*** The 2011 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
bit of advice please...

Work for the next 3 months is going to prevent me going to the gym on a weekday, I'll still be able to go on a saturday/sunday.

The place where I'm working has a gym but it's minimally equipped with just dumbells a couple of benches and then cardio equipment.

I am thinking I can still get a decent routine in, even if perhaps it's not quite optimal, my thinking currently is:

Saturday: Heavy A
Sunday: Heavy B (different bodyparts)
Monday: cardio
Tuesday: Light dynamic effort A
Wed: Off
Thurs: Light dynamic B
Fri: Cardio

I'm a bit stuck for exercise selection though, Weekend I'd like to keep squats and deadlifts but obviously doing them on consecutive days isn't ideal. On the light days I figure Lunges, Jump squats, db snatches, c&p but I'm open to suggestions.

Don't really want to waste 3 months but I could do with a bit of advice how to set things up really.

dod

dod

Soldato
had a decent session tonight.

Still doing a stronglifts like routine but trying to get more volume

Squats
8X 60/70/80/90
2X5X100
10X60 to finish

T-Bar rows (something in my shoulder pulls doing BOR's)
3X10X40kG

One arm bent over rows
2X8X25kG

OHP
3X10X35kG

Soldato
I'll be Investing in a pair of proper lifting shoes lads. Both my Doctors have been saying I should, specially for stability for my lowerback and lordosis. As the raised heal will help stop me form leaning forward on the squat, putting more pressure on the lower back, which at the moment is well ploughed.

I've been looking around and I'll probably get a pair of Adidas Power Perfect II's, as they've replaced the Ironworks.

powerperfect.jpg

Prices are all over the place though. In Ireland they're €139
http://www.profitness-supplies.com/.../adidas-ironwork-iii-weightlifting-shoes.html

http://www.pullum-sports.co.uk/clot...-perfect-ii-weightlifting-shoes/prod_664.html £100

It's not amazing for deadlifting but it's much better for depth of squats and my clean and presses.

I was thinking of maybe just using the ole Chuck Taylors for deadlifting, or getting the deadlifting slippers, they're cheap as well.

http://www.pullum-sports.co.uk/clothing-and-shoes/shoes/deadlift-slippers/prod_126.html

liftingslippers.jpg

£10 for the slippers or £60 pound for addidas deadlifting shoes/boots.

I'll probably go for the slippers and Perfect Power II's and order them at the same time.

Oh the choices, also I tried cheaper Do-Wins before and the sizing is annoying, the addidas is apparently 100% size as normal runners so that'll be easy. Just pick the same as the my old Chuck Taylors which is 1/2 size smaller then my normal shoes for a snug fit.

Most of the forums I trawled through people also bought the Adidas at the same as at their converse for 100% same snug fit. As the shoes are more narrow then normal lifting ones.

Last edited:
Associate
Good shout on the shoes dude. I got some great insoles about a year ago to stick in all my shoes (gym shoes, casual shoes etc) that were supposed to help with my lordosis. It didn't make me go 'wow all better now' but it did help a lot! I'm heading out to American in a few weeks and I was looking at getting some proper lifting shoes too - and like you - see a lot of recommendations for the ironworks and the PPs.. might be joining you on the PP club!

Soldato
I know what you mean, insoles eve molded ones aren't that great.

I'm very pleased that my regular doctor is also a physio and the same for my back one I recently saw. They deal a lot of athletes it seems and both of them were trying to beat it into me to get proper shoes.

Specially for stability alone with my back, even more so are the spinal adjustments and how crucial it is at the moment when I start going into physio and training Monday.

There's also an article I read from Ole Mark Rippetoe reccomending weightlifting shoes with a heal also for deadlifting. Although anything over a 1.25 inch heel will just impare you lift instead of help by recruiting your quads a bit.

Most lifting shoes are actually 0.75 heel height, considerin the measurement from the sole under the toes to the top of the heel. So a 1.25inch heel from ground to top should be 0.75 inches if measured and taking into account for the sole under the toes as well. Still damn good, although Mark Rippetoe states a 0.5inch is the perfect match.

Last edited:
Associate
Had a brilliant chest/tris session today. 4 mile cycle on the fixed gear to the gym (all slight incline, end heavy incline) for a nice warm up then a session with slightly lower weights building up, but much slower, more controlled movement and I could really feel it by the end.

Then a lovely downhill cycle home.

Man of Honour
I've decided that I'm going to do a short HST cycle before I dive into Smolov. It probably isn't the best idea to jump in head first when I haven't really done any hard squatting in about a month...

I might do 6 weeks, or I might sack off the 5s completely, not sure yet.

Man of Honour
I've decided that I'm going to do a short HST cycle before I dive into Smolov. It probably isn't the best idea to jump in head first when I haven't really done any hard squatting in about a month...

I might do 6 weeks, or I might sack off the 5s completely, not sure yet.

How was your competition?

Only asking here because you didn't reply to my text, nob :p

I'm enjoying brookes gym - take about 15-20 minutes to get there... today was a bit of a struggle on the way back though, sweat city :eek:

Man of Honour
I have no knowledge of said text <looks in phone, finds said text> yep no idea what you're talking about.

I posted the full (excuse ridden) story a few pages back, but the short of it is that I was well over weight in the morning before I left.

Somewhat soul destroying-ly, it turns out that the scales they were using at the official weigh ins was massively miscalibrated, to the tune of 3kg for some people, so we probably both would have been fine :/

Soldato
Ahhh Scott that sucks. Like you said though, there are always more comps! You should deffo go to that bench comp with Ed. Let me know if you do, I will enjoying coming along to scream at you

Man of Honour
Yeah I'm thinking about it, although I'd mostly be going to support Ed as my bench is poo.

There is another comp in August that is with a different federation (BDFPA), so I might also do that one depending on how training goes now.

edit: realistically, I think for me to be sure of a record that would stand for at least a little while I'd need to get around 265kg. If all goes to plan and I have a fairly strict summer, that is probably just about achievable by November.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I have no knowledge of said text <looks in phone, finds said text> yep no idea what you're talking about.

I posted the full (excuse ridden) story a few pages back, but the short of it is that I was well over weight in the morning before I left.

Somewhat soul destroying-ly, it turns out that the scales they were using at the official weigh ins was massively miscalibrated, to the tune of 3kg for some people, so we probably both would have been fine :/

Too many 'jugs' it would seem :p

Man of Honour
:( yep was certainly part of the problem! :D

I'm up for some strongman stuff btw, nothing like killing yourself in the sun while being totally humiliated by the weights someone else is literally throwing around... :)

Man of Honour
:( yep was certainly part of the problem! :D

I'm up for some strongman stuff btw, nothing like killing yourself in the sun while being totally humiliated by the weights someone else is literally throwing around... :)

Not sure if I said, but I did some type flips / medley with discus Ben and GPT... pretty tough! :eek:

Apparently DB hurt his back on his third event today and had to stop competing, balls :(

Permabanned
When I'm not posting from my phone - I'm going to do some serious weeding in here.

|Guys, either behave or STFU or I'll just ban you. Simples. I don't want ****s in this thread, I want people to enjoy posting here and be able to ask for help.

If I see anyone taking the **** or being a **** or trolling - exepct not to be able to post for a while.

I seriouly suggest going over any of your posts in the next 24hrs if you still fancy posting in here.

Trolls and ****s will not be tolerated.

End of.

First time posting back since my bannage, wise words

I will not bite to Psycho posts or even reply any more, plus too much bro science on here, I wont be asking for advice any more, I pick a plan and stick to it and its working for me so

idUjLS.gif

I might come across as **** but I am harmless ;)

Right back on topic

Been hitting the gym and cardio this month hard. Feel like I need a rest but just have the mantra no excuses, cardio is the only thing keeping me going, I am cycling everywhere HIIT 5-6 mile route and back, get to gym and just pumped for the session, cycle back oh lawd.

Did back and shoulders today and feeling it now.

My finest level is off the wall.

Last edited:
Soldato
Lol, Broscience?

Don't you know, you should always lift with your lowerback, arching your lumbar spine for support.

Also forget legs, curlz get the gurlz so just focus on that and using the peck deck 3000.

Permabanned
Lol, Broscience?

Don't you know, you should always lift with your lowerback, arching your lumbar spine for support.

Also forget legs, curlz get the gurlz so just focus on that and using the peck deck 3000.

Like I said too much info, you have every tom dick and harry throwing in stuff at times.

It can be confusing, takes a while for one to understand and put it into practice in a gym, on your own and see results, no doubt you did it all by being the big man in the gym with loads of mates and help.

This can be shortened down to: "lolcheets64".

I aint even mad, I look better, feel stronger, am fitter and most of the info from a book :p

First post back and I am like

idUbpC.gif

Why the hate?

Like I said I got back on topic after my outburst, I am here the same reason as everyone else, lift more, look better, feel better.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom