Tesco's USA sweet goodies!

Soldato
I get the impression from this thread that peanut butter is very popular in the US :D.

I think i'm going to have to get some poptarts tomorrow. Not had them for ages.

Soldato
OP
Got to agree with the Herschey's comments...that stuff is vile. And grits? Who in their right mind is going to buy them over here?

Stuck in a Greyhound bus in the states, I decided to "treat" myself to an individual Hostess Cherry Pie from one of the many truck stops. The ingredient list was quite illuminating:
Corn flour
Corn starch
Corn sugar
Corn fructose
Corn oil
The whole thing seemed to be constructed entirely from corn - the one thing that wasn't mentioned at all was...cherries!

Lol. So what was the corn based pastry like compared to a good old english cherry pie?

I get the impression from this thread that peanut butter is very popular in the US :D.

I think i'm going to have to get some poptarts tomorrow. Not had them for ages.

Yeah, americans do seem to have a staple diet of corn products and peanut butter. There's a few varieties of peanut butter at tesco, including JIF peanut butter, Smuckers Goober Grape And Peanut Butter Spread, and Smuckers Goober Strawberry And Peanut Butter Spread. I guess it means it's.. peanut butter jelly time! :D

Associate
Lol. So what was the corn based pastry like compared to a good old english cherry pie?

Like most of their products with an unlimited shelf-life (Twinkies, Ding Dongs), it was pretty horrendous. A cement-like casing of pastry surrounding a gloop of bright red chemical substitute for cherries. The whole thing had been liberally dipped in sugar, possibly to disguise the abundance of corn. Unfortunately this intense sugar hit (almost a third of each 120g pie consisted entirely of sugar) did little to hide the cloying taste of each mouthful.

Other dubious ingredients that I can recall from the packaging included locust bean, soy beans, canola oil, beef fat and a completely new one to me - cottonseed. This probably explains why it felt like I was trying to chew through my shirt. Halfway through this exercise in masticatory futility, I gave up, and tossed it out of the bus window.

Soldato
I don't know, i've tried a lot of this American food and I think it's over hyped. People were raving about Oreos, tried them and they tasted really plain. Same with Twinkies, taste like really cheap Swiss rolls with a glue-like filling.

it's probably just me though but I much prefer our U.K based sweet stuff.

Soldato
Oreos are one American food i really do like. Shame they are so expensive though, I only buy them when they're on offer for 50p a pack.

Does anyone know if they taste the same as the American ones? Says they're made in the UK, so wouldn't be surprised if they use different ingredients.

Soldato
OP
Oreos are awesome. Many brits swear by custard creams over Oreos, but Oreos are much nicer and much crisper. I tried a pack of double stuff Oreos but frankly, didn't think they were better than the normal ones.

Soldato
Anybody apart from the Op actually found these by the way? Tesco occasionally only use certain stores to trial things, perhaps the Op is just lucky!

Oh and the reason the UK Mountain Dew tastes different is because you can't use Corn Syrup over here which is the main difference in taste. The reason it's called Mountain Dew Energy is it legally has to be called an energy drink due to the high caffeine content. So it's perfectly legal to import Mountain Dew but not make it to the proper recipe :(

Back
Top Bottom