Tesla Model Y

Associate
Curious, for those that have / have ordered a Model Y, if Tesla had already opened up the supercharger network to all manufacturers, would you have considered something else (Ioniq 5, etc) or still have gone for the Y?

It was a close call between the Kia EV6 and Model Y. In the end I went with Model Y because of the extra space, 'open' airy interior and supercharger network but felt that the built quality was better on the EV6. I will also miss apple carplay. Cost was exactly the same on the company car scheme at £515/month inc insurance and maintenance.

Soldato
Curious, for those that have / have ordered a Model Y, if Tesla had already opened up the supercharger network to all manufacturers, would you have considered something else (Ioniq 5, etc) or still have gone for the Y?

I wanted something German, but nothing compares at the moment.

Having said that, 2 sleeps to go :D

Soldato
I should pre-face this by saying I haven't ordered either buy I am a recent Model 3 buyer and seriously considered both at the time of buying.

If I was looking today and considering the two cars as they stand today, I'd still take the Tesla. I just think it offers a (slightly) better package overall.

Ironically, even if the Supercharger network was opened up tomorrow, the EV6/Ionic V can't use it at the moment. Owners where it is open report that the cars fail to handshake with superchargers. Also issues with really inconsistent rapid charging speeds and the lack of battery pre-conditioning that owners are reporting would really put me off and that's one thing Tesla seems to get spot on.

Soldato
Ironically, even if the Supercharger network was opened up tomorrow, the EV6/Ionic V can't use it at the moment. Owners where it is open report that the cars fail to handshake with superchargers. Also issues with really inconsistent rapid charging speeds and the lack of battery pre-conditioning that owners are reporting would really put me off and that's one thing Tesla seems to get spot on.
but won't the ev6 be charging much faster on 800V chargers - but maybe that charger network is not growing fast ?

Soldato
but won't the ev6 be charging much faster on 800V chargers - but maybe that charger network is not growing fast ?

Sort of, in terms of KW rate, yes, but the Tesla has more real world range and is a lot more efficient so in reality there is very little in it.

Likewise, there just aren't that many 350kw chargers around and see my point about inconsistent charging speeds, that's specifically rapid charging.

Soldato

Ordered based on the following personal circumstances:

Ridiculous trade in offer for my M3 SR+
More space than current M3 - need space for the dog as wife has got a smaller car recently
coming up to just short of 3 years on M3 - warranty issues potentially then start become expensive so new car resets the clock.
SR+ to MY LR - large range increase for me.

Supercharging network isn't a priority for me - Used it sparing over last 2.5 years here and there - Opening it up at this time doesn't bother/impact me directly

Regards opening it up - It will be limited sites if/when it does. It won't be a free for all as a lot of Supercharger sites are still 6/8 bays and only V2's.

Looked at other options KIA etc - but loved my M3 and don't see any reason to move away from Tesla at this time

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

The wife and I test drove the Audi Q4 etron, Kia EV6, Ford Mach E and the Model Y before she pulled the trigger.

She went with the Model Y as it was much quicker than the barge Audi Q4 etron, better boot space than the EV6 and had much more features than the Mach E (no pano roof or electric boot, except on the more expensive models. lolwut?!). Even the alloy wheels on the Mach E were rusted, not to mention the hilariously slow Sync 4 user interface.

Ford were also the only ones of the dealers that didn't allow us to drive it ourselves and insisted on a sales rep sitting in the car :/

Soldato
No charger is 800V
you are being pedantic about 350kw chargers being 766V is it ?
The EV6 can do 10-80% in 18 mins and the model 3 can do it in 20 mins on a V3. Plus for that charge you are likely getting more range in the Tesla.
agree there's little in it and only at the low soc that the additional power is useful 0-80% 30 minutes in the Y and 20 minutes in the EV6
not sure what charge rate supercapacitors may offer, but, getting turnaround at the public chargers is desirable(like ice), although,
if you have multiple bays you can efficiently get throughput for multiple vehicles at different states of charge, and optimise use of charge station supply.
I don't know ? does the 800V charging battery configuration give any benefits for drivetrain efficiency/reliability ie. invertor/motor.

Soldato
you are being pedantic about 350kw chargers being 766V is it ?

agree there's little in it and only at the low soc that the additional power is useful 0-80% 30 minutes in the Y and 20 minutes in the EV6
not sure what charge rate supercapacitors may offer, but, getting turnaround at the public chargers is desirable(like ice), although,
if you have multiple bays you can efficiently get throughput for multiple vehicles at different states of charge, and optimise use of charge station supply.
I don't know ? does the 800V charging battery configuration give any benefits for drivetrain efficiency/reliability ie. invertor/motor.

Not really no, the Ionic V/EV6 are both slower and get significantly worse efficiency despite being a very similar size to a model Y.

Realistically I don’t see chargers getting much faster than what’s on offer today. certainly no more than incremental increases.

There are huge issues with getting sufficient power to the locations of chargers. Not only that their off-on-off-on-off nature means it’s also very burdensome for the grid to tolerate (read expensive).

You either need batteries to balance out the power draw or you need to pay for the grid to do that for you. Either way, it’s very expensive.

What we need right now is more plugs capable of around 200kw, not fewer 350kw or above plugs.

Right now, if I had the choice of a service station with 12 150kw plugs or 6 350kw plugs, I’d take the 12 any day of the week. They would be far more useful to far more people at the moment.

Associate
The wife and I test drove the Audi Q4 etron, Kia EV6, Ford Mach E and the Model Y before she pulled the trigger.

She went with the Model Y as it was much quicker than the barge Audi Q4 etron, better boot space than the EV6 and had much more features than the Mach E (no pano roof or electric boot, except on the more expensive models. lolwut?!). Even the alloy wheels on the Mach E were rusted, not to mention the hilariously slow Sync 4 user interface.

Ford were also the only ones of the dealers that didn't allow us to drive it ourselves and insisted on a sales rep sitting in the car :/

Helpful comparison. How do you feel about the overall build quality compared to the other 3? thanks

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Helpful comparison. How do you feel about the overall build quality compared to the other 3? thanks
Audi was probably the nicest internally if not a carbon copy of every other Audi interior. I can’t stress how slow and lumbering it felt.

EV6 was very nice but it felt a lot smaller than the others. The boot space in particular was a shame but weirdly the leg room in the back was bigger than anticipated

Model Y was minimal but no build issues I could see. The PPF on the wheel arch was a nice touch but I recognise the design isn’t for everyone

Mach E felt cheap and nasty. The handles in the back for instance felt like they’d come straight off a 3D printer. The plastic roof panel and A pillars were a horrible piano plastic finish that were scratched and would only get worse.

Soldato
There are two EV BMWs coming out in 2022, BMW IX and BMW I4, also AUDI Q4 E-TRON

I test drove the Q4. Felt a little subpar for £50-odd grand. Performance was poor, cost cutting measures were evident on the interior and the boot was an average size.

I can't wait indefinitely a new car since it's been 10 months since I last had one. The Y ticks almost all the boxes.

Soldato
We don’t need 12x 350kWchargers.
Just a 2MW power bank with 15 posts fed from it.

jpaul the chargers have a max output of around 910V. No idea where your magic 766V came from. Voltage is to “push” energy. You need a delta.

Chargers are actually rated by current.

Soldato
jpaul the chargers have a max output of around 910V. No idea where your magic 766V came from.
twas on the bjorn video on ev6 vs taycan 800V architecture he gives a battery architecture rationale for why 766 (it was less than 800 and maybe I misrememberd exact value) is the voltage ev6 requests, but as you say maybe other cars can negotiate more on a 350Kw.

Soldato
I test drove the Q4. Felt a little subpar for £50-odd grand. Performance was poor, cost cutting measures were evident on the interior and the boot was an average size.

I can't wait indefinitely a new car since it's been 10 months since I last had one. The Y ticks almost all the boxes.
Interesting comments - the Q4 interior is better quality than Model Y, for about the same price! The Y doesn't even come with a rear parcel shelf - that is cost cutting to the extreme ! Even Dacia's come with those.
When you say cost cutting for the Q4 interior - it's a £50k car, not a £200k Bentley !! So of course some materials will be cheap.

Back
Top Bottom