*** The 2011 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
so my gym is upping the fee by a tenner a month so it'd now be £40 which would be fine if i used all the facilities but i really only use the weights so i am toying with the idea of buying some equipment seein as i have a garage.

what do people suggest to get? i was thinking a power rack, bench and weights?

I recall someone here saying that stuff for horse stables is suitable and about half the price, I'm sure they'll be in with a URL soon...

www.google.co.uk/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=2

you want the 27.99 mats

stay away from EVA, you want rubber.

i haven't used these guys but i will when i move house, my other mats cost me over £60 each so these are less than half price. i need another 8 mats at least (have 2 atm), but i have a rather big home gym.

Last time I did deadlifts was before I started my HST about 6 weeks ago, and I topped at 85kg for 6 or 8 reps. I've had a week and a half off, and I've got two weeks of 'messing around' before I start HST again, so thought I'd give Dead's a go. Here's how it went:

20kg x8
40kg x8
60kg x8
80kg x8
85kg x8
90kg x8
100kg x5
60kg x8

I was absolutely buzzing. Finally hit 100kg for reps, and on top of that it came up easy after a mammoth few sets before it!

i think that'd be enough for me. i have a pretty small frame

Define small frame?

I'm 5'8" and a narrow waist. That could be classed as a small frame, yet I squat 175kg.

Anyone can each 180kg in squats or rack pulls and I'd say it might be better to just buy a stronger rack in the case you get to that weight.

Define small frame?

I'm 5'8" and a narrow waist. That could be classed as a small frame, yet I squat 175kg.

Anyone can each 180kg in squats or rack pulls and I'd say it might be better to just buy a stronger rack in the case you get to that weight.

5'4" 30 inch waist (just)

you are right i guess. that weight just seems plenty at the minute

If you're that small then it might be worth looking at a bench which has adjustable height, as that bodymax one doesn't. Would save you mucking around putting your feet on plates or whatever for benching.

If you're that small then it might be worth looking at a bench which has adjustable height, as that bodymax one doesn't. Would save you mucking around putting your feet on plates or whatever for benching.

ye never thought of that. not had problems before in the two previous gyms though but something i need to look into. nice one mate

5'4" 30 inch waist (just)

you are right i guess. that weight just seems plenty at the minute

It might seem like a lot yes, but when it comes to strength vs body weight. The smaller chaps seem to do the best in world competitions.

I've a 30" waist as well, although I need to wear a 34" cut jeans because of my legs, or get a 32" Super Sloucher pair.

Don't worry about what you think you might lift, just get the best possible, it's always better to know your rack can handle more weight then all the plates you own together.

Howdy, good to see everyone still going at it! And well done Monkee that's some awesome progress you've made there!

Sadly, my shoulder still gives me aggro from time to time...And to top it off, I've just moved house so I no longer have a garage...I may eventually join a gym and start up again, you never know I may be able to make progress one day!!!

However for now, I'm going to hopefully start up cycling again, and also managed to find out a way to do pull ups in my current house, along with dips and various other 'body weight' exercises...So hopefully I can atleast get into a routine of doing something again

Keep at it everyone :)

Thanks Delvis. Would be great if you could continue to do some bodyweight stuff if nothing else. Even some adjustable dumbells and do some dumbell exercises would still be good. If you can do dips and chins etc, I can't see why you couldn't do some other basics :)

Howdy, good to see everyone still going at it! And well done Monkee that's some awesome progress you've made there!

Sadly, my shoulder still gives me aggro from time to time...And to top it off, I've just moved house so I no longer have a garage...I may eventually join a gym and start up again, you never know I may be able to make progress one day!!!

However for now, I'm going to hopefully start up cycling again, and also managed to find out a way to do pull ups in my current house, along with dips and various other 'body weight' exercises...So hopefully I can atleast get into a routine of doing something again

Keep at it everyone :)

you could always use a spare room, but as been said before home gyms tend to be a lot more expensive than a gym membership, so that is the best way to go, especially if money is tight.

i found cycling to be absolutely useless, swimming is a lot better imo, after 1 hour of cycling im starting to feel tired, 10 mins of swimming and im dying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom