Test Drive Unlimited 3 is officially being made :)

Associate

Im glad they mentioned about lack of particle effects like dust kickback missing.
Yeah, that was the most 'uncanny valley' thing about it for me, looks good in terms of texture res and general graphics, but needs the extras like particle effects (and water physics...although not sure that would have been encountered in that trailer).... one of the biggest 'wow' moments for me in a racing game was the water splash in Dirt 2!

That said though, I had a good time playing TDU2 when it came out, so hoping this will be decent (and that some of the cars sound as good as the AMG black edition did!)

Soldato
as dsog said its a bit meh without dust on them tracks being kicked up and trailing behind you etc.
Agreed but the newsletter ShiWarrior posted before the YT video mentions this. Since this game was announced I've not been convinced it'd be anything like TDU. Happy to be proven wrong but doubt I'll be buying this on release. Will wait for reviews and, if its OK at least, get it in some sale some time.

The more observant among you will have noticed the absence of particle effects, especially dust and splashes on gravel roads. We're still working on integrating and optimizing these effects. It's an important element of off-road immersion but also resource- and performance-intensive. Our current development goal for this is to find the best balance between particle effects and performance while ensuring smooth gameplay remains a priority. Although we can display long dust trails like in the WRC games with the KT Engine, the scale of Hong Kong Island and the resources required to display other players and the detailed environments means it's much more of a challenge in TDUSC.

Associate
I think this game will live or die based on the physics models, the videos dont bring me a lot of hope but am happy to be proven wrong, i spent many hundreds of hours on the first one just cruising around, but the physics changed on the second one and it just wasnt the same.

Soldato
I think this game will live or die based on the physics models, the videos dont bring me a lot of hope but am happy to be proven wrong, i spent many hundreds of hours on the first one just cruising around, but the physics changed on the second one and it just wasnt the same.

I'll always remember the OcUK cruises across the island in the first one. I miss that.

Man of Honour
but the physics changed on the second one and it just wasnt the same.

I don't mind the physics in the second one, though they can be a bit odd at times.

To be honest after Ibiza and Hawaii though the location just isn't clicking for me personally.

Associate
Wonder if it will have a VR mode at some point? I can't play driving games in 2D now after experiencing VR.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Driving games were immense even with 3D Vision, one of the few types of games which really work well with it, but I just can't get over the convenience factor personally - fun to play as a novelty but I could only play without VR daily.

Caporegime
They seriously require a discord name to register for the upcoming beta test...

to much hassle for me I'll pass...

I long for the day discord dies a horrible death

Too many game companies replaced their forums with discord...

Last edited:
Caporegime
Same here, unfortunately, the younger gamers love it.

Old man here with fond memories of forums and Teamspeak/Mumble servers.
Yea I don't get it because discord has almost 0 visibility on search engines compared to a companies own forum.

Maybe its an age thing but I trust companies a lot more when they have a forum, when they don't its like they are trying to hide something.

any negative feedback is basically hidden on a discord server and nay complaints, just ignore them because its easy

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Yeah dunno why Discord is so popular I have to use it on and off for some projects and use it as little as I can, and that is from someone who was plugged into IRC for well over a decade.

Caporegime
Yeah dunno why Discord is so popular I have to use it on and off for some projects and use it as little as I can, and that is from someone who was plugged into IRC for well over a decade.
I'm guessing companies think it's a lot more popular amongst gamers than it really is.

A few years ago it was huge, now it seems like no gamers really use it unless coerced

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom