*** The 2011 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
First day back to training since my injury.
I broke a sweat after only 5 minutes of work, it's mental.
Went well though, no pain and just some tightness in my lowerback a bit.

Deadlifts
Bar x10
35kg x5
55kg x5
55kg x5
55kg x5

Latpull downs
80kg x5
110kg x10
110kg x10
110kg x6
110kg x4

The last set turned into 2 because my biceps failed, embarrasing.

Cable Rows
25kg x10
35kg x10
40kg x10

Skull Crushers

35kg x10
35kg x10
35kg x10

Thoracic Mobilty on the foamroller, followed by lots more rolling of my back and legs.
Then 20 minutes of stretching.

Got home, showered and then iced by back while eating a tonne of chickenwings and toffee popcorn.

I went really late today, and the place was packed. People looked at me like I was mental or something, they've never seen deadlifts or foamrollers before.

I've decided to drop mixed grip on my deadlifts in entirely, to prevent any chances of imbalances and curvature of my spine in the future.

I know it means I'll make slow progress without straps but I can deal with that.
I shall also be ordering my weightlifting shoes this week.

I just home I feel good tomorrow from this all.

Last edited:
Soldato
It's the Thoracic spine, increasing mobility in it decreases mobilty in thye lumbar region. Helps makes you more flexible and to help prevent injury.

2 weeks ago I crushed a nerve cluster in my lumbar region and I'm only starting back today.

I had no problem with it, I could easily make my head touch the groun while doing it with the roller at low, med and high positions.

I'm tight as hell in my back and hips.

Man of Honour
Nightmare, if you were able to do it easily it's fairly likely you weren't being strict enough. Try doing it in reverse, start with your arms overhead and flat on the floor (as well as your head), and then maintaining a neutral spine (belly tight, squeeze glutes) try to get your bum and as much of your back down as possible.

Also, ideally your meant to mobilise each vertebra.

Soldato
Nightmare, if you were able to do it easily it's fairly likely you weren't being strict enough. Try doing it in reverse, start with your arms overhead and flat on the floor (as well as your head), and then maintaining a neutral spine (belly tight, squeeze glutes) try to get your bum and as much of your back down as possible.

Also, ideally your meant to mobilise each vertebra.

Done.

Not that hard really. Besides my muscles being tight from the injury and them stretching that's about it really.

I use to do all of this before daily at the gym in college with the rollers.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Fair enough, you flexible mofo ;)

There are some other variations that I do, but I can't find videos of them...basically you put your hands on your head while sat down and first rotate left a little and point your left elbow to the ground a little, then find a medium position with a medium bend, then finally rotate as far as you can to the left and bend as far as you can. Then repeat for the right side.

But if you have a lacrosse/hockey ball, use that in between your spine and shoulder blades and extend your arm over your head (videos in the mobility thread I think). It's nasty.

Soldato
Fair enough, you flexible mofo ;)

There are some other variations that I do, but I can't find videos of them...basically you put your hands on your head while sat down and first rotate left a little and point your left elbow to the ground a little, then find a medium position with a medium bend, then finally rotate as far as you can to the left and bend as far as you can. Then repeat for the right side.

But if you have a lacrosse/hockey ball, use that in between your spine and shoulder blades and extend your arm over your head (videos in the mobility thread I think). It's nasty.

Don't have a ball, I just put the roller down the length of my spine and fold my arms around me like giving myself a hug and hold. Specially to stretch that nasty tight muscles between my shoulder blades.

Soldato
I might, although i'm only tight because of that nerve making everything go into spasm.

A tennis ball should work aswell and is soft enough.

I just want my new shoes to arrive, I want to get use to them early on.

Also, I'm going to start going front squats again, can't backsquat on that silly decline smiths here so that'll do. Since I basically have to do a reset of my lifts I can slowly build that up as well.

####EDIT!:: Just ordered my Adidas Power Perfect II's form Sugarrays.co.uk. It was £90 pound, saved me £10 compared to Pullum-Sports, also cheaper then in Ireland.

Strangely if you go to Pullum and select the currency are Euro the shoe €145 euro, which with the exchange rate is about £130. That's a mental increase. I'm glad I ordered from Sugarrays.

Anyway I hope they arrive soon and I'll give you folks a mini review.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Ugh...I hate my body, it just falls apart :(

Bloody knee hurts again, I went for a small HIIT type jog on Friday, my knee / body just hates running even though i'd like to do it in my present situation...Next option is cycling....It's just that there is a nice field behind my house and its perfect for doing running laps :(

Soldato
Ugh, hurt knee? Like a burning or stinging sensation?

My knees go on fire when I try cycling. Which is odd since I use to cycle most of my life.

You could also try the good ole crosstrainers, although it's just not the same as being outside.

I love going for walked on the Curragh near my house, sadly running and shin splits is a bitch.

Edit: I think I'm becoming the Gymrats Thorpy, I'm posting so much in here.

Caporegime
Ugh, hurt knee? Like a burning or stinging sensation?

My knees go on fire when I try cycling. Which is odd since I use to cycle most of my life.

You could also try the good ole crosstrainers, although it's just not the same as being outside.

I love going for walked on the Curragh near my house, sadly running and shin splits is a bitch.

Edit: I think I'm becoming the Gymrats Thorpy, I'm posting so much in here.

Neither, its just niggles like hell...Feels like it wants to move around more than it should =/...Hurts above the knee more really, swear I have ligament problems there as i've been to the physio about it before.

I tend to get shin splints after i've exercised, like a day or two after :p...Cycling isn;t too bad for me, but when my knee was really bad it hurt like hell :(

Meh, problem with cross trainers is that I need to pay to use them! ;)

Soldato
You could always do what I do, load up a 30-40kg hiking bag and go walking.

Then you can walk while people look at you like you're mad and just think, "haters gonna hate!".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom