*** The 2011 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Hello all,

I'm starting a new routine, and by routine it's a lifestyle change. I've never been a morning person and I want to snap out of it so I've decided to change and go to the gym at 7 in the morning for between 35-45 mins a session. I've been doing this quite successfully for the past 2 weeks and now I'm in the routine of going to bed that little bit earlier and getting up early, it seems to be working. I'm quite fortunate that the gym is quiet in the mornings and it's a 5 minute drive from home and then a 10 minute drive to work from the gym. The ultimate aim is to bike to the gym and then to work to involve cardio, but this would require getting up even earlier so I'm taking it one stage at a time.

My diet is a lot cleaner now and over the coming months I need to guage if I'm eating enough / too much as I tend to get run down if I exercise consistently over a period of time.

The Plan:

Monday - Friday every morning before work hit the gym working one body part for 4 sets x weight.
e.g.
Mon - Chest
Tues - Triceps
Weds - Back
Thurs - Shoulders
Fri - Legs
Sat - Rest out season / Football in season
Sun - Rest

There is no bicep day as it's such a small muscle group and is pretty exhausted during the back exercises the day before so I see no need to exercise this muscle group for 45 minutes.

I'd post the actual exercises I'm doing for each session if it'd help but I'm not sure on the correct names. I did have a website but lost the bookmark. They are mainly freeweight exercises with the exception of triceps as they I find using the cable machines effective.

I'd like to become a lot leaner and I think by lifting weights with a relatively clean diet and my body consuming energy to build / repair muscles is the way forward for me.

The question is, would 35 - 45 minutes per session be sufficient for my goals?

Any advice appreciated.

Soldato
I'd stick the chest and tricep days together, and literally stick a couple of bicep exercises on to the end of a back work out. That way you could do:
Mon - Chest and tris
Tues - Rest/cardio
Wednesday - back and bis
thursday - Shoulders
Friday - legs

Much more conventional workout, gives you a proper rest between lifting days, and will be good for easing you in to it. Otherwise I dare say you'll eventually tire yourself out, or start beating yourself up if you miss a day, etc etc.

Rest is just as important for growing as lifting is, and I think you could do with a days rest between each day of lifting.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I'd stick the chest and tricep days together, and literally stick a couple of bicep exercises on to the end of a back work out. That way you could do:
Mon - Chest and tris
Tues - Rest/cardio
Wednesday - back and bis
thursday - Rest/cardio
Friday - legs

Much more conventional workout, gives you a proper rest between lifting days, and will be good for easing you in to it. Otherwise I dare say you'll eventually tire yourself out, or start beating yourself up if you miss a day, etc etc.

Rest is just as important for growing as lifting is, and I think you could do with a days rest between each day of lifting.

I would ram shoulders onto Wednesday...then as you say just put a few curls onto a random workout :p

Soldato
Good spot there Delvis, can't believe I missed shoulders out! Edited for clarity.

I'd hoy shoulders in on the Thursday as that'll give them plenty of time after your chest/tri day to recover, and your tri's and shoulders won't be required too much for your leg day :) Traps might be slightly fatigued if you're doing pull ups, but really not enough to worry about :)

Soldato
Agreed tom_e, I'm just going by the fact he was after 30 - 45 minute workouts. When I combined shoulders and legs on to one day, I was there for about an hour each session :)

Soldato
Thanks for the comments guys. As you've suggested alternative workout structures, do you not think how I'm doing it now will work?

I'm not completely new to weightlifting but I've never really stuck to it to get the gains I want. I can't see myself having enough time to cram in two muscle group exercises together in 35-45 minute workouts, especially in a morning where you are more susceptable to injury.

I prefer to work from very light up to my max weight/reps. e.g. I'm chest pressing 22kg dbells at the moment for my max x8 reps, I know it's not huge weights but the way I'd lift would be:

8x12kg
8x14kg
8x16kg
8x18kg
8x20kg

8x22kg
24kg to failure.

This morning I did this workout and I only managed what's in bold. I realise this method will tire the muscle due to high reps preventing me pushing the bigger weights but this is to sufficiently warm the muscle with lower weights to reduce the risk of injury and then move up the weight. I also find it helps keep my form correct.

Last edited:

kai

kai

Soldato
Shoot me down in flames, but i am personally sick of the question;

"So how much do you bench?" Anytime you strike up a conversation in the gym it always reverts back to this, even talking to non - gym friends etc.

Surely this is common misconception; I have been training close to 2years now; probably 1year actually training, proper lifestyle, diet etc. But I have zero idea how much I can bench for 1Rep Max nor do I care!

Is this wrong of me, yes I guess it’s good to know your strength and what you are physically capable of and how much you can push but I prefer to push myself through a series of reps.

Sorry sounded like a rant, but last night was training back and doing my usual set of muscle ups; a few people are intrigued by this exercise; so I will show them how to execute give a few points and how to perform the action. Because they could not perform the exercise, and me stating it will take a few weeks practise and to stick with it they insisted on asking the question – “yeah but how much do you bench; as if its like the holy grail of strength and way of determining your manpower!!!

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Are you not able to train in the evening?

For your db chest press I would do something like this.

Dynamic stretch
12kg x 8
16kg x 6
20kg x 8
20kg x 8
20kg x 8

3 good working sets. If you can't manage 20kg for all 3 then perhaps drop it to 18kg.

Soldato
8x12kg
8x14kg
8x16kg
8x18kg
8x20kg

8x22kg
24kg to failure.

Someone may well come along and disagree with me, but I wouldn't work that way. A brief few minutes on the treadmill to get the heart rate up, one set of 10 at 10kg, one set of 5 at 16kg, then I'd be working for 3x8 at 22kg. Also, you don't have to work to failure in order to build muscle.

Edit: Yes, I'd agree with LiE here :)

Soldato
Are you not able to train in the evening?

For your db chest press I would do something like this.

Dynamic stretch
12kg x 8
16kg x 6
20kg x 8
20kg x 8
20kg x 8

3 good working sets. If you can't manage 20kg for all 3 then perhaps drop it to 18kg.

I can train in the evening but I want to train in the morning to change my lifestyle habit as mentioned above.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime

I think it's kind of ingrained into a lot of people in the gym. If they ask you how much you can bench, tell them it doesn't matter because you're not a power lifter. I can understand power lifters talk about how much they can lift on various exercises, as lifting the most is the aim of the game.

I can train in the evening but I want to train in the morning to change my lifestyle habit as mentioned above.

I understand, but I can't help but feel you would do much better with a better split in the evening where you have more time.

Last edited:
Associate
Not a bad back session, managed 170kg deadlift for two and 180kg for one:) Not back to strength yet tho as the 180 was a bit of a struggle to lock out, but not far off.

Also did pullups, chins, bent over rows and a few barbell curls.

Then the gym owner showed me around his Ford Mustang that he is restoring. Very nice too!

Soldato
I understand, but I can't help but feel you would do much better with a better split in the evening where you have more time.

I hear what your saying but the overall time spent over the week would probably equal the same, if not more the way I'm doing it?

I used to train in the evenings doing a chest/tri, back/bi and shoulders/legs split but due to money constraints I can't afford a decent gym and the gym I'm going to is far too busy in the evenings to train.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom