*** The 2011 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
Except the pectorials are just one muscle - and most people don't need to work on the "lower" pec. Tbh, incline, flies and dips are far better exercises for chest.

yeah, i did say afterwards that i got it the wrong way round, DY states that most people think that decline only hits the lower pec but it works the full pec.

going to give his routine a try, just need to input it into ipod.

Caporegime
iPod?!

I just listen to the country music best hits that's on in my gym.

i have a home gym, so i have my own sound system, the music i play is varied, dance, r'n'b, rap and bhangra.

i use an app on my ipod to create workouts, input how much weight im lifting, how many reps, etc. the ipod stores all of this information and i use that as my target to beat in the next workout, it also creates graphs and other fancy stuff which i dont bother too much with.

so after each set, i go to my ipod whilst it is hooked up to my sound system and input the data for that set, then walk back to rack and get ready or set it up for the next set.

i bought my ipod touch solely for the app, but i now use it for music too, before hand i used CD's in my system, but this way im killing 2 birds with 1 stone so to speak.

Soldato
I also have an app like that, it's called my memory.
I remember what I did, how it went. What was a weakspot what needs improvement and all that.

Best training music around. Just think of making that PR yours.

Last edited:
Caporegime
just watching the dorian yates tips video and he says something which i said earlier in the supplements thread and people who use that leangains website shot down.

dorian yates says that your body can only use so much protein in 1 go and your body needs 1.5g per lb of bodyweight, so if you weight 200lbs you need 300g of protein per day. he says the best way to do that is by having 5-6 (small meals) a day, obviously each meal would be 50-60g of protein.

he also says if you eat too much protein in 1 go, your body just flushes it out of your system. so if you were having 2/3 meals a day with 100-150g of protein in it, most of that protein would just get flushed out.

so the people who are using IF fasting my theory on how it works is true, if what dorian yates also states is true, i'll try and find my posts and repost them in here on my theory.

Soldato
Yes but is DY just regurgitating old, out-dated information which has since been proven wrong by the scientific papers provided by Leangains........?

Also is it not a case that there's a "peak amount" of protein your body can absorb? Ie, you absorb 40g of protein at 100% absorbtion rate (for pure example, not actual figures), and the higher you go the lower this absortion figure becomes? I thought that was the science behind it, although again this may all be de-bunked stuff.

Why don't you go on to Leangains and read the science behind it yourself, rather than a YouTube video of a pro-bodybuilder who may well merely be set in his ways.........? :)

Associate
Yes but is DY just regurgitating old, out-dated information which has since been proven wrong by the scientific papers provided by Leangains........?

Don't get me wrong I think leangains is a great site but you're comparing a guy that won the Mr O. 6 times in a row with some wannabe internet "scientist" that is about half the size Yates was.

Caporegime
OP
Don't get me wrong I think leangains is a great site but you're comparing a guy that won the Mr O. 6 times in a row with some wannabe internet "scientist" that is about half the size Yates was.

I'm not sure that makes too much difference really. I'd trust someone who has studied nutrition and how the body works over someone who lifts some weights, does some roids and eats lots....

GAC

GAC

Soldato
yeah gads, after about 12 weeks of doing very little besides walking the dog a mile and half in the evenings thanks to a mystery foot pain (ultrasound results tomorow) iv finaly got back in the gym.

had a good hour but yet again couldnt get anywhere near the suqat rack as per normal, seems its the new bench for chatting around while doing extreamly slow reps.

but tossed out 3x10 60kg bench press and 3x10 40kg on the hack squat machine, only real lifts of note tbh the rest was just getting myself back at it.

now just see what the docs says tomorow and see if i can get myself back under 300lbs once more, and who knows if i can get my foot sorted one last try (again) at playing american football again.

Soldato
Exactly what Morba says. The Leangains guy does a lot of research into the science and nutrition behind it. I dare say DY didn't have a day job when he went pro, had people sorting him out with diet plans, giving him massive plates of food with one hand and a sack of 'roids in t'other! They're not comparable walks of life.

If you want to do things the way DY did it, then get taking those juices - although I don't think he'd ever come out and say to do so!

Associate
Isomeone who lifts some weights, does some roids and eats lots....
if only it were that easy, we'd see a dozen Mr Olympia competitors in each gym, wouldn't we?
Exactly what Morba says. The Leangains guy does a lot of research into the science and nutrition behind it. I dare say DY didn't have a day job when he went pro, had people sorting him out with diet plans, giving him massive plates of food with one hand and a sack of 'roids in t'other! They're not comparable walks of life.

If you want to do things the way DY did it, then get taking those juices - although I don't think he'd ever come out and say to do so!

leangains is great for losing weight, yes. But if muscle building is your goal, we're talking about a completely different kettle of fish.

Soldato
The whole point of leangains is that you can put on lean muscle whilst not gaining fat or even improving your body composition/reducing fat. It's a slower process and aimed at natural lifters so not tailored for those that would want to follow in Mr O's footsteps, but to say that his knowledge is not as credible as Mr O's is just ridiculous in my opinion :)

Caporegime
if only it were that easy, we'd see a dozen Mr Olympia competitors in each gym, wouldn't we?

leangains is great for losing weight, yes. But if muscle building is your goal, we're talking about a completely different kettle of fish.

+1

this guy has hit the nail on the head.

leangains is good for maintaining muscle or growing slightly and losing weight, for building muscle mass at the optimum rate, you need a regular intake of protein, carbs, etc.

i'll post my theory below:

its better to have 10g of protein every hour than 100g of protein every 10 hours

intermittent fasting works on the principle that fasting does not equal catabolic state so long as you break the fast within 16 hours is it?

therefore your body wont eat your muscles as long as you feed it within 16 hours after your last meal.

but on the other hand your muscles try to repair themselves 24/7 but they repair faster when you are sleeping/resting and when your not using them.

for example if i broke my leg, the body would constantly try to heal it, as long as i wasnt using it, but it would heal faster whilst sleeping.

therefore for optimum growth, you really need to be drip feeding nutrients to your body 24/7 because the body is trying to heal 24/7, but your body can still grow so long as you feed it i think at least every 16 hours before it goes catabolic.

using the broken leg as an analogy, lets say i break my leg and im doing intermittent fasting, the leg will still heal, because im not going catabolic, but it will heal slower in the fasting period and at the optimum rate during/after the eating period.

thats the way i see it.

people use intermittent fasting to burn bodyfat and grow muscle, simply due to whilst your fasting your burning fat and before you start to burn muscle, you eat again and when you eat, thats when muscle building kicks back in, before going back to burning fat when your bodies nutrients have stopped being fed to it.

i dont know if i have explained that all properly. any questions are welcome.

interrupting sleep would be the worst thing you can do. eating nutrients before sleeping is probably the best thing you can do.

taking steroids, eating and training doesn't turn you into a mr olympia, i know that for a fact. so i would give dorian yates his due when it comes to giving advice over some guy who cant put together a clear and concise website.

Caporegime
The whole point of leangains is that you can put on lean muscle whilst not gaining fat or even improving your body composition/reducing fat. It's a slower process and aimed at natural lifters so not tailored for those that would want to follow in Mr O's footsteps, but to say that his knowledge is not as credible as Mr O's is just ridiculous in my opinion :)

there is a reason why it's a slower process and its got **** all to do with being natural, it's to do with fasting, fasting makes it a slower process but also a leaner process.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom