*** The 2011 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feel quite proud of myself so I would like to share that I have a personal best of 100kg in deadlift :D (I'm 70)

Was doing a conditioning session after training yesterday and we finished up with deadlift pyramids. I managed to lift 102kg (inc bar and end things) and felt like I could do a tiny bit more but my grip just couldn't take anymore. I know we have some people who lift twice that but it was the first time I have done any barbell work so I was quite chuffed with myself :)

I think I'll be starting Westside for Skinny Barstewards or Simple Strength once exams are over.

I'm a big fan of greek yogurt and muesli in the mornings.

I have oats one morning and yogurt and muesli the next, when ever I can afford the yogurt anyway. Lidl is very good for muesli and yogurt prices.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/when_it_comes_to_squats_easier_doesnt_work

Intensity, while going deep, is the key as I have said many times. Not the number you are lifting, but the intensity.

Go deep, go hard.

I read that the day it was published, good ole Ripptoe. It really works after all.

I've basically done a reset on my squats since I got access to a squat rack instead of a smiths and boy were they hard at first.

Seems like a great thread, wouldnt mind some advice if possible

recentley started a diet to lose a bit of weight after gaining a little too much fat over the winter :( dropped about 10lb in just over a month but cant really say i've noticed any change, eating at about 500 calories under maintenance and lifting 3 times a week with 2 days cardio. Can't say i've really noticed any fat loss though, is this normal? Just sticking with the diet atm and hoping to see some changes soon as i am losing weight

Where's good for greek yoghurt in the UK? Asda don't have much choice, its all Greek 'Style' yoghurt which isn't nearly the same.

This brand looks awesome but can't find anything similiar over here.
http://www.chobani.com/products/c/nonfat

Lidl get imported greek yogurt. It's thicker than normal stuff and quite filling with some muesli as well. Have a look their, it's not expensive either for a 1kg tub.

Seems like a great thread, wouldnt mind some advice if possible

recentley started a diet to lose a bit of weight after gaining a little too much fat over the winter :( dropped about 10lb in just over a month but cant really say i've noticed any change, eating at about 500 calories under maintenance and lifting 3 times a week with 2 days cardio. Can't say i've really noticed any fat loss though, is this normal? Just sticking with the diet atm and hoping to see some changes soon as i am losing weight

What usually happens is you lose fat and gain muscle at roughly the same amount for a period of time. It means you stay around the same weight for a while though.

If you're getting stronger and staying at the same weight you're just gaining muscle and losing fat slowly. Nothing wrong with that at all.

What usually happens is you lose fat and gain muscle at roughly the same amount for a period of time. It means you stay around the same weight for a while though.

If you're getting stronger and staying at the same weight you're just gaining muscle and losing fat slowly. Nothing wrong with that at all.

Im losing weight and my bench press went up a little last week (up to 32.5kg dumbells from 30kg) just cant seem to notice any fat loss :( This could be normal though, from some things i read when i made my diet it should take me 2-3 months to get to were i want to be

should probably add, i started lifting last year in june so i dont think i am still in the beginners stage when it is easy to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time :D

You'd be surprised, I did weight lifting for a good 7-8 months with very little change.

Until I stopped and looked at what I was doing and what I want in the long term. Since Then my strength is in a class of its own ( compared to what it was before) and no longer do I wear XS and S size clothing.

I picked a diet that's fairly flexible and something that does well in the long term, good ole mediterranean diet.
It wasn't far off what I grew up with in South Africa and it works well for slow lean gains.

NB, since you dumbbell bench press even a 2.5kg per DB is a good increase.
Also remember it takes years/decades sometimes to reach your peak in it all.

Last edited:
200kg on the deadlift tonight. Not my best performance but still got a massive pump and felt good afterwards. Trained with a colleague from work who is a power lifter. He's just starting out and won a few local lift competitions already. He pulled up 265kg for 2 reps. Me impressed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom