*** The 2011 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Permabanned
But I have cycled 10 miles 50 mins average of 12 miles per hour, went for a 2 miles run before did it in 21 mins, pretty hilly around here so its not like I was strolling.

So I have given my body roughly 600 calories, surly this cant be good for putting on muscle.

Hmm going to stick with this routine till July see what my body is showing in results/times.

Man of Honour
well it completely depends on what kinds of food you're eating, but also it's impossible to say how many calories you've used up doing an activity. It's a completely useless measurement.

Are you trying to lose fat or gain muscle?

Permabanned
well it completely depends on what kinds of food you're eating, but also it's impossible to say how many calories you've used up doing an activity. It's a completely useless measurement.

Are you trying to lose fat or gain muscle?

I know they are going to be general calculations.

Both :(

Just wanting to get fitter, lose the fat and lift weights

Not wanting to go massive size yet, just lose the beer belly and bingo wings :p

Soldato
978 Cals Burned
1487 Calories Eaten

WTF that cant be right

isn't that 978 extra calories on top of your basal metabolic rate?

Example BMR = 2000 calories
I do a jog which is 400 calories

I can now eat 2400 calories and stay the same weight rather than 2000 calories (There are loads of other factors and this is a very basic example).

Also as icecold has said, Calories burned isnt a great measure use distance/ time/speed alternatively use your heart rate.

Permabanned
I'd focus on losing fat first then, but just eat as much protein as possible (literally) and you should avoid muscle wastage and may grow some muscle.

Either way, long bouts of steady state cardio are not ideal for fat loss.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online...raining_performance/the_hierarchy_of_fat_loss

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online...cardio_four_complexes_for_a_shredded_physique

But I like cardio and its good for the heart, thats a muscles and it needs working, I dont think I could ever give up cycling/mtb its good stuff. I do lift when I am at the gym, I rest probably 30-40 seconds between sets, like I say I am just getting back into it after years of being lazy so working up my strength to get proper routine going.

Man of Honour
If you're doing it for pleasure then fine, but they are far less affective than other things for fat loss.

"But I like cardio and its good for the heart, thats a muscles and it needs working"

I'm well aware of the importance of cardio vascular health, thanks! ;)

I think you'd find HIIT/hill sprints and complexes are a completely different level of cardio. Don't knock them until you've tried them.

Soldato
I think you'd find HIIT/hill sprints and complexes are a completely different level of cardio. Don't knock them until you've tried them.

I'm going to echo this after my short experience with them so far :p Running used to be the only cardio i enjoyed, and the only one i could keep doing for any length of time. Now its pretty much out of the question but complexes, while extremely hard are pretty fun!

Permabanned
If you're doing it for pleasure then fine, but they are far less affective than other things for fat loss.

"But I like cardio and its good for the heart, thats a muscles and it needs working"

I'm well aware of the importance of cardio vascular health, thanks! ;)

Wasn't trying to be condescending but I dont get these people that are ripped to **** yet claim to do no cardio.

When I was jogging before I did a bit of HITT, running full whack from a gate post to a lamp post then back to jogging, did it about 4 or 5 times, it started to knacker me so I just went back to jogging at a good pace.

Loads of hills around here so will give running them ago.

Man of Honour
The importance with the things I mentioned is intensity.

*running* up a hill isn't good enough, you need to sprint like your life depends on it. Do 60-80m 5-6 or so times and call it a day. Duration is irrelevant.

Did you read the links I posted?

Soldato
This summer feels like it's going to suck for my training.

The gyms in my town are an f'ing joke!
The largest one has no freeweights cept for some dumbells. It's also extremely cramped, you have exactly 1.5m in which to move, because you're surrounded by machines.
They have a smiths and total of 80kg in plates...

It seems my only real option is the same tiny hotel gym as last year.
At least they have some form of olympic bar, even if it's a crappy 5' foot one and can only have a total of 155kg including the bar.
No bench, dumbbells only upto 30kg, a smiths with a 20degree angle, and a graviton dip/pull up machine.

I feel depressed just typing about it all.

I looked into buying the equipment so I could train at home, the cheapest place is irish-lifting.com and it's about 300 euro for a bar and 120kg of plates.

I can't afford that.

God I miss my college gym already.

Last edited:
Soldato
I have the same problem ^

Its either a hotel gym with no rack, crap dumbells, 1 oly bar and a smith, or an esporta which is great but quite a trek to get to and not something i can really afford. Plus i doubt they'd do a 3 month contract. Then theres my dads mates garage which only has about half the stuff i'd need.

Sucks :(

Soldato
The problem I have with the hotel is that bloody 5 foot bar. If it was 7 I wouldn't really care. Working with such a shotr bar is very hard, you have barely any room for your arms and squatting with it is a mess.

Who knows maybe they got some new things in. I'll probably check
Worst is they're all very expensive.

I don't see me making any new gains in strength at all this summer with the lack of equipment and weight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom