*** The 2011 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
I'd think cycling lots from a young age would help but since you're presumably not in possession of a time machine then squatting with good form and intensity will probably help plus a good diet.

its basically lots of leg pressing.

think about it, cycling uphill, what are you doing? leg pressing, the steeper the hill the higher the resistance.

there is 2 types of weightlifting, slow and controlled = strength, speed = explosive power.

so these guys are doing both. slow and controlled when going uphill and explosive power when doing less resistance, such as flat surfaces and downhill.

but i would say they are mainly speed (explosive power) focussed as well as endurance.

they are not squatting as such because of the way the mechanics works, i dont know though for sure, im not a professional cyclist or a personal trainer, maybe someone else might be able to add their 2 cents.

Permabanned
I'd think cycling lots from a young age would help but since you're presumably not in possession of a time machine then squatting with good form and intensity will probably help plus a good diet.

I cycled a lot from 16 nothing major but always did it and played rugby, my legs have never been skinny, even when I was ten I remember having large legs.

With some work, I could be pretty big, , need to strip down the fat to see whats what.

This was me in March, I dont know if they look big because of the fat but I was tensing.

jjLGKI.JPG

This was me in May

quad.png

Some size their, but like I said, not sure how much fat makes quads look bigger but surly I have a good base? I know they tend to split when you get low body fat but looking at the pics of the track cyclists, looks like they have bit more fat on them than body builders.

Especially my left leg it just sticks out like crazy for someone that has dont little squat routine or even leg routine, only been at the gym since March, I use to go to a gym 3 years ago.

Any info/good or bad would be appropriated.

Last edited:
Caporegime

look how shredded that guy is, im guessing he has a six pack under his top, then look at his muscle mass on his legs, you have a good base, certainly not chicken legs, but there is an extreme difference between his legs and yours. first of all if you got as shredded as much as that guy, im guessing your legs would look a hell of a lot smaller.

Permabanned
look how shredded that guy is, im guessing he has a six pack under his top, then look at his muscle mass on his legs, you have a good base, certainly not chicken legs, but there is an extreme difference between his legs and yours. first of all if you got as shredded as much as that guy, im guessing your legs would look a hell of a lot smaller.

So you are saying he bulks then shreds down, like bodybuilders do, so he will be bulking in off season then cut?

Or am I asking the wrong people!

All I am reading is, dont eat carbs, dont do cardio, lift more, eat more to get big, dont do that, do this.

Caporegime
OP
It's highly unlikely he bulks. He eats what he needs to eat to maintain a specific amount of mass.
After years of eating lots of good food and lots of leg specific exercise he has grown.

This is not odd and is not out of the ordinary for someone at the top of the world in their sport.

Caporegime
It's highly unlikely he bulks. He eats what he needs to eat to maintain a specific amount of mass.
After years of eating lots of good food and lots of leg specific exercise he has grown.

This is not odd and is not out of the ordinary for someone at the top of the world in their sport.

+1

i doubt he has ever bulked due to the nature of his sport. im guessing he is just lean gaining all the time. this guy is a professional world class athlete, he does this 24/7 for a living. im guessing all of his thoughts go into what he is eating and when. he clearly has spent many many years of training to get to that level.

Permabanned
+1

i doubt he has ever bulked due to the nature of his sport. im guessing he is just lean gaining all the time. this guy is a professional world class athlete, he does this 24/7 for a living. im guessing all of his thoughts go into what he is eating and when. he clearly has spent many many years of training to get to that level.

So its impossible as amateur?

Man of Honour
its basically lots of leg pressing.

think about it, cycling uphill, what are you doing? leg pressing, the steeper the hill the higher the resistance.

there is 2 types of weightlifting, slow and controlled = strength, speed = explosive power.

so these guys are doing both. slow and controlled when going uphill and explosive power when doing less resistance, such as flat surfaces and downhill.

but i would say they are mainly speed (explosive power) focussed as well as endurance.

they are not squatting as such because of the way the mechanics works, i dont know though for sure, im not a professional cyclist or a personal trainer, maybe someone else might be able to add their 2 cents.

The question wasn't how do you become a professional cyclist though, it was how do you get legs that look like that - for that I'd think that you can do it the way that Sir Chris Hoy and other professional cyclists have or you could go down a bodybuilding route which may be slightly quicker in terms of getting the physical appearance but probably without anywhere near the same levels of physical endurance for cycling.

Caporegime
The question wasn't how do you become a professional cyclist though, it was how do you get legs that look like that - for that I'd think that you can do it the way that Sir Chris Hoy and other professional cyclists have or you could go down a bodybuilding route which may be slightly quicker in terms of getting the physical appearance but probably without anywhere near the same levels of physical endurance for cycling.

dude i said lots of leg pressing, you even quoted it

Permabanned
Reason I asked was because I will never be able to be a long distance cyclist, dont have the body type, too stocky for that so was thinking of many going into track cycling as a hobby.

Man of Honour
dude i said lots of leg pressing, you even quoted it

Apologies then, I thought you were trying to describe how to emulate a pro cyclist there. Although it's worth noting an interview with Sir Chris Hoy where he says his gym work is mainly heavy squatting for the strength - although I appreciate that if you're just going for the 'look' that leg pressing may be mechanically more suitable.

Spw, going the bodybuilding route will be much quicker and less time consuming than emulating a pro cyclist.

That was pretty much my point although it may have been I misread Psycho Sonny's post.

Reason I asked was because I will never be able to be a long distance cyclist, dont have the body type, too stocky for that so was thinking of many going into track cycling as a hobby.

So do you just want to look like that or do you want to be able to cycle (vaguely) like a pro cyclist?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom