Tesco's USA sweet goodies!

Caporegime
Some great American stuff that I just can't get in Cambridge. Root beer, proper american pancakes and Aunt jemimas maple sryup. Yum.

how much is aunt jemimas maple syrup?

Asda sell an uber cheap maple syrup on their normal shelves that is made in "manufactured in canada" like all good maple syrup should be.

Associate
Re: Mountain Dew - the US version (MTN Dew) uses high-fructose corn syrup as the sweetener which differs from the regular sugar used in other varieties such as the UK's Mountain Dew Energy. Other than that I'm not aware of any recipe differences but I still think the US/Imported version tastes better.

US dew also has tartrazine and orange juice in it!

Caporegime
how much is aunt jemimas maple syrup?

Asda sell an uber cheap maple syrup on their normal shelves that is made in "manufactured in canada" like all good maple syrup should be.

I remember getting it for $1.49 when I was able to shop on Lakenheath, and thats heavily subsidised so probably $3 or £3-4?

Soldato
OP
If anyone missed my post about root beer earlier, my store has Boylan's cane sugar root beer 335ml bottles for £1.50.

I remember getting it for $1.49 when I was able to shop on Lakenheath, and thats heavily subsidised so probably $3 or £3-4?

£6. :(

the chemical that makes herseys taste like vomit, is actually the same chemical that is in vomit. They basically use rancid milk to make the chocolate.

I was reading this thread the other day, it's quite interesting http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1039116

Someone said "I remember hearing that when chocolate was first sent over to the states from europe that it took so long the milk in the chocolate went off and it tasted bad (like hershey's does to me - i live in the UK). Since they didn't know any different they started making chocolate to taste the same as when they first had it (with the gone off milk). Can't find any info on this atm but i think i read it in the Times last year."

POB

POB

Soldato
You're in Bristol aren't you? If so go to the chinese supermarket behind Ikea for that.

I tried that store the other week, they had this (£0.85):

WP_000018.jpg

But no American style stuff. This one was not great too sweet and less strong then some. They might just be out of the other brands though.

Last edited:
Soldato
US dew also has tartrazine and orange juice in it!
It's also got brominated vegetable oil, which is the ingredient the EU have banned and why Pepsico will not allow the importation or sale of it in this country.

Trading Standards don't much care for it either.

Associate
Wow, Tesco have got an amazing section on their world foods aisle. Tons of stuff from america that you could previously only get from certain department stores like Fenwicks. And guess what? They've got Lucky Charms cereal and it's £5 a box, cheaper than ebay. I want to try them and also a Baby Ruth chocolate bar since it's very famous.:)

Also I'm tempted by the quaker cinnamon and spice grits. Anyone tried grits? Is it nice, similar to porridge?

Which branch of Tesco?

Associate
Re: Mountain Dew - the US version (MTN Dew) uses high-fructose corn syrup as the sweetener which differs from the regular sugar used in other varieties such as the UK's Mountain Dew Energy. Other than that I'm not aware of any recipe differences but I still think the US/Imported version tastes better.
Bromolated oil (sp) the EU frowns upon it, you can get mountain dew throwback over here which exactly the same as regular mtn dew just with sugar instead of
hfcs...

Associate
The Tesco in Ashford caters for Polaks and other eastern Europeans unfortunately, there must be a high number of Yanks living in Finchley Central, be nice if my one had this - as it'd please my Yank girlfriend no-end, as whenver we come back we always end up with half a suitcase filled with random bits and bobs.

Back
Top Bottom