*** The 2011 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
That makes perfect sense that I should judge my progress by the weights I lift rather than my own weight. I'll give you an example of how weak I am, I was doing at home single bicep curls doing 3*12 10kg and after that my arm would feel completely dead (sometimes would get an electric shock type feeling), I also noticed I'd sort of twist my back when I was struggling which clearly isn't right. The difference now is I'm actually doing cardio so no doubt that will aid me in my weights somehow. My weights induction is next Wednesday and I think the guidance will be invaluable. I don't think I'll be able to train at home on off days as I'll likely need them for recovery.
My motivation is aesthetics (not posing in the mirror type) and it is of course a benefit to be naturally stronger too.

Man of Honour
I skip breakfast mostly every day, I only eat one sandwich for lunch, usually with cream cheese and salami, that's it. Thought about taking in a pot of tuna on workout days too and dried fruit maybe. I don't eat enough fruit because I class it as a "hassle" but I'm always up for alternative snacks.

Edit: Just weighed myself, I'm 12.8st or 176.6lbs. I'm 5.10/11ft. What would be a realistic target for say 3 months down the line? Is 14st too ambitious or classed as overweight?
:eek:

You will make zero gains with that diet!

Need to eat MUCH more, primarily in the form of protein sources and non-junky fats. DO NOT make the mistake of thinking you should cram loads of fruit down your throat, it's basically as bad as sweets for fat gain.

Permabanned
Found this pic, so true lol

jcJWvU.jpg

Soldato
:eek:

You will make zero gains with that diet!

Need to eat MUCH more, primarily in the form of protein sources and non-junky fats. DO NOT make the mistake of thinking you should cram loads of fruit down your throat, it's basically as bad as sweets for fat gain.

I can certainly improve on the lunch front but I'm guessing there aren't many options for breakfast bar say wholemeal toast with natural peanut butter, or oats, or muselli, ok there are options.

Soldato
Despite your aims it will be a good idea to start on a strength program to begin with for, well... lots of reasons, but that can wait until after your induction! And don't worry about bicep curls (I mean seriously, forget about them :p), besides I was curling less than that when I started and can't really curl much more now in the grand scheme of things. You'll soon realise there are FAR more important exercises for muscle building, in fact I'd be surprised if they'd even feature in your routine at all.

Also you should try to stay away from machines and focus on free weights. It may be a bit daunting to begin with, but you'll get a much better, more efficient workout because of the increased muscle recruitment and it won't leave you with weak points.

Soldato
:D

yeah there are plenty of option. Don't forget eggs and bacon!

I usually have a whey smoothy for convenience.

Well as I said earlier on in the thread, I'll make sure to have a wheyshake every morning regardless. I think I'll have a good breakfast, smaller lunch, good snack in the afternoon (about 3) and less dinner.

Thanks Mansize for all your info and advice. It's a minefield of stuff to learn but I guess I'll get stuck in and learn from experiences.

Man of Honour
Despite your aims it will be a good idea to start on a strength program to begin with for, well... lots of reasons, but that can wait until after your induction! And don't worry about bicep curls (I mean seriously, forget about them :p), besides I was curling less than that when I started and can't really curl much more now in the grand scheme of things. You'll soon realise there are FAR more important exercises for muscle building, in fact I'd be surprised if they'd even feature in your routine at all.

Also you should try to stay away from machines and focus on free weights. It may be a bit daunting to begin with, but you'll get a much better, more efficient workout because of the increase muscle recruitment and it won't leave you with weak points.
This is so true, even if you want big arms.

I do next to no direct arm work and I do fine for size, granted if I was going down more of a bodybuilding route I'd some some but my point is it's not needed, especially in the volume that most guys in the gym do it.

Man of Honour
Well as I said earlier on in the thread, I'll make sure to have a wheyshake every morning regardless. I think I'll have a good breakfast, smaller lunch, good snack in the afternoon (about 3) and less dinner.

Thanks Mansize for all your info and advice. It's a minefield of stuff to learn but I guess I'll get stuck in and learn from experiences.
Why less dinner?

Let me put it this way, if the majority of what you eat is meat you'll not put on too much fat.

Don't be scared of eating enough

edit: ok I've just read that back and it isn't very helpful!

I think you'll find that your current calories are quite low. While you might see some initial gains just from going to the gym these will tail off very quickly. In a year or so you'll wish you took advantage of this "newbie gains" period by eating more!

Last edited:
Soldato
Why less dinner?

Let me put it this way, if the majority of what you eat is meat you'll not put on too much fat.

Don't be scared of eating enough

I just thought I'd be fullup but I got a pretty big appetite. I'm guessing it's quality over quantity. I've read the sticky and I'll make some kind of breakfast + lunch plan from there.

Soldato
Dailyburn is godly :) And suddenly makes you realise just how little you actually eat!

Just had a HUGE chicken wing, a mountain of broccoli and enough sweet potato mash to feed a small country. I am satisfied :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Ok I got 1178k and that was with a takeaway today. It suggests I take in nearly 3k! I'm well off. Also was I right to dissect my sandwich, eg, I said I had white bread x2, corned beef slice x2, 10g of sandwich pickle, and the same for the butter?

Soldato
Ok I got 1178k and that was with a takeaway today. It suggests I take in nearly 3k! I'm well off. Also was I right to dissect my sandwich, eg, I said I had white bread x2, corned beef slice x2, 10g of sandwich pickle, and the same for the butter?

Yes, However if you're still eating stuff like white bread I'd assess your food choices (Its a high GI carb) and I dont think corned beef is great (allbeit not a big deal if you dont eat it often).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom