*** The 2010 Gym Rats Thread ***

Soldato
Goals for 2010.

Get my body weight over 70Kg with only muscle. At 68kg atm from the 64kg I started at in 09.

Not to slack.
Get a lot more cardio done. I've been really bad at cardio.

To get myself outside and run no matter the weather, I've got the clothing just need to get out and get it done.

Man of Honour
OP
Going to try out a hardcore spit and sawdust gym in a sec.

Shame it wasn't to your needs, but it does sound absolutely brilliant though! :cool:

Goals for 2010 are to keep with my lean bulk and gain as much as I can. Aiming for 16st+ by the end of the year with a decent sized waist

Sounds similar to me! It's all about being a big ****er this year, but also a strong one. I'm feeling particularly puny at the moment, though my strength is good - I think it's a bit of body dismorphia kicking in. :(

PAz

PAz

Soldato
Shame it wasn't to your needs, but it does sound absolutely brilliant though! :cool:

It was cool, but not the right kind of place if you want like doing the big lifts. The atmosphere was hardcore, old rusty iron plates, little heater in the corner etc etc.

Me and Stu are gagging for this weather to pic up so we can start playing with the toys again :cool:

Permabanned
So what happens if you do have a strong coffee??? do you start bouncing off the walls? :p

Unfortunately no, I used be a proper coffee afficianado, but I started getting problem with the old guts, lets just say it ends in explosive effects:p its probably not caffiene intolerance more something to do with the oils in the coffee beans, I can have coffee in moderation without any effects.

I'll try and drop the portion size for my main meal on day I do 5 asidem see if that helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
I'm doing Trek China in May, for charity. It involves 7-8 hours, for 8 days, along the great wall of China. Obviously this will mean my target this year will be to increase my stamina and fitness.

Muay Thai is on hold, weight training will now become Big exercises only, and probably only once a week. Squats, deads, power cleans, bors and bench are probably the only excersises I'll continue to do.

Associate
Over the past couple of days I've seen a couple of 'diet' shows on tv and I'm just astonished at i) The faddy, quick fix, 'drop a dress size in two weeks' approach they take and ii) The complete nutritional ignorance of anyone that seems to be featured on them.

The one on channel 4 at the moment has woman comparing calories in Coco Pop breakfast bars and Special K breakfast bars. Aside from the fact that they are both nutritionally deficient in pretty much everything the ladies are appalled that the Coco Pops contains 6 fewer calories than the Special K bar - "We're being conned!"

If only someone, in their 60 years of being on the planet had taught them to read they'd be able to see the difference for themselves. I hate the public.

/rant

Soldato
Over the past couple of days I've seen a couple of 'diet' shows on tv and I'm just astonished at i) The faddy, quick fix, 'drop a dress size in two weeks' approach they take and ii) The complete nutritional ignorance of anyone that seems to be featured on them.

The one on channel 4 at the moment has woman comparing calories in Coco Pop breakfast bars and Special K breakfast bars. Aside from the fact that they are both nutritionally deficient in pretty much everything the ladies are appalled that the Coco Pops contains 6 fewer calories than the Special K bar - "We're being conned!"

If only someone, in their 60 years of being on the planet had taught them to read they'd be able to see the difference for themselves. I hate the public.

/rant

I'm watching it, pretending to be a nutritionally accurate show when all they're doing is counting calories. Painful stuff.

Associate
It gets more and more horrific.

An egg = 100 calories...cut to woman "Oooo as much as a caramel wafer".

Screw it, I'm eating three caramel wafers for breakfast every day now.

