*** The 2011 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it is a good idea to repeat that day bro, the depth looked wasn't great but the weight is there but there is no reason not to repeat it for consistency's sake. Same with me!

N19h7m4r3, yeah it is chalk, I know I find it helps keep the bar in a comfy position, the only problem is because it increases friction it can make your shoulders bleed as has happened to me now :(

Bleugh!, I think I'm most likely out for this week which is really gay. On Friday I had my squats (165x2x2) which went very similar to ice's but I got my first set fine :D. I had to rush the second so I missed the double and only got a single but I failed it and put it on the catchers (no spotters :(). No problem, I thought, I'll just take some weight off, clean it up and go again. Nope, when I cleaned it I made a complete hash of it a smacked myself in the chest with 70kg. I'm not sure what happened but there was an audible pop and a lot of pain. Never the less I went for another single to tidy off the session and I got it no problem but as soon as I got out from under the bar my chest hurt a lot. Ever since it's been quite sore so I sadly have to take this as a week off, maybe :)

Last edited:
I miss using chalk. My grip is a bit meh lately thanks to that gym being like a sauna!

They're moving buildings and stripped out the aircon units last week.
Take towl whipe hands try to lift!

I also got a really nice friction burn below my neck from the squat bar last Thursday, just happens I guess.

That's the problem with some safety catchers, they're either too high or too low.

When I failed on a squat last week, I was well below parallel yet it was still another 2 inches before the safety would catch the bar.
So I jsut had to try and go down even further, which is hard itself.

If the safety was set one notch higher I would hit it before Parallel; and I find that to be far worse since it can completly throw off the entire lift when it suddenly takes all the pressure and weight off of you.

Last edited:
Cheers guys, it was tough!

The catchers are fully adjustable on that rack and would have allowed a few inches under parallel set as they were. Part of the depth problem is that I'm used to having a mirror, so while I wouldn't be able to adjust on the heavy sets I'd get a feel for depth on the warm ups. Apparently my first rep at that weight was 2 inches under...

I now chalk my back whenever I'm going heavy after having it slip a few times. Being strong in the top range of the lift doesn't help this as the bar gets a lot of wobble, but when you're under something heavy there's no way you're going to moderate your effort!

I think it is a good idea to repeat that day bro, the depth looked wasn't great but the weight is there but there is no reason not to repeat it for consistency's sake. Same with me!
Yeah, apart from making sure I hit my final weight, I want to be able to say I completed every workout. I'm going to do some box squats on wednesday and then I'll be set (thinking triples at 180kg).

Bleugh!, I think I'm most likely out for this week which is really gay. On Friday I had my squats (165x2x2) which went very similar to ice's but I got my first set fine :D. I had to rush the second so I missed the double and only got a single but I failed it and put it on the catchers (no spotters :(). No problem, I thought, I'll just take some weight off, clean it up and go again. Nope, when I cleaned it I made a complete hash of it a smacked myself in the chest with 70kg. I'm not sure what happened but there was an audible pop and a lot of pain. Never the less I went for another single to tidy off the session and I got it no problem but as soon as I got out from under the bar my chest hurt a lot. Ever since it's been quite sore so I sadly have to take this as a week off, maybe :)
**** :p

You need to make sure you go earlier when the rest of the guys are there to help with spotting. Don't rush your cracked ribs/bruised ovaries, it would be a real shame to mess up now.

edit: Jestar

The hip drive was hammered in to be at my powerlifting gym. It's more exaggerated on lighter lifts were my form is struggling not to break. The more I review my form the more problems I find with it, damn it! :p

Time for some cardio...:(

Last edited:
Meh, not too good on chest tonight. Benched 128kg and struggled to hit 8 reps. Can't figured out why all my other weights are steadily climbing but my chest weights are lagging, or even regressing. A month ago I pushed up 140kg with little effort for 5 reps. Maybe them deadlifts two nights ago are still weakening me.

Wow! 8x40kg! What's your BW? I seem to remember you not being particularly small! :p

Speaking of Cardio, due to my badly strained supraspinatus I've not been able to lift a thing for nearly 3 months now, so have been hammering the cardio in the mean time. I can now manage a full hour on the cross-trainer without even losing breath, then immediately onto the bike for a further 20mins+. :) I'm also noticing the fat is starting to fall off, so fingers crossed I'll be in the lower BF-teens by the end of the year :)

This may not mean much to most, but I've been struggling with my weight for nearly 15 years and weightlifting was the first form of exercise I found I could stick at and actually enjoyed. So for me to find the enthusiasm has carried over to cardio so I can continue to try and keep in shape is simply fantastic news. :) It's also great news to me that I'll finally be back in the "normal" scope of BF :D

Meh, not too good on chest tonight. Benched 128kg and struggled to hit 8 reps. Can't figured out why all my other weights are steadily climbing but my chest weights are lagging, or even regressing. A month ago I pushed up 140kg with little effort for 5 reps. Maybe them deadlifts two nights ago are still weakening me.

Take a break from the Benchpress mate.
Try leaning forward dips, do more shoulder and lat work.

I did that and broke my old 70kg barrier, even though that's a joke compared to your benching hahaha.

Not to mention though it all helped my Clean and Press a lot.

Wow! 8x40kg! What's your BW? I seem to remember you not being particularly small! :p

Speaking of Cardio, due to my badly strained supraspinatus I've not been able to lift a thing for nearly 3 months now, so have been hammering the cardio in the mean time. I can now manage a full hour on the cross-trainer without even losing breath, then immediately onto the bike for a further 20mins+. :) I'm also noticing the fat is starting to fall off, so fingers crossed I'll be in the lower BF-teens by the end of the year :)

This may not mean much to most, but I've been struggling with my weight for nearly 15 years and weightlifting was the first form of exercise I found I could stick at and actually enjoyed. So for me to find the enthusiasm has carried over to cardio so I can continue to try and keep in shape is simply fantastic news. :) It's also great news to me that I'll finally be back in the "normal" scope of BF :D

It's always good to see fat coming off, really gives you a mental boost I find, and that translates into more motivation and effort at the gym.

Last weighed myself on April 19th and I was 89kg @ 5'10... I had a bit of jack3d before the session, that might have helped a little!

Great session today. Gym was packed which sucks whenever it comes to using an oly bar. Did an extra 10 minutes cardio at the start just waiting for a bar to be free, gave up when the 2nd person started curling with it in the squat rack. Asked him if he could use the smaller 20kg barbell so i could deadlift he told me to f off. Nice one :D So i just stood right behind him waiting he only did 1 set then left.

Anyway, deadlifts

70kgx8
90kgx7
100kgx4
110kgx2
120kgx1

New PB :) Dont think ive got much more in me, maybe 130 if i did less warm ups but this felt stuck to the floor! Happy non the less.

Oh and the same guy i talked about squatting last time was back, this time doing front squats with about 1/4 ROM. Beast

Take a break from the Benchpress mate.
Try leaning forward dips, do more shoulder and lat work.

I did that and broke my old 70kg barrier, even though that's a joke compared to your benching hahaha.

Not to mention though it all helped my Clean and Press a lot.

Think you might be right. I'm also approaching it wrong when it comes to benching. I'm very nervous and worried about the lack of progress and it seems to be affecting me in the negative. I might do the dips and perhaps some machine work for chest for a few weeks and come back anew.

70kg is respectable fella. Seen many a big guy fail 50-70kg miserably due to not being able to control the weight correctly. The jump from 60-70kg to 100kg isn't THAT great. At my rate you'd most likely be benching 150kg before I do :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom