Tesla Model X P100D

Soldato
LOL! Do you think normal cars with buttons have some sort of mechanical linkage to the function they control?! If in the highly improbable situation that a button stops responding you’re in the same position irrespective of whether it’s on a touchscreen or it’s a physical button. Duh.
you obviously missed the point where he said everything is controlled by the pad, so if that goes off, EVERYTHING goes off. if one button goes off in a normal car, you lose that feature only, or do you think one button in a regular car controls everything? Duh.

Soldato
I’d wager a fair amount that the majority of drivers have to look for a button rather than find it by memory when driving. Very rarely can I locate a button precisely and be sure it’s the correct one I want while driving without glancing to confirm so.

E.g. I have a row of about 10 buttons for seat heating / rear windscreen / suspension / exhaust (can’t even remember what they all are actually!) and I would never be able to confidently press one without looking and be comfortable that I’ve got the correct one. I think seat heating are the two outside edge ones and the exhaust is the 2nd in from the right as an example.

Physical buttons ARE easier but the benefit is by far exaggerated.

Soldato
you obviously missed the point where he said everything is controlled by the pad, so if that goes off, EVERYTHING goes off. if one button goes off in a normal car, you lose that feature only, or do you think one button in a regular car controls everything? Duh.

That doesn’t appear to be his point but ok I’ll answer that.

When have you EVER had a car infotainment screen not work? These things literally never happen. The scenario suggested is literally the same as saying “what if the ECU in any car suddenly stops working”.

He was suggesting that “the car would be bricked”... which doesn’t make any sense at all. In the highly improbable situation that the screen stopped responding the car would still function. I would also imagine that unless you have purposively disabled the lights / wipers etc they would also continue to function within their automatic parameters. Everything else would be akin to an ICE car having a similar failure (albeit on less annoying scale if we’re talking one button vs all infotainment controls).

The fanatical distrust of Tesla cars is bonkers and sadly just seems to stem from people who can’t afford them or are scared of progress.

I’d start boycotting all the German manufacturers as well then as they’re shifting to fully digital screens now.

Last edited:
Caporegime

When have you EVER had a car infotainment screen not work? These things literally never happen. The scenario suggested is literally the same as saying “what if the ECU in any car suddenly stops working”.

4 years back when the firmware crashed on my VW CC system and only a hard reset and firmware update would fix it, i had hard buttons to use but all the information as to what you are doing is displayed on the screen (which now didn't work).

Soldato
Although the technology is pretty amazing I think Hydrogen will eventually be the next generation fuel to power our motor vehicles.

The problem with electric tech is all the resources needed to build the car and battery system. The impact on the environment will be huge especially with the fact that lithium is a finite resource.

It's well known that hydrogen will be adopted in heavy in transport primarily as battery tech may develop quickly enough to negate the need for hydrogen in passenger cars. As for Lithium there's plenty of it (we've processed less than 1% so far) and it was the rarer elements like Cobalt that are more harmful to extract but those should also be reduced or removed from the picture as batteries develop.

EVs tend to have more impact when manufactured but are less so over the life of the vehicle compared to ICE.

As for the screens they can be well done in an interior. Personally I prefer the mix in the i3 and would have to spend some time in a model 3 for example to be convinced it's at least as practical but then I'd also adapt if there are other traits to offset that. I live with an ~80 mile range for example and have no problem with that currently.

Last edited:
Soldato

He was suggesting that “the car would be bricked”... which doesn’t make any sense at all. In the highly improbable situation that the screen stopped responding the car would still function. I would also imagine that unless you have purposively disabled the lights / wipers etc they would also continue to function within their automatic parameters. Everything else would be akin to an ICE car having a similar failure (albeit on less annoying scale if we’re talking one button vs all infotainment controls).

The fanatical distrust of Tesla cars is bonkers and sadly just seems to stem from people who can’t afford them or are scared of progress.

I’d start boycotting all the German manufacturers as well then as they’re shifting to fully digital screens now.

Yes they do break and it's not even that rare of an occurrence, the one in my own car had to be replaced at 3 years old. Luckily it doesn't control everything inside the car so I didn't freeze to death in winter and could adjust my seat.

ECUs are very low powered and are ultra reliable, they are also relatively cheap. It isn't a mini PC built in to the dash, generating lots of heat with lots to go wrong. Let alone an expensive touchscreen.

Last edited:
Soldato
When have you EVER had a car infotainment screen not work? These things literally never happen.

I had the screen fail 4 times in my F10 BMW. It meant that I couldn’t see the nav but luckily I still had buttons for seats/light etc.

I also now have a brand new A6 and the use of screens vs buttons is much harder to operate whilst driving.

I’m just speaking from experience.

Soldato
yes. my mmi has locked up on my twice now. twice in 8 years, but it can and does happen.

Soldato
Comments are unsuprising.

All Tesla’s look like “generic car from game 5” where they didn’t buy the license to feature actual cars. I’m thinking early GTA titles.

Absolutely no appeal visually imo.

Last edited:
Soldato
When have you EVER had a car infotainment screen not work? These things literally never happen.
Quite a few times to the point where it's needed me to turn the car off and on again to fix it. BMW E46, my E60 530i crashed a few times, even my Honda CR-V has done. Luckily it's only navigation and audio that is affected.

Literally go and try this - if you literally type in "Tesla screen" into the Google textbox then 'frozen' literally appears as the second suggestion for next words, with literally loads of threads if you literally search for it. Other top 10 options in the suggested word list are 'Tesla screen black', 'reboot' and 'not working' so it doesn't look that reliable to me.

Last edited:
Soldato
Never had any infotainment issues with Mercedes / Toyota / Porsche... can’t say I’m surprised that BMW are awful.

Can’t wait for my Tesla, going to waft past all of the ICE peasants whilst enjoying my spacious and relaxing interior, safe in the knowledge that everyone is desperately trying to find fault with the better technology to justify their outdated mode of transport.

Soldato
Quite a few times to the point where it's needed me to turn the car off and on again to fix it. BMW E46, my E60 530i crashed a few times, even my Honda CR-V has done. Luckily it's only navigation and audio that is affected.

Literally go and try this - if you literally type in "Tesla screen" into the Google textbox then 'frozen' literally appears as the second suggestion for next words, with literally loads of threads if you literally search for it. Other top 10 options in the suggested word list are 'Tesla screen black', 'reboot' and 'not working' so it doesn't look that reliable to me.

Which is the same for iPhone actually. Doesn’t mean everyone’s iPhones freeze and break all the time. He who shouts loudest is often the most heard!

Also on google, “BMW are....”

Unreliable is the 1st suggestion!

Soldato
Which is the same for iPhone actually. Doesn’t mean everyone’s iPhones freeze and break all the time. He who shouts loudest is often the most heard!

Also on google, “BMW are....”

Unreliable is the 1st suggestion!
If you search for "BMW screen" then only one of the top 10 suggestions (in the middle) relates to unreliability, and boy are they unreliable. The fact Tesla have so many more negative suggestions and higher up in the list tells me there is a bigger problem. I imagine because it's exactly because when you lose the screen, you lose everything.

But anyway, to go back to your point, I was just proving that this issue literally DOES happen.

Soldato
Forget the screen. It’s the electronic door latch release that baffles me in the model 3! Seems one fatality after a crash was the occupants burning to death as they couldn’t open their door and not familiar with the hidden mechanical backup release.

Soldato
Forget the screen. It’s the electronic door latch release that baffles me in the model 3! Seems one fatality after a crash was the occupants burning to death as they couldn’t open their door and not familiar with the hidden mechanical backup release.

That was a model S iirc.

Also, considering they’re some of the highest rated cars for crash safety this is once again an example of the bias media scrutiny of Tesla.

But like how sites like carscoops seems to focus on how every car that spins out and crashes at a car meet is a mustang!

Soldato
That was a model S iirc.

Also, considering they’re some of the highest rated cars for crash safety this is once again an example of the bias media scrutiny of Tesla.

Euro NCAP testing doesnt take in to account components that fail. The wiring looms on rear doors of my workhorse Zafira B are notorious for failing and locking occupants inside the car. Try and find that in its ncap report.

Man of Honour
They are so dull to look at. Inside while the screen is cool, they just look boring, lacking any character.

As mentioned earlier, the Jaguar and Mercedes equivalents are starting to make these look less and less appealing as for the money they charge, it just doesn't match up. Sure they are impressive from a technological standpoint, but I think sitting in that interior would bore me to death after a while, and it wouldn't get much better having to get and look back at it after you get home.

Back
Top Bottom