*** The 2011 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Something is really bugging me lately, it's deadlifts. Every single person I see in the gym seems to do this, and I want to know if it's just me being picky or are people not doing it properly. Basically most guys will setup, get quite low and lift the weight, but after that their ass never goes low again and they don't rest the weight long enough at the bottom. I found a video on youtube which kind shows what I mean.

My understanding is that after each rep you go back down to the starting position i.e. your ass is low and the weight is fully rested.

This is how I deadlift, I'm tempted to video myself and check my form is spot on.

Associate
I think it depends on if your lifting for hypertrophy or not. I remember reading somewhere that, generally, for hypertrophy you want constant tension on the muscle. Which effectively means doing 9/10's of the ROM. If you put the bar down your releasing the tension in the muscle.

Soldato
I'm forcing myself to 3 days off the gym:( hurt both arms lol :(

seems to be inner depths of forearms - feels that horrible achy feeling when you pull your bicep or tricep or rotator cuffs

but eminating from the inners of the forearms:(

over worked I think - at the gym it was agony (like it was lastnight -I'm a fool I know) - but after 2 hrs after gym it almost totally goes

Associate
I also do it the same way (as in the same guy as in the first video) as I think it's far more effective to keep the tension constantly. It keeps you from resting between reps and I feel that I get more out of it.
people that let go of the the bar completely after getting it up are far worse.

I don't think you're compromising the ROM in any way, if anything it's even harder to do it like that.

Last edited:

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
I find it easier to do it like the first video, because you are effectively bouncing it off the floor. You also miss out on the best part of the deadlift which is lifting a dead weight from the very bottom with your ass low.

Soldato
I prefer to put the bar down properly between reps. The way I see it: if the bar aint dead, it's not a deadlift.

That's not to say there aren't advantages to keeping tension and bouncing the bar. At least you're actually doing some deadlifts, unlike 90% of gym goers.:)

Soldato
If it's not stopping dead on the floor after each rep then they ain't deads. By all means do them without making contact, but you should practice doing proper deadlifts as well if not you'll probably find yourself unable to actually get the bar off the ground in the future as you've been neglecting that part of the lift for so long.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Morba from what I've seen in my local gym the weight hits the floor and bounces a small amount, there's never any resting of the weight. I thought the whole point of a deadlift was to lift it from a complete rest position each time.

Caporegime
OP
Morba from what I've seen in my local gym the weight hits the floor and bounces a small amount, there's never any resting of the weight. I thought the whole point of a deadlift was to lift it from a complete rest position each time.

Unless it's really light weights, I can't see why it would be of any benefit, a bounce would lose constant tension and at the point you pull but the weight stops bouncing there will be a big jolt.
I really doubt it adds anything to the lift, I could be wrong though.

Man of Honour
Well going for a run yesterday didn't help my squatting today! It was hard bloody work!

Ok so it was only 130kg for 4 sets of 8 reps... but it felt a LOT heavier.... What was funny was the fact there were a bunch of a kids in there, and they asked me why I went so deep!! :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom