*** The 2011 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
:eek:

Also fully out swear words :p

They are ;)

About time... slacker!

Well the last 3 weeks I've been getting back to it - but today was the first time I was "in the zone" for a LONG time. I'm raring to go - by the time Brighton comes around, I shall be in top form! :cool:

(Not that I was looking too shabby in London :p)

:D:)

Bout time!

I know! Feels great! :D :D :D

Only shifted 16 Tonnes tonight, but it felt GREAT! Can't wait to move onto some big weights again! :D

Man of Honour
Ok, well when you put it like that it doesn't sound so bad. Would one take everyday or just on workout days?

I take whey for three reasons:

1) to help me get around 200g of protein per day. So it's basically supplementing my other protein sources to get to this figure cheaply (ish)

2) post workout. Whey is absorbed quickly by your body

3) in the mornings as part of a breakfast smoothy (milk, ground oats, whey, and berries or just nesquick/cinnamon for flavour)

IF makes everything so simple. The new testament bodybuilders bible :cool:
It's so true.

I don't technically IF but I borrow some principals and it just makes things so much easier.

I ****ing love the gym. :cool: :cool: :cool:

Boys, I am back in the biz. Ripping this **** up. :D

Oh yes.
Got over your sore vagina then? :p

Good to hear you're back on it :cool:

Last edited:
Soldato
I take whey for three reasons:

1) to help me get around 200g of protein per day. So it's basically supplementing my other protein sources to get to this figure cheaply (ish)

2) post workout. Whey is absorbed quickly by your body

3) in the mornings as part of a breakfast smoothy (milk, ground oats, whey, and berries or just nesquick/cinnamon for flavour)

What brand do you use? I went on a comparison site and it blew my mind all the different types and whatnot.

Associate
I had the total opposite to freefaller! Went to the gym and thought I'd do some legs. Deciding to jog while I could t get to the gym has ruined my knees and I only did it three times. Left knee was very sore even when trying 60kg equate. Hamstring curls were even worse so I gave up and did shoulders instead.

Which brings me on to my next subject, anyone got a decent shoulder workout I can use for promoting size and strength, it must included standing barbell presses!

Thanks in advance

Man of Honour
Yeah I only buy bulk, so myprotein, bulk supplements direct, and there is a new one that seems good but I can't remember the name. Buying a "branded" protein powder is mostly a mugs game unless it's a very special offer, sometimes they cost double the price for less product.

Soldato
Yeah I only buy bulk, so myprotein, bulk supplements direct, and there is a new one that seems good but I can't remember the name. Buying a "branded" protein powder is mostly a mugs game unless it's a very special offer, sometimes they cost double the price for less product.

Well this one is £19.99 for 2kgs so £10 cheaper than most and only requires one scoop for 21.3g of protein. Would you buy this?

Soldato
Good plan. ;)

What's the rest of the diet like? Forgive me if you've posted it already.

I'm not actually having a special diet. I'm not looking to be Hulk Hogan I just don't like being weedy. I've worked out with what I eat that I get quite a decent amount of protein and carbs etc and as my job generally requires no effort I don't burn much energy at work.
When it comes to my meals I'm not independent (live with parents) :cool: I can take control of my breakfast and lunch though as a compromise if needs be.

Soldato
Still, it's important that the foundations are there. You can make decent gains with training and a pretty poor diet, but if you want to maintain low bodyfat then that mainly comes down to diet.

I made this mistake when I first started training a couple of years ago. Eating way too many carbs and within a month I'd put on 18lbs, 95% of that being fat!

Just be sure to try to keep carbs fairly low, and if/when you do eat them try to avoid processed, high GI foods like white rice and grains. You can basically have as much veg as you want though as it's usually so fibrous (obviously not things like white potato, think broccoli).

Fats are good, too. Avoid if at all possible "low fat" foods as they're usually high in sugars as a result. Fats are your friend. Aiming for a 40:30:30 split of protein, carbs and fats would be a good start.

Soldato
Still, it's important that the foundations are there. You can make decent gains with training and a pretty poor diet, but if you want to maintain low bodyfat then that mainly comes down to diet.

I made this mistake when I first started training a couple of years ago. Eating way too many carbs and within a month I'd put on 18lbs, 95% of that being fat!

Just be sure to try to keep carbs fairly low, and if/when you do eat them try to avoid processed, high GI foods like white rice and grains. You can basically have as much veg as you want though as it's usually so fibrous (obviously not things like white potato, think broccoli).

Fats are good, too. Avoid if at all possible "low fat" foods as they're usually high in sugars as a result. Fats are your friend. Aiming for a 40:30:30 split of protein, carbs and fats would be a good start.

Appreciate the advice. Generally we eat pasta at least once a week (red tomato sauce + pancetta) Roast with brocolli,peas,carrots etc, chicken with rice (washed)+peas, chicken with potatos+peppers and salad. This is of course a small sample but we don't eat junk and mother certainly wouldn't dream of buying really unhealthy stuff :cool:

I skip breakfast mostly every day, I only eat one sandwich for lunch, usually with cream cheese and salami, that's it. Thought about taking in a pot of tuna on workout days too and dried fruit maybe. I don't eat enough fruit because I class it as a "hassle" but I'm always up for alternative snacks.

Edit: Just weighed myself, I'm 12.8st or 176.6lbs. I'm 5.10/11ft. What would be a realistic target for say 3 months down the line? Is 14st too ambitious or classed as overweight?

Last edited:
Soldato
The basics are there then, that's good. You will probably need to increase the amount of protein you eat per day quite significantly though, try to aim for 200g if you can.

14st is very ambitious, yes! I was 11st when I started 2 years ago (5'8"), I'm now 12st with a little drop in bodyfat. I forget what the top end of achievable muscle gain is per month, but it's not very high naturally. Hopefully someone will come along with a number!

I wouldn't base your progress on what the scales say though, this is generally a bad idea because you'll probably want to see an increase no matter what the cost (i.e. fat gain!). At least that was my mentality when I first started out. I'm just trying to make sure you don't make the same mistakes as me.

I much prefer gauging progress from what weight I'm lifting. Simple and easily quantifiable - just what I like. Although obviously this depends whether your training is going to be primarily strength-driven or for aesthetics/size.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom