*** The 2011 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
i think dorian yates said it hits the lower pec better, and he is a former mr olympia winner for several years straight

I don't think there's such thing as the lower pec :p. It's one muscle at the end of the day, I guess different people will have different insertions which may give the feeling/appearance of 'lower' pecs.

you should do all 3 (alternate between them if you cant do them in the same day), does it really matter if incline works your shoulders more, at least you know your shoulders are getting bigger too.

I do all three, but have started leaving incline to last as I find much better chest activation from flat & decline.

http://bodybrowser.googlelabs.com/body.html# ***

Last edited:
Soldato
Skillmaster- September not far off now :)

I can't believe we're heading towards mid July

mind you it means another birthday approaching:( - mid 30s here we come !! :(

I know but i feel like im losing whatever gains i made last year :( Ah well this coming year is going to be a beast.

Yeah its going fast, im 20 in a few weeks :o

Caporegime
I don't think there's such thing as the lower pec :p. It's one muscle at the end of the day, I guess different people will have different insertions which may give the feeling/appearance of 'lower' pecs.

I do all three, but have started leaving incline to last as I find much better chest activation from flat & decline.

http://bodybrowser.googlelabs.com/body.html# ***

i normally pick 2 of the 3 and do them and alternate each chest session

that link says that the abs (6 pack) are all 1 muscle too, is that correct?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Weirdly enough, I have given myself an injury from dips months ago that still means I can't do a decline press motion - it's instant pain. Weirdly, I'm fine on regular bench and incline, I must have pulled / torn a very specific part of my peck!

I've been stalling on 5x5 on 60kg bench press for ages but I've recently made it. I'm already dreading the thought of going higher :eek:

On my chest, shoulder, tricep day I usually hit bench first then military press, followed by incline press. If I swap them round so that I do incline first I can naturally lift much more on the incline, by the time I get round to regular bench I'm absolutely useless :D

Going up again on squats tomorrow - a mighty 5x5 on 87.5kg :o :D

Getting there :)

Last edited:
Caporegime
Permabanned
Incline Dumbbell Press (45 degree incline): 1 warm up set of 10-12 reps, 1 working set of 6-8 reps to failure, desired weight (1 min rest between sets, increase weight)
Dorian's Tips: Lower weight slowly, explode up.

Did that exact same routine today by chance

Soldato
I always thought:

Decline - lower chest
Flat Bench - mid chest
Incline - upper chest

Would be interested to know if the changes in bench angle actually effect your chest in different ways?

Man of Honour
[TW]Sponge;19524241 said:
I always thought:

Decline - lower chest
Flat Bench - mid chest
Incline - upper chest

Would be interested to know if the changes in bench angle actually effect your chest in different ways?

It affects your shoulder input more than anything else.

IT depends on your form and how you train rather than just the fact you're doing different exercises.

Caporegime
Except the pectorials are just one muscle - and most people don't need to work on the "lower" pec. Tbh, incline, flies and dips are far better exercises for chest.

But you just said that incline works like shoulder press for you? ;)

Joking

May I ask, in that DY video on the rotator cuff warmup, if that one of the best ways to do it? As I used to do it another way and I think thats why my shoulder screwed up a while back :(

Man of Honour
Going up again on squats tomorrow - a mighty 5x5 on 87.5kg :o :D
Managed to squeeze this out in the end, hooray! Thought I was going to buckle and die though!

Also:

Zero pull ups, 4 chin ups.

Hear me roar, grrrr!

The above was posted at the end of November. Recently completed my goal of 3 sets of 5 pull ups followed by 3 sets of 5 chin ups - now looking to increase reps.

Progress!

Soldato
Managed to squeeze this out in the end, hooray! Thought I was going to buckle and die though!

Funnily enough I managed doing 2x10 @ 95kg on my squats, yet 3x5 at 110kg was too difficult! :p

Great progress on the pull ups/chins front though, and I think I'm exactly the same as you. Back end of last year, I couldn't really do 1 - now I can crack off 3x5 and still have more left in me for a few chin ups to finish my back off!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom