont be any issues.

No it won't, these Rockchip/budget SoC's are not as efficient so the CPU will probably perform a little worse or on par.

Also the Mali 400 GPU is not the same as the one in the Galaxy S2 or the S3 so expect performance again worse than the Geforce ULP GPU in Tegra 3.

Rockchip is still good for the price, but never mistake it for anything other then a ultra budget SoC.

Huh? Tegra 3 (T30L) is the cost cut 40nm, single channel, 1.2Ghz binned part. This is a fairly stock 28nm HKMG ARM cortex A9 SoC. :)
Oh it gets almost identical or better GPU performance to Exynos 4 quad in the note 2, a tad faster than the 2012 Nexus 7.

Associate
Can anyone give me info on what the touchscreen is like.. all the videos I've watched people seem to struggle to click on things and scroll with their fingers

Associate
The only issue I've had with the touch are hitting the Android soft-keys at the bottom of the screen, but I think that is more a case of me being a bit cack-handed and pressing the screen surround rather than an issue with the touch detection.

Back
Top Bottom