*** The 2010 Gym Rats Thread ***

Man of Honour
OP
Can you recommend a decent brand of protein which is free of additives, sweeteners etc. I also remember reading you should avoid something they put in the cheaper products but it could have been a marketing ploy.

I quite like bulksupplementsdirect, I know the owners and their product is very clean/good. BSD112 will get you a 5% discount. It's not the cheapest out there mind, but the quality is 2nd to none. And it lasts - I've had my current batch for 5 months and it's still fine.

Two questions about this.

1) Are you supposed to follow the same low-carbs in the evening when bulking up?
2) Is there a website which suggests some low/carb free evening meals. I'm a student so I can't afford to be spending hugh sums of money on fish all the time. I'm assuming the easiest option is to stick to meat and veg, or things like spag bol but without the spag :D

1) Yes I would - you'll interfere too much with hormonal releases at night to maximise growth and recovery with too many carbs at night. Also, I can't sleep if I've eaten too many carbs.

2) It's almost impossible to get carb free meals, but low carbs are easy enough. Meat/fish with veggies (preferably some greens and lots of them).

I always have carbs in the morning else I can't function during the day! My brekkie is always at least 650cals!

Soldato
Soldato
I quite like bulksupplementsdirect, I know the owners and their product is very clean/good. BSD112 will get you a 5% discount. It's not the cheapest out there mind, but the quality is 2nd to none. And it lasts - I've had my current batch for 5 months and it's still fine.

1) Yes I would - you'll interfere too much with hormonal releases at night to maximise growth and recovery with too many carbs at night. Also, I can't sleep if I've eaten too many carbs.

2) It's almost impossible to get carb free meals, but low carbs are easy enough. Meat/fish with veggies (preferably some greens and lots of them).

I always have carbs in the morning else I can't function during the day! My brekkie is always at least 650cals!

Thanks for the advice mate really appreciate it.

As for good sources of carbs I take it I'm fine with brown pasta/spaghetti/bread.

I'm off to the gym at 4 and I've realised all I've eaten today is tuna, salmon fillets, avocado, tomatoes and eggs. So I've just had two slices of brown bread and a banana, I take it doing that is absolutely fine if I need to increase carbs before the weights session? I also assume that, really, what I've already eaten today should in fact come later on and earlier meals should have a higher carb concentration.

Cheers

Man of Honour
OP
Carbs aren't really a big enemy, as long as you're eating the right ones and getting protein and fats into you as well. Carbs are the easiest item for your body to turn into fat however, hence why using them sensibly is vital. Hence first thing in the morning and before a workout and not at night. The simpler the carb the easier it converts to energy and if that energy isn't used it'll metabolise into fat more readily. The more complex the carb, the slower the release and breakdown of the carb, meaning your body uses the energy without a huge dump of it at once - like a trickle charge to use and example.

Soldato
Just joined a local council gym for 5 weeks before I go back down to uni.

Free weights are average. 3 benches, dumbells, a smith machine and just the one power rack type thing with an olympic bar. Having said that, I was the only one who used the bar while I was there. Unfortunately no pull-up bar or dip bars. I'll have to improvise somehow.

Looking forward to getting back on it after 5 weeks of travelling with a "questionable" diet.:p

Soldato
Carbs aren't really a big enemy, as long as you're eating the right ones and getting protein and fats into you as well. Carbs are the easiest item for your body to turn into fat however, hence why using them sensibly is vital. Hence first thing in the morning and before a workout and not at night. The simpler the carb the easier it converts to energy and if that energy isn't used it'll metabolise into fat more readily. The more complex the carb, the slower the release and breakdown of the carb, meaning your body uses the energy without a huge dump of it at once - like a trickle charge to use and example.

Surely in that case the time to use simple carbs is straight before the workout?

Man of Honour
So really, things like cottage cheese before bed are a bad idea? As dairy is a simple carbohydrate. It's weird that most places breach the use of cottage cheese as a pre bed meal, as it's a slow release protein

Soldato
Right basically ive been training for about nearly 4 years, for first 3 years i was into my running and lots of cardio and some endurance building (light weights lots of reps). But for the last year and a half my training changed as my goals changed to getting big and strong (like freefaller but less hairy) so thats what i did. Im pretty happy with my training, i get a new program every 6 weeks which im sure is some kind of torture my instructor puts on me.
My weight has gone up, from 12stone 6 pounds to 13stone 8 pounds. There seems to be some pros and cons to this though the pros is that my weights are increasing, and the vanity side of things im getting compliments. The con side is that im putting on fat around the lower belly and its starting to show if im sitting down or the winds blowing and its pressing my shirt against me:p
I dont think my diet is a 100% perfect but it is pretty good, and i dont smoke, drink ( that includes fizzy drinks), or eat junk food.
Could my lack of cardio be causing it, all i do now is just warmup exercises at the gym like 1000m on the rower which takes me less that 4 mins. As of last week ive upped my weight training to 4 times a week instead of 3. I now go tues/wed/fri/sat, so its not like im not undertraining infact so far this year i haven missed a single session.

I know it sounds like im unhappy with my training but im not i really enjoy it, my weights are going up and one of my exercises (deadlift) is over my body weight. I just would like to figure out how to lose the fat thats starting to appear around the lower belly.

Man of Honour
Free weights are average. 3 benches, dumbells, a smith machine and just the one power rack type thing with an olympic bar. Having said that, I was the only one who used the bar while I was there. Unfortunately no pull-up bar or dip bars. I'll have to improvise somehow.

Does the Smith Machine or the power rack not have a pull-up bar attached or at least something at the top that you could substitute for that? Dips might be more difficult, you could use two benches as a basic substitute - feet on one bench and hands on the other so you're lowering yourself from a seated position each time.

I'm not scary am I?! :(

Absolutely terrifying. :p

Associate
Oh my I've just discovered cottage cheese with raspberries! What a delightful desert! :D It went down nicely after 350g of sweet potato, a tin of baked beans and 250g of chicken breast. I am absolutely stuffed :D

Associate
Out of interest, where do you get your whey powder/stuff from?

Depends mate, problem with nutrisport is it's popular and usually goes on offer at diff places at diff times! last time I got the tub for 39 quid delivered from megafit.com but they put the price up as far as I know. Then I got another one from bodyshapersfitness usually and you get money off each time you order and just google for voucher codes lmao. So usually works out at £40/41. Most people say nutrisport tastes crap but I like it, each to their own, end of the day who cares about taste just drink it lol?

Associate
it does crap and the way it mixes looks a bit... odd.
I'd rather buy stuff from myprotein and add nesquick in it, works out cheaper and I think they're more trustworthy.

Associate
it does crap and the way it mixes looks a bit... odd.
I'd rather buy stuff from myprotein and add nesquick in it, works out cheaper and I think they're more trustworthy.

It's legit.
There was a report somewhere I can't even mind now but it had been tested for it's content etc came back all good will try dig it out.
Plus I know MANY bbers and trainers who use it and have used it for years.
I gain well enough on it as well.

It is low carb, high prot.

I don't rely on shakes really, I take 2 a day 3 maximum... So it lasts me ages.

Back
Top Bottom