Soldato
is this workout sufficient mon wed thurs

DB Bench *3sets
DB Incline Bench *3sets
Military Press *3sets
Bent over rows *3sets super setted with pullups
front squats *3sets
skull crushers *3sets
SLDL * 3sets
BB Curls *2 sets
sits ups * 25

might swap in deadlifts for front squats now and then.

having done this routine tonight I feel that its to much in one go, perhaps better to split it up over four days?

mon and thurs

flatDB bench or inclineDB bench 3*10
SkullCrushers or tri extension 3*10
flyes 3 *10
pullups 3 *10
1 arm row or bor 3*10
situps

tues and fri

front squat or deadlift 3*15
sldl or good mornings 3*10
military press or inclineDB Press 3*10
front or lateral raises 3*10
calf raises

Soldato
Badcompany -

That looks like a good idea if you feel it's too much in one go.

It means you could up your reps to 12 if you find this helps you gain the most mass, or slow your negatives down as your body will have longer to recover. It also means you could pop an extra exercise in if you wish.

I quite like doing 2 days on then 1 or 2 days off depending on the intensity.
If you want it more intense you could superset opposing or even same bodypart exercises.

You can also experiment with the frequency of your training and see what works for you. Some people may gain more mass with a lesser chest session 3 x a week, where as others may find 1 big session a week works better.

Remember to eat, sleep and stretch well :)

Man of Honour
OP
Well things are on track this year, my conditioning & lean mass program is still working well. Although my weight is stagnant, my waist has lost just over an inch since I started and the BF has definitely come down, yet legs arms and chest are still where they should be and actually in places I've gained a bit as well for certain! By the time March rolls around I'll be well and truly ready for the punishment.

For example doing chins + 5kg for 10 reps for 3 sets was fairly straightforward
140kg squats to below parallel for 8-9 reps for 3 sets again was well within my comfort zone.

By the end of Jan to mid Feb, I'll be back to 200kg DLs for 6-8 reps, Squats back to 160 for reps, bench back to 130kg for reps. I'm feeling bloody good. I might have a go at some 1RMs at the end of Feb to see how I get on - hopefully increase my total by 10kg overall would be nice. :)

Then comes the toruture for 60 days. Then back to a 4-5 day split for a bit I reckon.

Associate
Ok well since I am snowed in today, cant get to work, cant study (gear is at office :rolleyes: ) I can at least think about my diet and training today for the year of 2010.

My broad objective is to be 175lb at a low fat percentage. What that percentage is I dont know, but I can only describe it as that level where your abs are just a few %'s away from coming through.

Anyway, I'm basing my 175lb figure upon a physique I observed. They were 5ft 9" and weighed 165lb. Proportionally, for me, at 6ft 1", I reckon that means 175lb.

I am currently sitting at about 166lb, heres a few pics :eek:

As you can see, absolutely no arms, chest or shoulders to speak of! I wont even bother posting my legs. Although they are definitely my strongest point, they are small and lacking definition (as is everything else). My gut feeling is that I've another 7-10lb of fat to lose and at the minimum 14lb of muscle to add.

I very much doubt that I'm going to be able to add 14lb of muscle during this year, but I think that 18 months is a fair timescale.

If I can end 2010 at 170lb and lean I will consider it to have been an incredibly productive year.

January is according to my plan the last of my fat loss dietary programs. I think what I will be doing is substantially cutting down on the cardio and probably upping my calorie intake to 2750 (up 250 on my current diet)

If I assume that 2500 is my maintenance, then a surplus of 250 over 30 days is going to result in a gross montly surplus of 7500 calories, just over 2lb. If 1lb of that is muscle and the other 1lb going towards fuelling the muscle growth and fat gain then I will be chuffed.

My biggest battles are going to be keeping my diet in check. Not so much keeping myself from eating crap, I find that very easy, but actually making sure that I eat the amounts I need to at the times I need to. Freezing 30 days worth of food at a time has greatly helped in this regard and with the addition of more easy consumable foods such as nuts coming into my diet more for Feb and onwards, the battle should be a lot easier.

Associate
My goal is fairly straight forward for this year; get below 90kg and stay there. Preferably around the 85kg mark.

Age 27
Height 6'4"
current weight 91kg

Have gained some good motivation from these threads over the years but never really contributed. Thanks to everyone who has though as it definately helps.

Back
Top Bottom